Author Topic: Character Bio: Jaycob "Oriole" Dharuna  (Read 10412 times)

Robot Master

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • "Wu Tang gets they cookie."
    • View Profile
Character Bio: Jaycob "Oriole" Dharuna
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »
To: Rollo-56
Subject: Re: Bodysculpting: Increasing Your Girth!!!

Here is the information you asked for. He's at the right location for the tea party and is available.

<Encrypted information retrieval>
<....decrypting>
<...>
<...>
<...>

Personnel File YG4456A22B <line will delete after first viewing>
Name: Jaycob Dharuna
Operating Name: Oriole
Current Location: Little Mumbaai, Noctis City, Noctis-Qianjiao Dome, Mars <line will delete after first viewing>
Operating Status: Active

Jaycob came into existence as E.L.I. (Electronic Lab-assisting Intelligence) <insert file photo> for Repeater Laboratories, Cardiff Wales two years before the Fall. Originally a three-wheeled AI in a robotic shell designed for note taking, lab assisting, and on the spot calculations, he came into existence with no recorded event. It has been explained in interview from Jaycob himself that he simply began asking questions such as: "Why do you prefer this sandwich to the soup", which led to far greater questions. These questions led to AGI research.

Repeater Labs contained many members of the pre-Fall "JASONs" and post-fall Argonauts, who prior to the fall were attempting to urge the world governments into technological responsibility. ELI became the pet project of one Harmendra Dharuna (Indian ancestral origin, male) and Elizabeth Dharuna (Welsh ancestral origin, female) as a means of "writing the book" on training awakening AGIs. This led to ELIs education and increased duties at Repeater Labs that led to him being listed as a full status employee/Lab Assistant, and was upgraded to synthetic (Synth class) Morph shell.

When the Fall happened, ELI was evacuated alongside a large portion of Repeater Labs' assets to Mitre Station(Cluster station in Lunar orbit). Once determined that ELI had no involvement and existence of mesh-related virii, he was released from data quarantine and placed in a high security section of Repeater Labs' Mitre auxiliary facilities.

The Dharunas, known to be followers of the Hindu faith, took an uncommon yet not unheard of approach towards AGI intelligence and "awakening". Believing the "awakening" of AGI intelligences to be a likely part of the reincarnation cycle called Samsara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsara), believed that it could be "written" that ELI was just as living a creature as they were. Because of this, and security urgency due to political and social ramifications to strong AIs and AGIs, they filed themselves as parents to an orphaned evacuee child. ELI chose his own name and became "Jaycob Dharuna". 

Given the same freedoms as any other Argonaut, Jaycob continued his work as a member of the Argonauts, focusing his research on finding ways to protect, detect, and predict the actions of rogue AI. With the early fear of return aggressions of the TITANs, this work dominated his days while his continued education in life as a living being continued with his parents. However, like all living beings, Jaycob longed to walk the corridors of Mitre station with the other living beings and be amongst the people. He began taking regular outings with his parents through the clustered sections of the station. It was during these visits that Jaycob came into contact with Radio Argosy, an uncensored source of everything from n-casts, news, nano-blueprints to techno-progressive propaganda. Hearing of the crimes and terrors of fascist regimes, hypercorps, and "black stations" alongside stores of AGI vigilantes fighting for the rights of humans sparked an interest of activism in Jaycob.

While visiting private discussion groups of Radio Argosy fans, Jaycob came into contact with an Infomorph AGI named Ripley. Taking her name from a character in science fiction culture that she admired, Ripley introduced Jaycob to the world of popular culture, AR/VR gaming, Science Fiction, and the two quickly became close friends. A passionate, independent female personality, they began to more closely monitor the feeds from Radio Argosy, finding the barest threads of communications code within the n-casts. However, it seemed as if shortly after discovering the threads, they quickly disappeared. Later, this would direct the two of them towards <omitted>

<file insert>
Over a two year period, their relationship began to grow into what could best be described as a symbiotic, AGI relationship. AR/VR Gaming led to private AR/VR conversational settings. It is believed, due to time spent in private sessions, that the physicality of their relationship has been explored, to no specific detail. For all intensive purposes, Ripley and Oriole are a package deal.</file insert>

Unknown to Jaycob/Ripley, the thread of encrypted communique led to their discovery by the organization. Their research on the thread raised intelligence countermeasures that resulted in a five month period of surveillance, background checks, and chance meetings. In October, AF8, Jaycob was approached by <omitted> and was given opportunity to gain additional employment through the agency. Cashing in his life's savings (and some of Ripley's) on equipment, the two underwent training on security countermeasures, infiltration, espionage, and combat training at locations unknown with a newly selected Ghost biomorph with Ripley (having made her own decisions involving multiple classified backups) attaching herself to Jaycob as his "muse".

Citing a need to see some of the system, Jaycob explained to his parents that he and Ripley are going to work for an Argonaut friendly lab on Mars with plans to return.

Training complete, the Jaycob (and Ripley) transferred to Mars. Jaycob has been working at Trigo Nanoproducts, performing tests and research on medichines, healing vats, and nanofabrication suites while waiting for activation. His relationship (including continued AR/VR simulations, rented biomorphs, and regular sci-fi programming) continues with Ripley to this day, as the two continue to try to explore and understand their awakened lives together.

File Deletion in progress....
Thanos: "I am going to sacrifice the Earth to gain the love of Death"
Me: (slowly raise eyebrow) "Destroy the Earth? That would be...illogical"
Vortex: "Yes...that...would be...highly...illogical."
Thanos: "Your Star Trek references bore me."

