Author Topic: Dark or at least less super high fantasy rpg  (Read 10996 times)

Arvandus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
    • Fandible actual play podcast
Dark or at least less super high fantasy rpg
« on: February 26, 2011, 09:11:14 PM »
Hey guys,
       Im looking to start a new fantasy rpg and I was wondering if you guys have any advice. I was originally thinking of doing anima or exalted but I realized I had no interest in a super high power game. Also pathfinder and d&d isn't doing it for me either. Im currently thinking of doing warhammer fantasy 2ed but since I already do a Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy game, I'm afraid the themes might be to similar(chaos, doom, etc). You guys have any suggestions or is warhammer 2ed different enough that I can do something different with it.
Fandible actual play podcast: www.fandible.com

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
Re: Dark or at least less super high fantasy rpg
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »
in b4 ross
Do you want this game to be about swords?  If yes, Iron Heroes.  If no, put swords in it and then use Iron Heroes.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Iron heroes is pretty much the best answer for this but other possibilities:

GURPS - complex but you can model exactly what kind of fantasy you want
Burning wheel or mouse guard
Reign - Fantasy ORE - great game

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:08:06 AM »
Using Pathfinder or 3.5E Dungeons and Dragons, I'm very fond of the E6 variant. We ran a game for about 9 months using 3.5 rules in late 2008, I ran a spellthief, another guy played a soulknife, and a third a cleric, and later on my girlfriend joined as a warmage. While we never even started the planned progression past 6th level, by taking high level play and all of the nonsense it brings out of the equation, it lead to startlingly epic play with a comparably low power level. I never thought I'd take a 5th level character through hell and survive, but we managed to get out before the devil knew we were there...
It's probably my favorite D&D variant I've yet had the pleasure of trying, in ten years of 3.X variants, and I would imagine that Pathfinder would only improve the E6 style of play. You may be thinking that D&D might not be for you, but give it a shot.

If you're looking for a dark setting, try and see if you can track down a copy of Midnight. I don't have a ton of knowledge about the system, but the three or so sessions we played in it were pretty cool, and it was recommended to me as the best 'world gone fucked' setting on the market a few years ago.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 03:56:15 AM »
Play Exalted! Punch elder beings in their ugly faces and mind control the world! Go to the edge of creation and shout into the formless chaos until it makes more land for you to continue conquering! Why would you not want to do that!?

Actually, playing Exalted as humans is fucking brutal. It is honestly nothing short of a miracle that the human race continues to exist in that game.

I'd suggest GURPS using fantasy books or just the core book. GURPS is "fun". Much like Dwarf Fortess.

Oh, there's an idea for an ultra dark fantasy game: Play Dwarf Fortress using GURPS.

Arvandus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.

So far Im stuck between:

Iron Heroes: Liking the mechanics and I'm sure I can think of a bad ass "we are so screwed" setting for the characters.

Midnight: Liking the setting and the heroic path system makes things interesting. Would my PC's find a way to fight the darkness or fall before the darkness that is Izador. Dont know, whichever one is funnier I guess.

Warhammer 2ed (not third, for the love of god not third): Similar system to Dark heresy so it fits better with my spontaneous style (i.e make stuff up on the fly). Only if I can differentiate it from the Dark Heresy game. Yes, I know Dark Heresy & Rogue Trader is sci fi, but the theme's are similar so Im afraid I might come up with similar stories (Oh no, Chaos is corrupting this city and/or group of people).

I'm gonna discuss with my group and see what there opinions are. Thanks again.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 03:52:06 PM »
warhammer fantasy, from my understanding, is more like the adventures of real world type adventurers and eccentrics - think Barry Lyndon, not Conan. The characters should spend most of their time scheming and scrambling to not die. I mean, you have classes like rat catcher, university student, grave robber and camp follower - not exactly the stuff of legends.

Arvandus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 04:32:07 PM »
             You have a point. I'm probably putting too much Dark heresy into my ideas for warhammer. Im gonna spend some time reviewing these ideas in my head see if im just thinking of it wrong. Plus, I know a friend in my group who would play a funny rat catcher for all its worth. He plays an Ork so well in Rogue Trader i'm pretty sure he can play anything.

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 02:48:53 AM »
warhammer fantasy, from my understanding, is more like the adventures of real world type adventurers and eccentrics - think Barry Lyndon, not Conan. The characters should spend most of their time scheming and scrambling to not die. I mean, you have classes like rat catcher, university student, grave robber and camp follower - not exactly the stuff of legends.

To make Warhammer seriously gritty, restrict your party to only humans and put an extreme focus on Chaos cults, mutations and witch burning (like dark heresy) within the Empire's borders mostly around pocket communities. In other words, Give it the Cthulhu vibe and it becomes super creepy with minor supernatural overtones. Admittedly this is my regular image of WFRP ever since and epic play through of the Enemy Within campaign, but it worked for me. Hopefully it'll work for you. 

Arvandus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 05:53:14 PM »
           Alright, I wasn't sure about Reign but since you recommended it I bought the 10 dollar Reign Enchiridon (rules but no setting) from drive through RPG. It had me hooked by the time I reached the make your own Magic system section. I'm still planning a warhammer campaign to get the Fantasy itch out and because one of my characters wants to play a dwarf sometime soon, but I already have a idea for a setting using the Reign system. Hopefully the setting will be interesting enough that people wont instantly try to ban me from the internet when I podcast it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Addled GM

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 01:14:41 AM »
Try the Savage Worlds Everknight.  Easy system. Too bad the game was printed pre-explorer's edition.

The world of Tarth was a bright and shining jewel. The Great Race Wars were long over, the people were free, and true evil had been scattered to the dark bowels of the earth. The King of Valusia sat upon his throne and ruled his peaceful valley and its honest citizens with a firm yet fair grip.

The future of Tarth was bright.

Until they came.

And the light went out forever.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »
Might also Check out the Dragon Age RPG from Green Ronin.
Apparently it was designed to be more "gritty and fast paced."

I think it uses D6s.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »
Might also Check out the Dragon Age RPG from Green Ronin.
Apparently it was designed to be more "gritty and fast paced."

I think it uses D6s.

I made a character using the system and it seems pretty straight forward.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Arvandus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 11:44:40 AM »
Ok, I have to much on my plate to create a setting. Im just going to buy the Reign rulebook/setting book. Thanks for the advice guys. Ive looked at all the stuff you guys suggested and I will probably hit most of them in the future. Thanks.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
On sort of the same note but not really, Anyone use BRP for fantasy or really anything other than CoC?

Chronicles of Future Earth looks pretty cool.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.