Author Topic: Character Bio: Alex "Zeeb" Davis  (Read 10621 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Character Bio: Alex "Zeeb" Davis
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »
[Correspondence to Firewall]
To Whom It May Concern:

I will do my best to keep this brief as to be honest I’m not even entirely sure someone is going to read most of this.  Assuming you have a program searching this for key words and passages to pull out and report to whoever is going to eventually get this, I will try to make it as TOP SECRET clear as possible.
You asked me to report on my current condition and (what appear to me at least) recent memories.  While the last year or two are kind of hazy or holey as far as memories go (thanks for losing or scrambling that date by the way), there are a few things I remember very clearly and vividly.  Pink unicorns and leprechauns riding rainbows.  In all serious though, what do you want me to report?  I have eidetic memory yes, but all I remember are day-to-day activities and TITANS (which had absolutely no real effect on my life).

I suppose I should thank you for the wonderful placement in this ruster body.  While I love the regular ruster body as much as the next guy, but there’s just something about it.  Well, it’s more that it’s a ruster body, I think it speaks for itself.  I mean it’s not from the CRIMINAL UNDERWORLD or anything, not that I would expect it to be.  Likewise thank you for bringing me around on this lovely rock.

All told, I guess I’ll work for you after all.  I mean it’s not like you left me much choice since I have no credits and have a 10 year gap in my recent job history.  I hope you don’t expect me to be grateful though I do suppose I am a bit.  Hopefully I won’t reveal any CLASSIFIED SENTINEL IDENTITIES, though it’s not like I would or would have any reason to, so it really isn’t an issue.  That said, contact me when you have an assignment I guess, but please realize, it will cost you.  It will cost you.

Sincerely,
Alex Davis

Alex Davis began tinkering at a young age and as time when on he developed this skill to not only taking apart, but also rebuilding, modifying, and most would say improving.  This gained him some notice with a number of companies and "organizations."  This came about the time of the fall and suffice it to say, he didn't make it off earth, at least his physical body didn't.  At the time he was 24.

Fast forward 10 years and change, Alex finds himself sleeved into a body in a completely unfamiliar settings.  It seems that Firewall agents managed to get a hold of his last back-up and put it to use.  A bit perturbed by both the ten year gap and the fact that in transmission the data was scrambled, affecting his last year of memories, he reluctantly agreed to work with Firewall.  While he likes to keep it almost as a separate identity, his codename/net identity is Zeeb.

Personality:
Alex would probably be an anarchist by self-admission except for the fact that "most of them are complete dicks."  He is incredibly sarcastic, though he does realize when to shape up and take things seriously.  While he recognizes the need for authority and that it is typically helpful in large society, he thinks it sometimes best to make things difficult for them so that they have to commit to what they really feel necessary and not let them expand mindlessly.  The one thing he is firmly committed to is open sourcing.  Alex believes that the best possible future is through collaboration and that is only bred through trust and accessibility.  He's a bit frustrated with his current body and lack of memories from his last year (10 years ago), especially because of his normally eidetic memory.  While he doesn't care too much, he is trying to find some information about what exactly happened both in his recent memory as well as what "he" may have done after that last back up until his body was destroyed.  Deep down though, he is a good guy and truly does have the best interests of others at the forefront.  Very deep down.

Notes:
I wouldn't oppose, and actually would probably quite enjoy you coming up with some plot points/things of interest for me to have done and try to figure out during those times that I don't have memory.  I think it could be quite fun.

Just a heads up/warning/justification/whatever, I don't know too much beyond the basics of the setting, so if I write up something that doesn't fit or make sense, please let me know and I'll change it...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:32:10 PM by Dom »

Mckma

• View Profile
Re: Character Bio: Alex Davis
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:11:37 AM »
[Transcript Timestamp: 1:54 AM]
A:   Alright, so this is the first test of Richard’s reprogramming.  Basic capabilities tests appear to mirror best recollections of previous version.  Booting file now...
R:   Hello, my name is Richard, and you are?
A:   Hunh, must have screwed up somewhere in the preloading, you should recognize me as Alex.
R:   I have a few Alex’s on file, though I would assume you would be referring to one Alex Davis, since I’m supposed to think he “owns” me and all; input data doesn’t match reference data though.
A:   Oh, forgot about the new skin, well we’ll fix that.
R:   What do you mean we?  Don’t group me with you and your petty schemes, you’re just going to kill my process and rework some code.
A:   You know what?  You’re right.  (Kills process)  (Contented)  At least the personality seems right…

[Transcript Timestamp 2:23 AM]
A:   Test number two.  Previous issues with correct identification appear to be fixed.  I forgot to program recognition for this new body they stuck me with…  Anyway, booting…
R:   Hello, my name is Richard, and you are?
A:   Dammit, thought I fixed this.  Closing...
R:   (Interrupting) Naw man, I was just screwing with you.  I think you got it all right.
A:   (Exasperated) This is serious.  You should know that it’s a lot of work to get all the little bits right.  Would it kill you to cooperate?.  And of course you would think I got the preloading right.  You wouldn’t have any way to know otherwise…
R:   (Mocking) “Oh I’m Alex and I got to get everything exactly right because I’m trying to rebuild my old life meh meh meh!”
A:   Did you come to 10 years later in a completely foreign environment, new body and crap memory of the last things you can remember?  I didn’t think so, so you can shut up.
R:   Nope, I was utterly destroyed at the time and forced you to completely rebuild me from the ground up.  I think that reveals who’s dominant in the relationship.
A:   Yeah, the guy who can strike you from existence again at his whim.  Now can we try to run these tests to see if I actually did this correctly.
R:   Well, you didn’t, so I don’t see why we should.  (Pause)  Eh, whatever, I don’t really know if you did it right or not, so let’s run the tests.
A:   Yeah, that’s what I thought.  You run through those and I’m going to get some sleep.
R:   What?  No, that is not fair I… (click)
A:   What’s that?  I can’t hear you.  I must have accidentally hit mute.  Oh well…
(Pause)
A:   (Pleased) Yeah, definitely got the personality right…

Richard and Alex have an "interesting" relationship.  The two are constantly haranguing each other and poking fun at each other.  Like Alex though, Richard knows when to cut it out and the relationship is full of respect.  Alex modified Richard's personality from a Muse on earth, however the data was lost in the Fall.  Reconstructing Richard from his memories was the first task that Alex began working after his 10 year hiatus and the current form is an almost perfect replica of the original (though Richard feels that he is in fact the same as the original as he has been programmed that way).  Richard completes the usual tasks, but Alex almost feels bad about just laying random things on him.  Aside from some companionship and a sounding board, the main "interesting" job Alex has for Richard is drawing/sketching up schematics for modifications or devices.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:18:47 PM by Mckma »

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Character Bio: Alex "Zeeb" Davis
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »
Notes:
I wouldn't oppose, and actually would probably quite enjoy you coming up with some plot points/things of interest for me to have done and try to figure out during those times that I don't have memory.  I think it could be quite fun.

Oh, I've already thought up of something, believe me.  ;D

Just a heads-up, your first post shows that it was edited by me, but don't worry about it. It was to edit the title of the thread to include your codename.

Mckma

• View Profile
Re: Character Bio: Alex "Zeeb" Davis
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »
Notes:

Oh, I've already thought up of something, believe me.  ;D

Just a heads-up, your first post shows that it was edited by me, but don't worry about it. It was to edit the title of the thread to include your codename.

I saw that, no problem.  I almost did it myself...