Robot Master

• View Profile
Re: Character Bio: Jaycob "Oriole" Dharuna
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:18:02 PM »
((Alright, the bio isn't exactly polished writing but it definitely gets the idea out there for the character. This post is a bunch of mindcandy/fluff that'll help flesh out the character as well)

Actor likeness in Ghost morph: Ben Barnes (The guy that played Caspian)

Accent: British
Personality: An inquisitive Pinocchio experiencing true life, love, and adventure that believes in freedom, responsibility, and a need to fight against those who would do others harm to keep danger from the innocents.
Likes: curry, falafel, Ripley, clean laboratories, warm/hot water, Radio Argosy, AGI Rights, Morphological Freedom, football (Soccer), fresh grass, steak kabobs, iced/warm teas, action VR/AR gaming, science fiction movies, honesty, peaceful resolution, Mitre Station, Mars culture, sleep, dreaming, and exercise.
Dislikes: Tuna casserole, cigarette smoke, abuse, fascism, rogue AGIs, mud, bratty children, senseless rudeness, soda-pop, coffee, illegal nanodrugs, occupational slavery/forced labor, cats, pigs, avant-garde productions of any kind, needlessly expensive culture/rip offs, and lies designed to harm.
Notes: Jaycob's main motivation is to no longer be indifferent to the dangers that plague transhumanity and to provide a positive example of proactive, supportive AGIs working alongside transhumanity to achieve positive goals. His long term plans include (after an undecided amount of time working for Firewall) to find a biomorph shell for Ripley, establish a field of scientific study as his specialty to assist the Argonauts in furthering their scientific endeavors, and to someday get a higher score than Ripley in "Giant Monster Starfighter Assault"(a VR game where the players take the role of starfighter pilots trying to destroy one of five hundred random giant monsters that are assaulting a space station/dome/city). Also, once he can decide whether or not his family would think he is strange for the idea, he is considering asking Ripley to be his bride. Little does he know, his parents have been hoping he would ask for Ripley's hand in marriage and return to the safety of Mitre Station for quite some time.
Clarification: Jaycob was "awakened" as data and has been "uploaded" into a biological morph. He is, in effect, a "living AI"(called an AGI) wearing a living body.

Actor/Holo-image for Ripley (AGI, acting as muse) is Rebecca Hazlewood.

This actress is largely chosen for her voice, which will be a large part of the brain candy during roleplay when she communicates with Jaycob via his mind. This video will have a good example of her voice.
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

(and while yes, these two AGI characters are romantically involved I have no desire to RP their "romance". However, their relationship will be a big factor in determining -how- they communicate, so that'll be cool there).

Ripley

Accent: Watch the video
Personality: An independent female who finds respectful, healthy minded, intelligent women to be great examples of human behavior. She is the sometimes playful, sometimes opinionated, always devoted techie in Jaycob's ear that has one eye on him and the other on her Tank-Assault high score.
Likes: Jaycob, herself, the Dharuna family, Radio Argosy, AR/VR Games, Science Fiction (written and visual), techno music, Daft Punk, baklava, tactile human experience, hugs, fuzzy slippers with ugly characters on them, blankets, gypsy punk music, cheesy snacks, self respect, the morphological/AGI rights movement, strong speakers with humble hearts(or sound like they do), fashion, and the prospect of gaining a biomorph shell and one day marrying Jaycob.
Dislikes: Brutality, women who sell their dignity, men who expect women to sell their dignity, the lecherous, Fantasy AR/VR Gaming(a longbow is a boring blaster rifle, orcs<space orcs), cold water, bratty children, meat (because if orangutans, chimps, dolphins, etc can become uplifted, how can we know we're not eating a one day sentient species? Meat doesn't make sense anymore), crossword puzzles, lab work(she's more than willing to help but reserves the right to distract herself with the mesh and gaming while Jaycob is working/researching), and restricted boredom.
Other Notes: Ripley's main motivations are to keep Jaycob and herself alive while they spend a period of time working with Firewall to help protect known existence. She (like Jaycob) wants to be a positive example of AGIs being champions for transhumanity and to experience other parts of the solar system with Jaycob while doing so. She is of the mind to one day gain a permanent biomorph shell and return with Jaycob to Mitre station for marriage and settling down after an undecided time protecting the solar system. Also, if possible, intends to find if it is in fact possible for two AGIs to create life as parents.
Clarification: Ripley, like Jaycob, came into existence as an AGI and has experienced tactile life in a living morph, but has chosen to exist as Jaycob's "muse" in a ghostrider module. While Ripley has her own backup insurance and backup plans of her own, the ghostrider module is planned to immediately dump her consciousness(with Jaycob's) as an alpha-fork to Jaycob's cortical implant in the event that the body is destroyed. The ghostrider module is designed with countermeasures. Ripley cannot take over Jaycob's morph unless he allows her to do so, is unable to protect himself due to mental/physical harm, or if his ego renders him incapable of protecting either of them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:31:12 PM by Robot Master »

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:11:21 AM »
Split the topic in two so you can each have a thread for your Character Bios.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »
I'm really impressed with this write-up, you've obviously put a lot of thought and effort in the creation of the character. It also helps me pick out some back-story threads to use on the scenario.  ;D

Robot Master

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:35:07 AM »
Dunno why I took so long to reply to this. I guess I'm done with chargen right?

Anyway, thanks, I had a good time putting the character together. Can't wait to play. I'm really liking these character bios.