Author Topic: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents  (Read 582174 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: The Heroes of New Arcadia - RPPR Superheroes campaign - Wild Talents
« Reply #510 on: October 31, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »
Ran the Neo-Detroit game last night.

Here's their news updates, given in the form of a small news outlet.

They went looking for a killer by buying pizza and beer and just sort of wandering around the area the murders had been committed in "looking for anything out of place". Turns out that the killer, who had previously attacked lone women, did not approach a group of five men looking for trouble.

Luckily the Talent involved uses Obvious powers and they were able to follow the sounds of the screaming (the screaming of the powers, not of the victim) and find the guy. He got away after inflicting a serious wound on the team's brawler (nearly cut his arm off). They got the woman he was threatening and managed to shake her down for information. She was carrying a large amount of a magical drug common in the district.

They went back the next day and managed to find the guy while he was looking for something and follow him. After their quarry went into a bar a bunch of people ran out the back so they set up an ambush and absolutely creamed the guy when he came running out without any of his defensive abilities up (6x10 in shock, 5x2 with shock & killing, 5x1 with shock) so right away he was out cold and couldn't use his legs. The people who ran away didn't give them any information so they dragged the beaten guy away to take to their "base" for interrogation.

They have no idea what they are doing, they keep screwing up their plans, and they make almost no forward progress as to bettering the city. So, things are going perfectly!

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 31, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
Also, as of the present, Base Raiders has raised more money than all of Ross's previous Kickstarters combined (~$6659). This doesn't count "Get Aaron to GenCon" or "No Security" since those weren't Ross projects and it doesn't count pre-Kickstarter fund raiser efforts.

Kicktraq still has the project trending to just under $20K!  :o

I've been a bit more realistic in my estimates when talking to Ross. I think he'll probably hit about $10K. Prove me wrong people! Get out the word!
Calling it now - I think at minimum Caleb will find employment in writing out the Leviathan, Kickstarter will make at least the 18K mark in the next 24 days. I'll even throw in a casual bet if someone will take it - I lose, I'll run a Skype game for forums-folk, you lose, you run a skype game. Any takers?

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 31, 2012, 05:13:49 PM »
Done. I don't think it will reach 18k. It took of to slow. If you win I'll run Dogs in the Vineyard for you and two other forum members of your chose.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #513 on: October 31, 2012, 05:22:13 PM »
Either way, we win.

Tad: your group sounds like they all make decisions that would have even Aaron sighing in exasperation.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #514 on: October 31, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »
Tad: your group sounds like they all make decisions that would have even Aaron sighing in exasperation.

Pretty much constantly. The major debate for the middle part of the section, after finding out about the street drugs was how they could cash in on the stash they'd gotten from the woman they "saved". I think only two of the characters have well defined moral centers; all of the players enjoy dark humor and don't well seperate their in-character and out-of-character ideas.

As for the wagering, I'll get a piece of this action.

A two session Rogue Trader game says it makes 19K.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:34:06 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 31, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »
Tad, so you want in on the Dogs game?  Because there are two seats left there...
You are on.  Again, as much as I wish it will, I don't think Baseraiders will pass 18K.

I'll be surprised if it passes 12K.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #516 on: October 31, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »
Alright so we've got a spread. How's this look?

<18K: Gorkamorka

>18K: SageNytell

>19K: Tadanori Oyama
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 06:18:46 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 31, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »
I'm liking this. I can either do Call of Cthulhu or try to whip something up for 13th Age.
Edit: I'm gonna have to learn FATE anyway, could try and learn Spirit of the Century for a short game in the next month. Dogs sounds fun, and I absolutely want in on Rogue Trader if it happens.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:58:25 PM by SageNytell »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #518 on: November 07, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »
They guys finished up their interview with the captive this session. They managed to determin after a little banter that the guy felt no weight of emotion and denied killing anyone. When asked why he'd been threatening the woman with the drugs he simply said that she was a drug dealer and drug dealers are bad. He said he was taking the drugs to put someplace no one could use them. Investigation made the PCs think he was either possessed by a demon or that he had made a pact with one. Lacking other options they knocked him out again, put most of the drug they'd acquired on his body, pinned a note to him explaining everything they thought they knew about him, then threw him into a dumpster and called the cops.

What the cops found was a guy in a dumpster, blindfolded, belts around his wrists and ankles, a sandwich bag full of party drugs jammed into his pocket, and a note pinned to him saying "we think this guy killed those women, also he's possessed or made a pact with a demon, just check out that tattoo thing on his left arm", a badly trashed right leg, a left leg with a partly healed bullet hole, and two seperate blows to the head (one in front and one in the back).

The party found out later he was released but don't know why.

Second hook, they looked into one of the scientists at the city's super science university acting strangely and discovered he'd gotten a death threat from an urban legend called Cobra Sentai, who supposedly kills super scientists. To lure him out one of the PCs started a super science blog and tracked the IP number of an unusually charming and persuasive dissenting commenter to an internet cafe but didn't catch anyone. He found out he'd been made when the scientist got a new note telling him to call of the investigation or else.

