Author Topic: Offsite Discussions of RPPR  (Read 17939 times)

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Offsite Discussions of RPPR
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 02:45:20 AM »
I tried to start a conversation about shooting across the room by quoting Mike verbatim for a few sentences, my group didn't take off with the subject...crickets and all lol.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Seejo Crux

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 11:07:07 PM »
My baby bro recently learned that Call of Cthulhu exists, so I pointed him to RPPR. Still don't know if he has listened to anything or not. As a result, though, my dad heard about the site too. He doesn't seem to understand how, or why, people would listen to other people play a tabletop roleplaying game.

I don't think he'd like the site much. He doesn't like "evil characters". There seem to be a lot of those here. <_<

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 11:26:26 PM »
I don't think he'd like the site much. He doesn't like "evil characters". There seem to be a lot of those here. <_<

But he'll always have Aaron to identify with...

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 12:41:13 AM »

But he'll always have Aaron to identify with...

Oh, Aaron... Good or bad, you're always useful as the contrasting example when it comes to RPPR. :-P

I think the site as a whole has a lot to offer to a variety of audiences. The actual podcast portions are invaluable for game design projects, even if I disagree with their stance or don't end up using any specific examples from an episode, simply getting a variety of impressions on gaming topics BEFORE testing them on my group lets me improvise and roll with the punches much better than I have before. The recordings of different genres of games also tend towards different listening styles - I would never try to have a non-gamer sit through a D&D 4E AP, because the second combat starts, any momentum and novelty the recording had for a non-gamer disappears. For Wushu and some of the other goofy games, I will actually listen with other people on car rides, because the game mechanics and playstyle never interfere with the flow, and it's an amusing listen. Listening to different genres and systems is also awesome. My group was raised on basic D&D, but everyone has expressed dissatisfaction with the game at some point, and everyone's requested we try something new along the line. Because of RPPR, I can step up with suggestions when someone wants to play a horror game set in the modern era, for example, or a far-future scifi plot.

And that's not even getting started on the regulars. Cody and Caleb have fan clubs for a reason. Jason is just fun to listen to. Dan is hilarious when he starts to plan. Listening to RJ start trolling the group (intentionally?) is good for a laugh. Mike provides 'that guy' (protip: every group has that guy, or has had him - if you've never come across 'that guy' YOU'RE HIM). Aaron, for all the shit he gets, is awesome equally for his dedication to the greater good and for his sometimes questionable moral judgements in his pursuit thereof. Tom is a steadfast player, and he's good for tying together games with a slightly calmer head (usually) - the games wouldn't be the same without him. The variety of playstyles and personalities brings together an engaging set of recordings, and any gamer can recognize and relate to some of the RPPR regulars' traits.

You guys seriously produce a kickass site.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 02:53:12 PM »

Most of us would be willing to argue that sociopathy is not really a sign of evilness.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 04:10:35 PM »
I opened a thread on the Eclipse Phase forums to let them know about RPPR's Actual Play.

http://www.eclipsephase.com/rppr-actual-play-eclipse-phase

A few listeners have commented already.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »
As a result, though, my dad heard about the site too. He doesn't seem to understand how, or why, people would listen to other people play a tabletop roleplaying game.

More or less my father's opinion as well. Must be a dad thing... except that a bunch of our forumers ARE dads... more research is called for.

Alexander

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 11:40:29 PM »
I opened a thread on the Eclipse Phase forums to let them know about RPPR's Actual Play.

One of the users from the site said the gaming style of the Eclipse Phase RPPR Actual Play was too casual for their taste.  Could someone help me out on this one, because I don't think I've listened to an AP from other sources that was anything more than "casual".  What's the difference between "casual" play, and what I'm assuming to be the opposite, "hardcore" play?

Seejo Crux

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 12:34:20 AM »
Could someone help me out on this one, because I don't think I've listened to an AP from other sources that was anything more than "casual".  What's the difference between "casual" play, and what I'm assuming to be the opposite, "hardcore" play?

If there's such a thing as hardcore play, it's at Icosahedrophilia.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 12:52:09 AM »

One of the users from the site said the gaming style of the Eclipse Phase RPPR Actual Play was too casual for their taste.  Could someone help me out on this one, because I don't think I've listened to an AP from other sources that was anything more than "casual".  What's the difference between "casual" play, and what I'm assuming to be the opposite, "hardcore" play?

Sounds like the people who say that the only "real" video game playing is CoD online...

And that the Wii isn't a real console because some moms like to play it...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 02:06:26 AM »

less jokey - less off topic chatter is my interpretation. The first Fear Itself game I ran for Tom and Cody wasn't casual.