Author Topic: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread)  (Read 709870 times)

Jace911

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
Re: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread)
« Reply #690 on: October 28, 2015, 02:21:26 PM »
For Kickstarter backers The Lover in The Ice Delta Green 2 edition dropped today. It's awesome to see the story back in it's natural habitat.

Twisting H

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 09, 2015, 01:06:59 AM »
Well that was extremely unusual.

So the coffee place I usually go to was closed so I walked up half a block.  What do I see? A coffee/beer bar with boardgames galore running a boardgame designer's workshop at 9pm to about 11.  Walking in as if I'm in a daze, as if it's Christmas no one told me and there is a fucking pony riding a F-16 under the tree with my name on it, I order some coffee and start talking to the gent behind the counter.

Of course I bring up RPPR. 

Of course he's heard of it.

"Yeah I liked that Call of Cthulhu podcast with the marionettes" he said.

"Oh Bryson Springs?" I respond reflexively surprising the hell out of myself. "You know the author is Caleb Stokes and working on this project called Red Markets?"

Fast forwards to a few minutes later, I've written down the words "Lover in the Ice," "Wives of March," "God's Teeth," "Know Evil," and "drivethroughRPG pay what you want" and pass it to the gent like they are the code words to break the Enigma machine.

I'm sitting here drinking coffee, ten different games being playtested around me and I'm wondering if somehow I passed on today and was ascended into the ranks of the gamers' Einherjar.

Dude.

Congrats on your fame guys.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #692 on: December 09, 2015, 01:50:21 AM »
Where is this store located?

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 09, 2015, 05:15:08 AM »
Sent PM. If you did not receive, please inform. 

Also seen the Bryson Springs pdf being thrown around /tg/. Or maybe it was the Red Tower.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #694 on: December 10, 2015, 05:21:37 PM »
/tg/ has regularly linked to RPPR - sometimes I see the referrer link quick enough to actually read the thread before it gets deleted.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 11, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »
@Twisting H

Thanks for the word of mouth! I appreciate it.

As for the PM, I haven't received anything. Use the email address provided in the playtest; it's the best way to contact me.

Darnus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 22, 2015, 02:19:57 AM »
So, after my group pushed off and then outright refused to try out Red Markets [which I said I'd beta several months ago--sorry Caleb, the people I play with are quite fickle!] we ended up playing a game of Dungeon Crawl Classics because it seemed hilarious, and ended up being so.
Now, I've been tasked with setting up a fantasy game based around the peasants from the DCC game, and I gave flow-charting a try, since I remembered that Caleb mentioned that he used it for Know Evil.
Holy crap, I've never had such an easy and enjoyable time planning anything. And it was fun. I just moved around some colored bubbles, and boom, I've got the framework for a 4-5 session mini-campaign with [reasonably] compelling choices.
Thank you so much RPPR--and Caleb especially--for introducing me to the magic that is the relative misappropriation of software used in corporate boardrooms.

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #697 on: December 23, 2015, 11:42:16 AM »
So, after my group pushed off and then outright refused to try out Red Markets [which I said I'd beta several months ago--sorry Caleb, the people I play with are quite fickle!] we ended up playing a game of Dungeon Crawl Classics because it seemed hilarious, and ended up being so.
Now, I've been tasked with setting up a fantasy game based around the peasants from the DCC game, and I gave flow-charting a try, since I remembered that Caleb mentioned that he used it for Know Evil.
Holy crap, I've never had such an easy and enjoyable time planning anything. And it was fun. I just moved around some colored bubbles, and boom, I've got the framework for a 4-5 session mini-campaign with [reasonably] compelling choices.
Thank you so much RPPR--and Caleb especially--for introducing me to the magic that is the relative misappropriation of software used in corporate boardrooms.

