Author Topic: Academic Pursuits  (Read 9408 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Academic Pursuits
« on: March 15, 2011, 12:14:25 AM »
As I have finals in 3-4 days, I am currently trying to pretend that they aren't going to happen and that I can avoid them by not thinking about them...

So thinking about loosely academic things, I was curious: What have you studied/are you studying/plan to study?

Personally I'm well into a B.S. in physics and will probably get a masters in education somewhere down the line...

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
Re: Academic Pursuits
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 03:48:34 AM »
As I have finals in 3-4 days, I am currently trying to pretend that they aren't going to happen and that I can avoid them by not thinking about them...

So thinking about loosely academic things, I was curious: What have you studied/are you studying/plan to study?

Personally I'm well into a B.S. in physics and will probably get a masters in education somewhere down the line...

Couple of semesters away from B.A. in English Creative Writing, with a masters in Literary Editing/Publishing next. Gonna be a fun couple of years.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »
Bachelor's degree in Sociology, specialized in Sex/Gender Roles.

S'part of why stuff like Eclipse Phase makes me drool. So many new societies, changing roles and that sort of thing. Imagine how drastically different society and social issues become when you can change something like Gender (and the perceptions thereof, which also change) at (effectively) the push of a sleeve button and a week or two. Even language would have to adapt, to say nothing of how people see themselves and their roles.

Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
Undergrad - English - Literature (Mathematics and Creative Writing minors)
Grad - English - American Literature (PhD exams in 19C American Literature, American Utopian Literature, Theories of Nationalism and Sovereignty)
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

FuzzyDan

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
Undergrad - B.S. in Sociology, Minors in Philosophy, Economics, and Law in Society
Graduate - About half a semester's worth of credits in a MPA, considering applying to Law School
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:17:11 PM »
Completed: Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts Mathematics and Science, with a focus on CompSci and Biology - 3.5 GPA
Will not be completed: Bachelor's Degree in History - 7 classes taken total, 1.0 GPA semester 1, 0.0 Semester 2
A few classes taken: Associate's Degree in Business Marketing, 4.0 GPA
Soon to start: Bachelor's of Science in Business with concentration in Management Information Systems, taken online

A quick anecdote to summarize the uselessness of the above associate's degree:
I graduated high school, went to a very respectable local community college right away. Got my degree with some small difficulties, but otherwise no big deal. Went to 1.75 semesters of a business degree at my area's big college, UAlbany, and failed the fuck out. Left with my tail between my legs. Took some intermediate classes in business, but then decided to save up some money and take some time off school (in hindsight, good idea, having a full time job in this economy was worth it, even if I sell my soul every day).

New York is building up sort of a 'new Silicon Valley' for nanotech firms in the Hudson Valley area, real big thing, they're building a giant chipfab plant in Malta, NY right now - supposed to bring roughly 4,000 jobs to the area, many of them high-paying for skilled people with degrees in science and technology. My alma mater has a partnership with the firm, so graduates in certain degree programs got to attend an exclusive job fair, because the skilled positions will be training as the place comes online. I was invited because of the degree program I took, and since my job involves being screamed at by tax evaders all day long for enforcing the law, and the plant would offer a hefty raise, I jumped at the chance. Making microchips would be dull and unrewarding, but it'd pay to get me through school, right? Sat through three or four seminars, wondered what the fuck - they needed exclusive degrees in math or a concentration in physics or chemistry. I talked to one of the hiring guys about my degree program, and what it qualified me for:
"Well, sure, sure, you definitely qualify as an unskilled laborer once we get the facility up and running. Or you could go back and get a new two-year degree in chemistry, physics, or math."
I'd have to get a degree. To work someplace to afford to get a degree.
 :-\

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »
Undergrad - B.S. in Computer Engineering (which is sort of a EE and CS mix, but few employers know what it means)
Graduate - Still figuring that one out.  Not thinking about it until current student debt is dealt with.

Also I guess it shouldn't surprise me to see a lot of writing and mathematics degrees here (yet somehow it does).

Completed: Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts Mathematics and Science, with a focus on CompSci and Biology - 3.5 GPA
Will not be completed: Bachelor's Degree in History - 7 classes taken total, 1.0 GPA semester 1, 0.0 Semester 2
A few classes taken: Associate's Degree in Business Marketing, 4.0 GPA
Soon to start: Bachelor's of Science in Business with concentration in Management Information Systems, taken online

A quick anecdote to summarize the uselessness of the above associate's degree:
I graduated high school, went to a very respectable local community college right away. Got my degree with some small difficulties, but otherwise no big deal. Went to 1.75 semesters of a business degree at my area's big college, UAlbany, and failed the fuck out. Left with my tail between my legs. Took some intermediate classes in business, but then decided to save up some money and take some time off school (in hindsight, good idea, having a full time job in this economy was worth it, even if I sell my soul every day).

New York is building up sort of a 'new Silicon Valley' for nanotech firms in the Hudson Valley area, real big thing, they're building a giant chipfab plant in Malta, NY right now - supposed to bring roughly 4,000 jobs to the area, many of them high-paying for skilled people with degrees in science and technology. My alma mater has a partnership with the firm, so graduates in certain degree programs got to attend an exclusive job fair, because the skilled positions will be training as the place comes online. I was invited because of the degree program I took, and since my job involves being screamed at by tax evaders all day long for enforcing the law, and the plant would offer a hefty raise, I jumped at the chance. Making microchips would be dull and unrewarding, but it'd pay to get me through school, right? Sat through three or four seminars, wondered what the fuck - they needed exclusive degrees in math or a concentration in physics or chemistry. I talked to one of the hiring guys about my degree program, and what it qualified me for:
"Well, sure, sure, you definitely qualify as an unskilled laborer once we get the facility up and running. Or you could go back and get a new two-year degree in chemistry, physics, or math."
I'd have to get a degree. To work someplace to afford to get a degree.
 :-\

So far I've just been in the boat of needing a previous job to get a job.  I guess I'm glad it didn't go back further.

ethan_dawe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 11:00:22 PM »
After HS went to small private college for BA in anthropology/archaeology. Left and joiined the Air Force
After Air Force went to State College for BA in English also focusing on Psych and Philosophy. Left for a small Community College where I go an AA in English: Creative Writing. So....now I work as an Engineer for a big chip design company. <- all of this makes no sense, but the result is still fun and cool

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 11:01:02 PM »
Damn. Ya'll got you some book learnin'.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 12:58:29 AM »
So I like graduated high school and stuff.....

No seriously though I took some classes at Devry that I am still paying for even after dropping out because I was a short sighted ass-hat. Now I wanna go back into school to get a degree in information technology so that I can get jobs I am already vastly over qualified for considering my 5 years of hands on experience in the IT Technical Support field.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »
Undergrad - B.S. in Computer Engineering (which is sort of a EE and CS mix, but few employers know what it means)
Graduate - Still figuring that one out.  Not thinking about it until current student debt is dealt with.

Duke has a new(ish) PhD program in CE. One of my high school classmates just graduated from it. You might also think about applying for HFT jobs (check out: www.efinancialcareers.com).
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

ethan_dawe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »
I only have lots of education because I'm old. In fact, I wonder if I'm the oldest person here.  :o I'll be 41 this year. My Gaming days began sometime in 1980-81. Despite this I'm not a grognard  :)

Patrick

• No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »
I don't know much bout' no book learnin', but I got my PhD in Life...
[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]