Author Topic: Shadow Hearts Game  (Read 15125 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Shadow Hearts Game
« on: March 12, 2009, 02:05:18 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of playing a game of GUPRS using the Shadow Hearts series of video games as inspiration. I don't know enough RL people who are fans of the games and play GURPS to run one around the table but online my options are little wider.

Any fans of the series interested in giving the comedy/horror/action genre a spin?

Mason

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
Re: Shadow Hearts Game
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:53:43 PM »
sure, I'd be down.(once my bro leaves) im not familiar with the game but id be willing to wing it. how many point characters do you want?
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
500, 4e GURPS.

Characters in Shaodw Hearts are very powerful. Their just... a little strange.

Mason

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 11:24:27 PM »
WOW :o thats alot. okay Ill get cracken and post it soon.
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 03:21:28 PM »
Characters in Shadow Hearts are amazingly powerful in their own ways. The best example would be Yuri, the lead in the first two games, who is able to use the captured souls of monsters to transform himself into demonic forms.

There's also a vampire who's a pro-wrestler. His brother is a more general badass and his sister is a magic girl.

A former German military officer who fights with a sword and learns new attacks by reading acts from a long lost play.

A Mexican musication who can use his music to create boosting effect. Also, his guitar contains a flamer thrower, a missle launcer, and other heavy hardware.

A Native American who fights using "Gun Fu" and who's mentor spends all his time looking for cryptids.

Wacky is good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:08:41 PM »
I figure some additional detail here might be helpful:

Shadow Hearts is a video game series that follows a theme of humorous characters involved in grim gothic adventurers. The original setting was the early 1900s and it shares some qualities with Call of Cthulhu, except as a video game you activally combat, not investigate. The series uses anime and western styled presentation since it's made in Japan and set primarily in Europe.

The major recurring element in the series is the power of nasty things: Malice. Malice is all that is bad in the human soul and it makes people do mean things. It causes monsters to appear and can make humans degerate to wild savages. In the games, a massive release of stored Malice help to trigger the first world war.

This game will focus on those same themes; Malice, horror, and humor. Characters are encouraged to be strange and off the wall while being able to maintain an effective combat side. Powers should be linked thematically but they can still cover a very broad area.

The era is advancing, we'll be playing in the years towards the end of the first world war with Malice still unusually high.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:40:37 PM »
Here are the wiki entries for the games. They provide a good background.

Shadow Hearts

Shadow Hearts: Covenant

Shadow Hearts: From the New World