Author Topic: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents  (Read 560352 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2011, 07:04:12 PM »
What the hell happened to you being crap in command, Caleb? Your in one episode of the show podcast and you turn into a field commander?

Why don't you guys call Bill and put him on speaker phone? Usually worked in the New World, right?

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
  • I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »
Illusions on Candide would negate his attack roll by making him shoot at air, thus making him burn dice that could be used to dodge or move or use another attack.  Essentially, it serves the same purpose as the illusions attack, though I agree it could be more effective.  My main point is one you seem to agree with: we have to heap status effects and attacks on single enemies if we have a hope of damaging them, whilst at the same time providing ourselves the minimum amount of protection from the other ones.  That's going to require a lot of coordination and cooperation.

So I imagine it would take a round to program the angel.  By the next round, Candide will be up and we have to, at minimum, knock him down again.  That means almost everyone needs to attack him at once, or illusion him successfully, in your case.  Hopefully, the angel will be safe because Thad can knock out the burned Finn in the first round.

So...I can make it at four on Thursday.  How about you guys?

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 15, 2011, 07:21:13 PM »
Crap at combat.  I can plan alright, I suppose.  It's just that when we try to pull off the plan, I'll end up botching five times in a row.  My dice have lead weights on all the critical sides.

But maybe command too, cuz' I certainly didn't help us out if this is the situation we're in  :(

I'm just trying to figure a way to save this campaign.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »
I'm just trying to figure a way to save this campaign.

Isn't that a little over dramatic? I mean, even if everybody dies the game doesn't have to end. The world still needs heroes and stuff. Then again I'm not aware of all the details.

Speaking of PC death, I just had the awesome idea of making an out of character tontine. Start of the campaign everybody puts in money and the last character still alive wins it. The game can't end until there's only one character left. If everyone is wiped out before the last person can collect the money (ie two characters are left and both are killed trying to escape a dungeon) then it rolls over into the next event.

I might have to do that.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »
we did talk about a staple of the superhero genre - hero rebirths and reboots - even if there is a TPK in the collider fight, then PCs can come back.

One note about wheaties: he is grappled by Aegis right now so he has to beat him in an opposed brawl check to break out before he can use his claws power to attack him. Since he has multiple actions 2, he could take 3 actions. It would work like this: roll his full brawl pool of 8d. He then tries to negate all of Aegis brawl pool to hold him. Whoever wins that contest determines if the grapple is held or not. If Wheaties breaks the grapple AND has sets left over, he can then attack with his claws. If Aegis wins and has sets left over, he can make attacks on Wheaties while still holding him.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 15, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »
That does sound like a cool campaign, Tad.

And I guess I am being overly dramatic, but if we TPK, it seems like a brand new campaign, even if we reroll in DIY transhumanism.  Same setting, but we can't really refer to anything we've done in the past 15 games or so, because...you know...dead.  New characters, new conflicts, etc.

Mainly, I'm okay if my character has to die (you should see how much Base Willpower I'm dumping into rolls), but I don't want anyone else to go down if at all possible.  I want this campaign to be New-World worthy in terms of investment, if for no other reason than I can understand some of inside jokes for once.  :)

P.S. I ain't no field commander!  I'm down for whoever suggesting whatever, so long as it has a chance to work and we all work on it together.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #216 on: March 15, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
I'd offer advise but without a dozen or so games of background information I'm not likely to be of much help.

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 15, 2011, 10:30:22 PM »
I can't speak for everyone, but right now, all that's going through my head is:
"OH MY GOD OH MY GOD THIS IS SOOOOO COOL OH MY GOD I CAN'T WAIT TO LISTEN TO THIS"
And I don't do fanboy, so that's saying a lot. Damn, this campaign sounds cool. At least we'll probably get the first episode sometime before the world ends in 2012. :-P  :D

BenignSpy

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2011, 12:45:16 AM »
1. Shift has got to chuck that bitch over the railing. The catwalk isn't  50 feet so it won't kill her, and it might knock her out.  Even if it doesn't knock her out, the weapons are all on the catwalk after the disarm and she'll be prone for a round; it'll reduce her threat greatly and allow shift to immediately grab the .50 (WHICH WE NEED NEED NEED FOR CANDIDE AND HIS SPORE CANNON)

Ross said there is also a one shot anti tank rocket up there that does awesome super area damage. Just an F.Y.I. to help you feel better.
Who Dares, Wins

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2011, 01:37:50 AM »
one note on paragon and candide: I looked up his size and weight - its more like 1600 pounds and 12 feet tall. Given his bulk and proximity to Paragon - he can still block attacks for her even prone since she is small (only 5 feet something) and he is conscious due to his regen.

Oh and someone will need to make a leadership check to keep Baz from bolting for cover next round - 2 members are down and he will focus on not dying instead of attacking if someone can't urge him on to keep fighting. Wheaties is in the middle of a hand to hand fight which he loves so you don't have to worry about him for round 4.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2011, 01:51:46 AM »
update on wheaties and aegis

actually the rules state that a pinned character can attack the person pinning him

so wheaties can attack with the claws - of course Aegis knows this as well. Aegis does gain a +1d bonus for all attacks made on Wheaties and Aegis has multiple actions 1 so he can try 2 actions per round - dodge and attack for example.

Herrigold

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2011, 10:09:25 PM »
Has anyone read the book Candide? It's actually a short, funny read.
It's too late to be clever. I'll try being adventurous.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2011, 10:15:49 PM »
Yes. Yes, I have.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2011, 11:02:22 PM »
Me too.  When Ross uses that character to murder all of us, I imagine he will quip something about it being "the best of all possible worlds."

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2011, 11:39:44 PM »
I loved Candide...

It's funny to imagine a disillusioned Candide running around killing people...