That's currently a floating hook since the PC isn't sure how he can find the guy.

They bought a police scanner and listened in for Talent crimes. That got them involved in a high speed chase where they stopped the lead car and then (accidentally) threw the chasing car off of the freeway. Turned out the chase car had the Talent (private investigator Theodore Valiant) in it so he walked away from the crash.

The PCs met up with him at his office later to apologize and, all things considered, he was pretty nice about the accidentally flipping him and the car off of the road thing. So they made their first ally in the campaign so far, as long as they stay on the right side of things.

This session revealed some of the holes in the group's skill set. We lost a player who had a broad bonus to all of his abilities, who had been used to close those gaps, so now they need to consider who's going to do what. Everyone is slowly getting comfortable with their powers and with the way that Wild Talents works as a game, like the specific wording of your declarations being extremely important and the reality of multiple actions being pretty difficult.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #519 on: November 08, 2012, 11:02:46 PM »
sounds like an interesting campaign so far - what are your long term goals for it? Do you leave it open as a sandbox or do you have an endgame in mind?

In other news, I got options for Paypal users http://www.baseraiders.com/paypal-option-for-backers/

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #520 on: November 08, 2012, 11:24:36 PM »
It's almost entirely sandbox. They get three or four new plot hooks a week but they can only address one or maybe two normally. Some aren't direct problems but a sort of pre-information about upcoming problems.

For example, the cult of Quetzalcoatl was introduced early on as a sort of new age religion gathering in the city. They are gathering there because Neo-Detroit was the first place to get a major permit from the city for a public gathering. Nothing to do about that in the short term but it sets the stage for later.

There are some long term goals I have for the city and campaign but those aren't really an endgame. I plan to go for a few arcs and then decide what to do for the big end.

The major goal of the game is to discover what happened to Overwatch (our version of The Ideal) which was formed by their old Mutants and Masterminds characters. They know this, out of character, but the first stage of the game is settling themselves in. They all have day jobs to make the rent on their base right now.

Only one of the PCs has taken on a sort of heroic identity but they aren't known to the authorities specifically yet (well, now they are since the news chopper and traffic chopper saw them during the car chase) and what they end up making of themselves is going to change how the world views Talents. I want the players to make that choice with their actions.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #521 on: November 14, 2012, 02:41:08 PM »
Pretty good session this week.

The party managed to locate a collection of human and alien homeless deep under the city who had been hiding out for around twenty years. I used Tucker and Squad Leader from the New Arcadia game with a few changes as the leaders of the group. They are escapees from a Lootian ship that was damaged during the invasion. Squad leader released a collection of human and alien captives rather than let them die in their cells and they all crammed into an escape pod. However, they fired it too late and it's dimensional engine fired in the atmosphere of Earth. They "hit" two miles below the surface of Neo-Detroit without passing between the space between (you know, a little warp accident) and the energy release from the crash created a huge cavern. They dug up into the lower city service tunnels but stayed in their camp underground out of paranoia and lack of other options.

The PCs met them on friendly terms and managed to make a deal with the camp to get their help reaching an Overwatch base deeper in the bedrock. They also put Tucker in contact with John (an AI running an automated factory currently trying to get itself declare a self aware being so it can own itself) and listened in while Tucker gave John the plans for some complex parts. The super scientist in the crew recognised fabber components so now the PCs know the camp has a broken fabber as well.

They left that there and tracked down Cobra Sentai using a robotic double of the Axiom professor to lure him out. In a two on one fight they managed to badly injure him before we got away. At the very end Cobra Sentai was in single combat against the martial artist PCs and attempted to engage in a "my kung fu vs your knug fu" dialoge but got punched in the face for his trouble (the player said his character wouldn't know what to respond with).

The group finished with a new batch of allies and with alot of Willpower from their passion and beating another Talent.

Things smoothed out alot in this session. The players are getting more used to their powers and only engaging in combat with other Talents when they have tactical and numerical advantage. Even so they've had a few close calls and they know to be carefully about what they stick their noses into.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #522 on: November 14, 2012, 05:29:23 PM »
Great! Yeah, superhero games typically have a bit of a learning curve where the players have to learn who they can fight and who they can't. I like the escape pod story - gives the refugees a good reason to stick together.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #523 on: November 14, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »
I'm currently trying to break the normal RPG habits and move into actions more in keeping with the superhero genre. Things like: sometimes the villain gets away or its okay to do something by yourself once in awhile, normal problems you run into when changing genres. One of them is trying to figure out how they can make a multi-million dollar company for them to run without any form of start up capital.

I should note that they haven't actually made the choice to be "heroes" yet. At the moment their stradling the line of acceptable illegal activity (selling super-soldier drugs) while preventing more obvious illegal activity (stopping a guy who's killing drug runners in one of the city districts). The mortal questions about their own actions are going to start coming into the picture soon to say nothing of public opinion when their actions eventually come to people's attention.

Dawnsteel

• Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 14, 2012, 08:00:11 PM »
  the Talent (private investigator Theodore Valiant)

He dies. Someone drops a piano on him, from about six stories up.

I READ YOUR BOOK YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.