Author Topic: Pre-game & Character Creation Discussion  (Read 25172 times)

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Pre-game & Character Creation Discussion
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »
This will be the thread used for character creation and discussing the scenario before it begins.

As of now, I have these active players:
Robot Master - Playing Jacob Dharuna
Moondog - Playing Matthew Harding
Mckma - Playing Alex Davis
DancingWarPanda - Playing Khalil Jakarin
csr556 - Playing Dmitri Johnson

Once the characters have been created we will start the scenario.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:20:20 PM by Dom »

Dom

• View Profile
Re: Pre-game & Character Creation Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »
Here's the information on the scenario/character creation I gave in the interest check thread.

Date: 26th August, AF 10

Scenario Description: Reb Riveira, a Firewall Crow, has disappeared. His last report was classified as urgent: he reported having obtained important information regarding TITAN activity in the city. He requested protection and said that he could not distribute this information if not face to face- apparently he did not trust Firewall’s heavily encrypted networks.
 Firewall called in several sentinels that could reach the meeting place in time, but Riveira never showed up. Further attempts to contact Riveira were unsuccessful. As the previous Firewall cell was composed mostly by erasure squad agents, a new cell has been brought in to locate and rescue Riveira, if possible.

Reb Riveira, Firewall code-named Jakuta, is a scientist working with the Tharsis Terraforming Office. He seems to also have contacts with the Barsoomian Movement through an alter-ego. As a Crow, he has access to the TTO scientific facilities and often helped both Firewall through specialized research on TITAN technology, Exsurgent morphology, biological weapons and viral threats.  His actual age is 53 years old and uses a Menton morph.

The call for help came on August 21st, the first Firewall cell came in the next day and never found him. His last back-up was five days before his disappearance. A beta fork from the back-up was interrogated, to no avail. It is imperative that the agents find out what the information Riveira had was and why he disappeared. Further than that, Firewall may request the agents to proceed and take action based on this information.

Group template: The players are Firewall agents that have lived in Mars for at least a year, and have had at least one mission together. Research will likely be a big part of the investigation, though not everyone is required to become a sci-fi Sherlock Holmes. Combat skills are not a necessity but definitely recommended. Reputation and networking can also play a large role in the investigation.

Firewall agents tend to be varied in terms of background and specialization, so one character concept can also be very different from the rest. Code-names are used to keep a degree of secrecy in the organization, so go ahead and think one up during character creation.

Playing format:  I would like for us to post at least once a day, Mondays through Fridays. Saturdays and Sundays are optional- you could post if you want but there’s no pressing need to do so (or for me to reply) until Monday as a sort of break from the game. There will be space for flexibility when you know that you won’t be able to post certain days, but I would like to keep a rhythm for the game so that it doesn’t fade out.

-------

The full character creation guide starts on page 130 of the core rulebook. A character creation summary can be found on page 390.Here are some of my tips for creating characters for this scenario:

Skill specialization:
(EP 173) This will help your character, no matter what. For example, a character with Infiltration (Blending In) at 60 will need to roll under 60 when sneaking behind a guard, but will get a +10 bonus to the skill when trying to avoid being spotted when in a crowd. Also, a skill specialization will give you a better idea of how your character would tackle a problem.

Mars survival: (Sunward 161) Most biomorphs in Mars are outfitted with the Enhanced Respiration and Temperature Tolerance implants. Mars is still in the process of being terraformed- the atmosphere is mostly composed of carbon dioxide and temperatures remain almost constantly freezing, the average being -50° C during the night and 10° C during the day outside of city domes. Synthmorphs are typically unaffected by these conditions.

-------

Here are a few questions that will help flesh out your character.

Background: Firewall agents come from a variety of backgrounds so that the organization remains adaptable and flexible.

• Was your character affected by the Fall? If so, how?
  • What sorts of groups does your character associate with?
  • Does your character have a job outside of working for Firewall?

Muse: “Muses are digital entities that have been designed as personal assistants and lifelong companions for transhumans.” (EP 332) Your Muse helps you with tedious tasks such as your accounting, filtering emails, researching on the Mesh, etc. They are highly customized to their user’s liking and develop personalities of their own.

• What is your muse’s name?
  • What is your muse’s personality like?
  • Are there any other tasks that your muse handles for you?

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
Here's a small question for the players: are you willing to let me take partial control of your muses to pass information over to you, or otherwise role-play the muse? It will help if during the investigation I can assume that your muse scans a mesh-feed and telsl you what it is without needing to explain it out-of-character first, so you can role-play how your muse would say it. I'll remain true to your description of your muse in your Bios, but it would help with the pacing of the scenario.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
Here's a small question for the players: are you willing to let me take partial control of your muses to pass information over to you, or otherwise role-play the muse? It will help if during the investigation I can assume that your muse scans a mesh-feed and telsl you what it is without needing to explain it out-of-character first, so you can role-play how your muse would say it. I'll remain true to your description of your muse in your Bios, but it would help with the pacing of the scenario.

Yeah, I'm perfectly ok with that.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
I'm down with letting you play the Muse.  Hopefully I'll get my character up soon, school got a bit crazy in the past week with midterms and papers, so I didn't have as much time as I thought I would, sorry about that...

Robot Master

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • "Wu Tang gets they cookie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »

I'm totally fine with this. I'm fine with you completely roleplaying the muse (or in my case the AGI)
Thanos: "I am going to sacrifice the Earth to gain the love of Death"
Me: (slowly raise eyebrow) "Destroy the Earth? That would be...illogical"
Vortex: "Yes...that...would be...highly...illogical."
Thanos: "Your Star Trek references bore me."

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 11:48:19 AM »
I'm down with letting you play the Muse.  Hopefully I'll get my character up soon, school got a bit crazy in the past week with midterms and papers, so I didn't have as much time as I thought I would, sorry about that...

Sure thing, if you need help creating the character just give a shout. I can help out, and I'm sure the other players will also be willing to help.

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »
I just made another edit to the first post of the thread, as DancingWarPanda will be joining us.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:19:56 PM »
So as I make some tweaks to my character, what kind of skills do we already have?  I was planning to focus on social skills and disguise (think Rollin Hand, Martin Landau's character, of Mission Impossible), but if this is super covered, I might shift a bit elsewhere...

DancingWarPanda

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Well the thing is this game is focused in a very specific direction. There are only so many characters that can be made for that and considering this overlap will most likely be heavy. I mean we all have to take social skills, research, and the like. The differences will be minuscule. For example my character is very good in close quarters combat and impersonation.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 09:46:52 PM »
Ah, okay, in which case, I won't worry and go with what's fun...

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 01:19:31 PM »
Done with character write-up...

Robot Master

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • "Wu Tang gets they cookie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 02:25:46 PM »
Word. This is gonna be rad.
Thanos: "I am going to sacrifice the Earth to gain the love of Death"
Me: (slowly raise eyebrow) "Destroy the Earth? That would be...illogical"
Vortex: "Yes...that...would be...highly...illogical."
Thanos: "Your Star Trek references bore me."

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 03:20:01 PM »
csr556 sent me the character sheet and is willing to play so I added him to the active players list.

Once csr556 posts his Character Bio and a few players finish up the last changes to their character sheets we will be ready. I'm hoping to start either Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for the patience!

csr556

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 06:31:27 AM »
Hi everyone. I will have my bio up today sometime.  I'll work on it between tickets here at work.