Author Topic: Never Too Cold to Grill  (Read 31433 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Never Too Cold to Grill
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »
I'm rezzing this thread to post this monster.

That's a small pork shoulder roast that was jerked and grilled with pineapple.

The Jerk Recipe (Don't ask for amounts of any of these, just don't.)
Sea Salt
All Spice
Ground Ginger
Sweet Basil
Coriander
Cayenne Pepper
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 11:16:35 PM »
No scotch bonnets?
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 07:33:03 PM »
Rezzing this beast - got a couple of lovely bison burgers out back on the grill right now, and it's 36 degrees F local, so I thought this qualifies. Anyone else working on fun cold culinary projects?

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 08:48:03 AM »
Rezzing this beast - got a couple of lovely bison burgers out back on the grill right now, and it's 36 degrees F local, so I thought this qualifies. Anyone else working on fun cold culinary projects?

My semester is wrapping up, so I'll be grilling soon. I'll upload pics from Thanksgiving, but our weather here was hardly freezing - 55 degrees at grill time with no humidity, very un-Wisconsin-like.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »
I had to give a short presentation at a job interview recently. I could give the interview over anything, so I chose BBQ. Because of this, I've been writing up some of my favorite recipes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3h1geb15qvyt196/BBQ%20Recipes.docx

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 11:23:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing, I'm always up to learn some new recipes even though I mostly think of myself as a terrible cook, but then I'm comparing myself to my wife and that just isn't fair for me.

Also, I don't know if it's ever cold cold enough here in my part of Cali to qualify. I think in the dead of winter it might drop just a smidge below 40 on occasion.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 12:09:43 PM »
Slightly off topic but considering getting a smoker or some form. I will put myself in the heresy camp and say I am actually looking for an electric smoker I can do long and cold smoking with. Does anyone have any recommendations?

My current thinking is something like this -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XJGEGY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »
Slightly off topic but considering getting a smoker or some form. I will put myself in the heresy camp and say I am actually looking for an electric smoker I can do long and cold smoking with. Does anyone have any recommendations?

My current thinking is something like this -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XJGEGY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've never heard of such a thing. I'll have to look into them.

Marik

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 10:55:15 AM »
If you need a grill that functions as a smoker as well I would recommend the Big Green Egg. They are not cheap but the flavor and efficiency is fantastic. The lifetime warrenty is a nice perk as well. My favorite thing to grill on it so far is smoked pulled pork. Basically I do the following. Obviously there are more details to this with rubs and setting the chips for constant smoke etc. But heres the basics.

1. I set the temperature at 225 and throw the pork shoulder on at 8am before I go to work.
2. I check at noon (during my lunch break) to see if theres a temperature change (so far in the 5 times I've made this dish no adjustment was needed) and spray the outside with apple juice.
3. Check again at 4:30 and respray with juice.
4. At 6:30 I have delicious smoked pulled pork for supper while I was at the office for all day!

I love my egg and I use it year round in what most Americans would consider a harsh cold climate as I'm from St. John's Newfoundland.

www.biggreenegg.com

Marik

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »
Are you able to do temperatures lower than 100 with the egg?

I will certainly check it out although it might be hard to convince the lady that I need to drop so much money on it. That being said she has a slight addiction to kitchen gadgets so I might be able to swing it.

Marik

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »
The website says temps from 100-900.  It does say it can cold smoke salmon at around 100. The lowest temperature I have kept for any length of time would be around 185. But I havent tried anything lower.

I smoked a 15lb turkey on mine on Saturday. It turned out fantastic.

Marik