Wait...you're gonna play Dungeon Crawl Classics beyond the character funnel?? Tell us how it goes!
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 27, 2016, 02:42:38 PM »
I've been going through my backlog of podcasts, and in one of them Caleb mentions students who want to be professional poets, which reminded me of this poem:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

I suppose that Caleb may already be familiar with Al Purdy, but this thread seemed like the best place to share this.
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #699 on: January 29, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »
I've been going through my backlog of podcasts, and in one of them Caleb mentions students who want to be professional poets, which reminded me of this poem:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

I suppose that Caleb may already be familiar with Al Purdy, but this thread seemed like the best place to share this.

Thanks for sharing that, CADmonkey. Good stuff.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 04, 2016, 09:18:36 PM »
Wow.

If you are going for RPPR tshirts with quotes this gencon I nominate this one from the Brutalist 2 comments

Caleb: That’s why I made the face of the organization such an insufferable hipster; when you want someone to spy on and betray their own countrymen, you pick the biggest asshole you can find.

Goddamn.

Edit: Agree with people in that thread. RED MARKETS: THE DEBT DIES WITH YOU is pretty hardcore
tshirt slogan.

Also SHUTUP AND TAKE THE PAYCHECK. Or some variant of Caleb's quote like QUESTIONS OR PAYCHECK: DECIDE.

Also: Being a hero isn’t something you can just decide to do; it has a cost

Caleb also mentioned the news stories about the DHQS being worried about invasion by the Chinese, North Koreans or Alaskan holdouts.

This got me thinking. How would a small units fighting each other, enclaves fighting with warmachines or even small nation-states like the DHQS try to take and hold land in the Red Markets universe?

Not exactly Red Markets: Fury Road but something like that.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:56:35 AM by Twisting H »

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #701 on: February 05, 2016, 07:13:24 AM »
stop asking questions and take the DAMN payday

My exact words.

Your formulation is more elegant though.

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 12, 2016, 03:16:32 PM »
Oh hey look. Someone published Caleb's nightmares

RIFTS!!!

https://www.peginc.com/

RIFTS® for Savage Worlds Kickstarter Starts April 26!

This is your save-the-date card for a gaming marriage of massive proportions—RIFTS® for Savage Worlds! That’s right, the gonzo Megaversal adventure of RIFTS® is teaming up with the genre-spanning easy-prep award-winning Savage Worlds system you know and love, and the Kickstarter is running from April 26 to May 19. It’s such a big deal that we’re even running the Kickstarter campaign a week longer than we normally do!

Set aside April 26 on your calendar and come to the RIFTS® for Savage Worlds Kickstarter kick-off. See the backer rewards for players and GMs alike, start reaching the Stretch Goals, and get in on the ground floor of the magic and mayhem!

YEAAAAAH. CAN YOU FEEL IT???

(Caleb after this post)

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 12, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »
Oh hey look. Someone published Caleb's nightmares

RIFTS!!!

https://www.peginc.com/

RIFTS® for Savage Worlds Kickstarter Starts April 26!

This is your save-the-date card for a gaming marriage of massive proportions—RIFTS® for Savage Worlds! That’s right, the gonzo Megaversal adventure of RIFTS® is teaming up with the genre-spanning easy-prep award-winning Savage Worlds system you know and love, and the Kickstarter is running from April 26 to May 19. It’s such a big deal that we’re even running the Kickstarter campaign a week longer than we normally do!

Set aside April 26 on your calendar and come to the RIFTS® for Savage Worlds Kickstarter kick-off. See the backer rewards for players and GMs alike, start reaching the Stretch Goals, and get in on the ground floor of the magic and mayhem!

YEAAAAAH. CAN YOU FEEL IT???

(Caleb after this post)

Sorry Caleb.  I can't support RedMarket any more.  I have to spend all my money on Bringing RIFTS back to the world.
Because we all know that rehashing of nostalgic 80 game is far better then anything new and initiative that can be made fresh.  I hope you haven't spent to much time on Red Market.
To sarcastic ?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:50:19 PM by Gorkamorka »
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 10, 2016, 02:18:08 PM »
This thread seems like the right place to post this:

https://vimeo.com/165015837
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr