Author Topic: Podcasting FAQ  (Read 74355 times)

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Podcasting FAQ
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 10:56:34 PM »
What your saying is true and helpful for my inquiry, just looking for some advice on the subject.

So you don't listen through the games at all during the "stitching" process?

I definitely understand where your coming from on the effort/reward ratio thing, I also have a limited time to work on recordings (full-time job, writing the next game scenario/fiction, drawing and other creative ventures, etc.). I still want to go through and do something with these recordings, post them somewhere with the write ups and whatnot that I make for each game. Again, was just looking for some advice on the post game work.
Liquid Water?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 01:22:01 AM »
What your saying is true and helpful for my inquiry, just looking for some advice on the subject.

So you don't listen through the games at all during the "stitching" process?

I definitely understand where your coming from on the effort/reward ratio thing, I also have a limited time to work on recordings (full-time job, writing the next game scenario/fiction, drawing and other creative ventures, etc.). I still want to go through and do something with these recordings, post them somewhere with the write ups and whatnot that I make for each game. Again, was just looking for some advice on the post game work.

I talk about what I do to stitch/encode episodes here http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,495.msg8332.html#msg8332

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
If anyone is interested in trying out podcasting/recording actual plays to see if they enjoy it, I would recommend this budget recorder:

http://www.amazon.com/EtekcityŽ-Hidden-Drive-Digital-Recorder/dp/B00CH5U24A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384098177&sr=8-1&keywords=etekcity+8gb+recorder

It records in .WAV files, and I used Switch (it is free) to convert the file to a 64kb/s MP3. 

The quality of the recording is solid.  The only time it struggles are when there is a loud noise (i.e. a group of people laughing).  It has decent range and the speech recording is good.

Again, it is only a basic recorder, but it is a great entry product to play with podcasting.

If you want to hear the quality, I recorded an AP with it.  On the Community AP page, listen to a few minutes of "Cthulhu Dark: School Spirit" to get an idea of the quality of the recorder.  For your reference, the recorder is in the middle of my dinner table which I had to put two leaves in to fit all 6 players and myself, so there was a wide range for the recorder to pick up.  The farthest people away from the mic were myself and my friend Dave, who was playing the character Chet Lockjaw, and you can hear how it picks up the sound further away (we were on the ends of the extended table).  You can hear the range in the first minute while we introduce characters.  There are also moments where I walk across the kitchen to grab more booze, which is probably 20 feet away, and you can still hear me quite well.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:17:50 AM by PaulyMuttonchops »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »
Levelator can put a bit of polish on WAV files http://web.archive.org/web/20130729204551id_/http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/

Give it a run through and see if that helps the quality of your next AP

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »
Cool!  I will test that program out.