Author Topic: Never Too Cold to Grill  (Read 31229 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Never Too Cold to Grill
« on: December 16, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »
So, it's 25F (I refuse to convert to C) degrees outside with an 11 degree wind chill, so that means it's perfect grilling weather. So, I ask you loyal forum goers and friendly trolls, what do you like best on the grill?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Never Too Cold to Grill
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 06:07:02 PM »
Burgers. That is my answer to very nearly everything regarding food, meat, or burning materials. Vegetable collections sliced and grilled in oil (you have to use foil) is my second favorite.

What do you grill with? I've been on propane due to the ease of use for years and years but I do have an old charcol grill in the basement for special occations.

Addition: I store it in the basement, I don't cook in the basement, in case somebody was going to comment on that.

Patrick

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:18:16 PM »
Seth, theres nothing like some grilled asparagus and salmon...

If you're not a fish fan, you can always go the spare ribs route with a nice dry rub. I tend to brush the ribs with sauce about 5 minutes before the ribs are fully cooked.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:19:49 PM by Patrick »
[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Seth, theres nothing like some grilled asparagus and salmon...

I have the stuff to grill salmon, and other fish, but haven't tried it yet. I will this spring. I want to do a nice tuna steak rubbed with a chili powder, black pepper rub.

What do you grill with? I've been on propane due to the ease of use for years and years but I do have an old charcol grill in the basement for special occations.

I grill on a 22" Weber range grill. And I use Cowboy Hardwood Charcoal as fuel. I love the hardwood flavor, but using a chimney starter is a must.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 06:48:25 PM »
I personally enjoy marinated pork chops, a good dry rub on a ball tip(i usually have my friends mom pre-mix the rub in little baggies for me), and Bacon Wrapped Asparagus drizzled in Balsamic vinegar.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

siriq

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 10:19:11 AM »
my favorite thing to grill is beer can chicken and roast with grilled asparagus, although i did make grilled portabella tops (the large ones the size of burgers) burgers w/ grilled zucchini and yellow squash.  Was amazing!

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »
Oh yeah, I never said what my favorites were.

My favorite beef experience so far was grilling ribeye. I want to grill a porterhouse, but haven't gotten brave enough to attempt it because there would be nothing like fucking up a $25-30 piece of meat.

This Thanksgiving I grilled a turkey breast though that turned out really well. I forgot to get a good picture of it when it was done, but you can see it sitting on the table in this picture. Sitting in front of the turkey is roast that was also grilled. And the apples on the plates were also stuffed and grilled. I can give you the apple recipe if you want it now that I've figured out what I think is the best recipe for them.

Oh, and more details for Tad on my grilling style, I neglected to mention that when I use hardwood charcoal, I mostly practice indirect grilling.

my favorite thing to grill is beer can chicken and roast with grilled asparagus, although i did make grilled portabella tops (the large ones the size of burgers) burgers w/ grilled zucchini and yellow squash.  Was amazing!

This spring, I want to do either a beer marinated chicken or a beer can chicken. Probably do a marinade though. I've got an interesting recipe for a dark Mexican beer and chilis marinade for beef that I want to try too.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:06:59 PM by Setherick »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »
Ah, stuffed apples. My fiance couldn't figure out why you had apples on all of the plates when you posted that picture on the thread where we where talking about gaming rooms.

I've never been adventurous enough to try grilling anything worth more than a few bucks a pound for several reasons. Largely it's because my pallet is a slag-heap and wouldn't know the difference. Also, my preference in meat is well done. Apparently this destroys the flavor or something or so I am told. My solution to a totally dried out piece of meat is to marinade the thing until it starts to pass out of the solid matter state.

I just like my meat cooked the whole way through. My father considers me a grill bohemian.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:22:19 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 02:28:40 PM »
Ah, stuffed apples. My fiance couldn't figure out why you had apples on all of the plates when you posted that picture on the thread where we where talking about gaming rooms.

I've never been adventurous enough to try grilling anything worth more than a few bucks a pound for several reasons. Largely it's because my pallet is a slag-heap and wouldn't know the difference. Also, my preference in meat is well done. Apparently this destroys the flavor or something or so I am told. My solution to a totally dried out piece of meat is to marinade the thing until it starts to pass out of the solid matter state.

I just like my meat cooked the whole way through. My father considers me a grill bohemian.

Tad, if you were my Facebook friend, you would have seen the apple preparation pictures already. :)

The recipe for the stuffed apples went something like this:

Using Cortland Apples, core them and then stuff with Port Salut cheese, brown sugar, and butter. Then grill until the skin starts to peel away from the apple to make sure the butter melts through the sugar and mixes with the cheese.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 02:38:09 PM »
I'm not sure what you guys think a grill is for but I enjoy steak. You can't go wrong, it's awesome.

But there is nothing you can't grill.

My most favorites:

Steak
BBQ Ribs
BBQ Chicken
Hotdogs
Burgers

Grill the shit out of that porterhouse Patrick. I know you can do it.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 05:29:07 PM »
Just put a pork shoulder roast on the grill.

Rub: black pepper, kosher salt, chili pepper, taragon, bay leaves.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 05:35:20 PM »
When I fire up my grill, I usually go for a marinated (olive oil, minced garlic, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, honey, fresh cracked brown pepper, red pepper flakes) flank steak.

Also, sliced pineapple is absurdly good grilled.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 02:05:59 AM »
Gonna make Christmas Eve dinner for my family tonight (tradition that the kids make it on Christmas Eve and my mom makes it on Christmas). Grilling steak, with a rosemary, black pepper, ground dark roast coffee, and a bit of ginger rub.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 02:09:22 AM »
snake....cidar planked like fish
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 07:55:43 AM »
snake....cidar planked like fish

Did you kill that snake yourself or do you know somewhere to buy snake?