Author Topic: Share your Best Prop Story  (Read 41486 times)

sarendt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Alien Weasel Puppy from the planet Tepid :*)
    • View Profile
Re: Share your Best Prop Story
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 04:28:33 PM »
I don't know if I'd repeat this. The first one was done so haphazardly that it adds to the character. If I tried to do it again I'd probably try to make it perfect and thus fuck it up.

The reason I asked was I was thinking of trying something similar, just to see how it turned out.

-Scott
2242656361757365204920676574206d6F72652062616E6720666F72206D7920636861726163746572207769746820484558203A2A29202d53636f747422

TigerStorm

• Cardio! Cardio! Cardio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 02:35:25 AM »
We had a player in one of our games way back make her own patchwork doll to represent the doll her character carried around with her all the time. It was all sorts of beat up (stitching was coming loose, "hair" was falling out, etc). I got her boyfriend to sneak it to me one day between our weekly games and I sewed up the spots where the stuffing was coming loose, re-secured the hair, etc. He brought it to our next game claiming she left it at his place accidentally. She didn't notice what had been done until after we had started up. Noone fessed up to fixing the doll which is how it played out IC, too. My character had snuck it away from her during the night and fixed it. The most fitting thing was that neither my character nor I were very good at sewing.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 08:44:01 AM »
We had a player in one of our games way back make her own patchwork doll to represent the doll her character carried around with her all the time. It was all sorts of beat up (stitching was coming loose, "hair" was falling out, etc). I got her boyfriend to sneak it to me one day between our weekly games and I sewed up the spots where the stuffing was coming loose, re-secured the hair, etc. He brought it to our next game claiming she left it at his place accidentally. She didn't notice what had been done until after we had started up. Noone fessed up to fixing the doll which is how it played out IC, too. My character had snuck it away from her during the night and fixed it. The most fitting thing was that neither my character nor I were very good at sewing.

What game were you playing and why did her character have a doll?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

TigerStorm

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 10:48:18 AM »
Because her character was a little girl.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2010, 10:57:25 AM »
Because her character was a little girl.

Ah. I just wondered, it's a neat concept and I could see it working a number of different ways. Like if it was a MOCT game, the doll could have been the character's security item, etc.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

TigerStorm

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2010, 12:13:25 PM »
It didn't have any major significance other than the fact that her character was just really attached to it.

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 05:10:38 PM »
My players are embarking on an island hopping military campaign.  The players (and their Orc mercs) are landing on enemy occupied islands and neutralizing enemy hardpoints so allied forces can land and take control.   Pretty narly I know.

Anyway I sail alot so I took a 30 year chart book off my friend's boat of the Channel Islands (in Cali).  The book is weathered and yellowed, stained with fish blood, grease and sea water.   Its got elevations, under water hazards, camp grounds, high/low tides, what type of flora to expect, the works.   The players ask "So the hobgoblin (warlord/officer) we hired with the orcs, he's going to handle all the planning right?"  I reached into my bag, pulled out the chart and a compass, flopped them on the and said "You guys plot are plotting ship's courses and picking your landing zones."    They dove in and bickered like flag officers for the rest of the session on how to approach the first island, where they're landing zone was going to be and how to take the hardpoints on the island.   If you had heard the arguing you would have thought you were in a planning session for D-Day.

"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:17 PM »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 09:45:35 PM »

sarendt

• Alien Weasel Puppy from the planet Tepid :*)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 11:32:52 PM »
More great ideas!  Real maps, hand made dolls!  This is the stuff that I think can really bring a good game into great game!

-Scott
2242656361757365204920676574206d6F72652062616E6720666F72206D7920636861726163746572207769746820484558203A2A29202d53636f747422

robotkarateman

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 05:23:35 PM »
I needed big doggies to go with the giant in our last session. Safari Ltd's timber wolves worked perfect.

GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 01:20:02 AM »

[clicky for the set]

The players were traveling into the jungles to the south and met up with a professor named Challenger who had a sketchbook by an artist who went missing there. Challenger gets killed, PCs inherit the book. If they'd paid attention, the sketchbook told them everything they would be encountering; it even gave them a map of the region. Of course, being gamers, they flipped through it, said, "That's cool!", and then mostly forgot about it until after they were in trouble.

Challenger is my middle name.

As for best prop, I have this lifesize cardboard cut out of Ron Weasley that I can't wait to use for something diabolic.
I stole the number stations and used one as a sort of deep space random radio transmission during a routine trip between the Moon and Venus in my eclipse phase game. ALL the players hated me for playing the number stations and were very creeped out. I even now just tease them with the stations and they tell me to stop playing that scary stuff.
"Thanks. I have to go home to an empty house. Thanks a lot, fucker."

As for other gimicky bullshit, whenever we play CoC 1920s I wear my fedora, three piece suit, smoke my pipe and only check time with my pocket watch.

I haven't yet had the chance to whip out my sword cane, shrunken head, and actual cannibal forks (from fiji), but scenarios are in the works.

Oh oh! And once I got to make Delta Green props for college credit!
http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bz8xqksR4VoSMDlhMmMzYmUtYzI3NS00YWJlLTkzNmUtZjJlMTA1ZWMxYmI3&hl=en
http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bz8xqksR4VoSNDJlY2IzODUtY2NiNy00YjU2LWE2YzEtYTk3MzY5YzNhMDlj&hl=en
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bz8xqksR4VoSOWE4NDhlODAtYzNhOS00ZmFjLThiMjMtNzE1ZGE1ZWQxNmQ5&hl=en

Feel free to like do whatever with those pdfs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:07:36 AM by Shallazar »
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »

This requires more explanation.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »

This requires more explanation.

Some sort of design class I'm guessing?