Author Topic: Are regular demons no longer having the impact we want?  (Read 11635 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Are regular demons no longer having the impact we want?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:30:30 AM »
oh man I can't believe I hadn't thought of this until now - the Hellblazer comics are full of traditional demons and they can be scary as fuck.

Look at the Exorcist too. Pazuzu is a motherfucker.

Ezechiel357

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 05:34:17 AM »
The point of making something scary, is that it should have some degree of "inevitability": too strong to be fought, too weird to remain sane, incurable.

The point is not to cripple permanently the PCs to the point players don't have fun anymore in playing them, but to bring back a sense of danger.

In D&D, fights are normal events, so is getting wounded and healed, or possibly ressurected. If death is not permanent and any injury can be healed easily, no fight, no opponent is ever going to be scary unless there is something else at stake that cannot be undone.

Destruction of a friend/family/city/nation/continent/world
Loss of something dear: family items, rare artefact
Loss or damage of something personal: sanity, hands, foot, eye... which could be restore, but in a form that will be a constant reminder of the encounter.

I personally love sanity loss: developping a phobia or other mental troubles is usually never enough to make a PC unplayable, but it has a "weight", and players know/feel that the more of these phobia they have, the closer to permanent retirement their character is.

To make something scary, you need to instill a sense of doom, a threat of something which cannot easily be undone.

In my modern fantasy game, there is no ressurection possible, hence any fight is carefully weighted before being started - and I roll all my dice in front of the players, so there is no fudging of dice. They know I won't try to kill them, but I won't save them neither of a awful roll, even less from their own bad decision.

Also, rarity of a threat makes it scarier. If demons pops out every adventures, PCs & players will become seasoned demon fighters and it is normal that they won't be as scared or impressed by Belzeball III jr after a while. They might even look for a worthy opponent to enhance their demon hunter status.

On the other hand, if suddenly you toss in front of them a powerful undead, with ability that they are not used to counter, spells that they have never seen, they will wonder "how can I protect myself from that ?" "Can i dodge it ? Survive it ? Cure it ?". Or maybe they discover that it comes back each time more powerful, with a better knolwedge of the PCs' weakness. It can be even better if the undead (or whatever suitable monster) looks like a demon, or is mistaken for a demon and suddenly proven techniques against demon do not work - maybe kicking once the whole party ass.

Arvandus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
    • Fandible actual play podcast
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 07:30:34 PM »
Guys, this has been a gold mine of ideas for me. Not just for Fortunes fool but other games as well. Im already thinking of how to mess with one of my characters who made a deal with a demon in my Dark heresy game. He has been a bit of a bastard but hell, he's a demon. He could do so much worse  ;D .

And ya, Gutts from Berserk is the most badass thing to come out of japan. Just thought Id say that. The theme of a normal but strong willed human (well before he got that berserker armor in the manga anyway) fighting agaisnt impossible odds and forces beyond humanity was a concept I always found fascinating. Its one of the themes that attracted me to warhammer 40k. Most likely, you and everything around you is doomed, but you fight anyway and either live for one more day or just fall into death or corruption. Its a theme I try to stick too in Dark Heresy.  
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:21:44 PM by Arvandus »
Fandible actual play podcast: www.fandible.com