Author Topic: Old West White Stereotype Phrases  (Read 15253 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Old West White Stereotype Phrases
« on: April 21, 2011, 03:20:54 PM »
Once again I seek the wisdom of the crowd.

I'm finally getting to play a superhero game. We're starting lower power than normal so the GM can adjust to the system as we grow. So, I'm playing a former sidekick taking the step up to team heroing.

The twist is my character is from the Old West. We're using the DC Universe so I've met Jonah Hex, Vigillantte, El Diablo, and some other DC Wild West heroes but I was the side kick to Super Chief.

Since the game is a mix of humor and action, I wanted to invert the Lone Ranger and Tanto dynamic by having a Native American hero with a stereotyped white cowboy as a sidekick.

So, I need some funny things he can say his hero used to say about him at odd moments.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Old West White Stereotype Phrases
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »
Watch Deadwood

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 11:46:09 PM »
Or Yosemite Sam cartoons.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 10:33:09 AM »
Sheeewwt!

Varmint. Draw. Draw Iron. Slap Leather. Rootin' tootin'. Gumption. Yeehaw. Yippee Kay-yay. Whoa! Hombre. Howdy m'am. *squinty eyes* This town ain't big enough for the two of us. Well, I'll be! Lookey here! Like tits on a tiger. Poll cat. Longhorn. Whiskey. Aww shucks. No cars out here, nothin' but sage brush for miles- as far as the eye can see. Well pickle my knees and kick my sister! Dag nabit. Daw gunnit. Via con dios. Padre. Lawman. Foreman. No good dirty son of a bitch. Up ahead! Bear sign.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 01:10:22 AM »
Sheeewwt!

Varmint. Draw. Draw Iron. Slap Leather. Rootin' tootin'. Gumption. Yeehaw. Yippee Kay-yay. Whoa! Hombre. Howdy m'am. *squinty eyes* This town ain't big enough for the two of us. Well, I'll be! Lookey here! Like tits on a tiger. Poll cat. Longhorn. Whiskey. Aww shucks. No cars out here, nothin' but sage brush for miles- as far as the eye can see. Well pickle my knees and kick my sister! Dag nabit. Daw gunnit. Via con dios. Padre. Lawman. Foreman. No good dirty son of a bitch. Up ahead! Bear sign.

I was unclear.

I'm not trying to think of things that a white person would say, I'm trying to think of phrases that a sardonic Native-American would offer to a white boy as "life lessons".

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »
Ahh so liike Tonto? And grandmother willow? Chief Powhatan and sitting bull type junk?

The key is to make metaphors and analogies in a level unenthusiastic bass filed voice.

"Like the mighty Orinoco, you must learn the weight of a stone before running around it"

Just keep good ole Tonto in mind. Also, compare people to animals, and mention buffalos often. Especially the white buffalo.

I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Herrigold

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 09:35:27 PM »
Shallazar offered up a heap-a-cowpoke talk right there, yes he did. I'd be thinking someone shud run a game just from that there mess o' words! Put 'em to good use!
It's too late to be clever. I'll try being adventurous.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:36:55 PM »
oh I just realized - the comic Scalped is set in the modern age but it features Native American characters that deal with idiotic and evil white people on a regular basis. You could pick up some choice insults from them.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 02:03:44 AM »
oh I just realized - the comic Scalped is set in the modern age but it features Native American characters that deal with idiotic and evil white people on a regular basis. You could pick up some choice insults from them.

Sweet, that sounds like what I want.

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »
Ahh so liike Tonto? And grandmother willow? Chief Powhatan and sitting bull type junk?

The key is to make metaphors and analogies in a level unenthusiastic bass filed voice.

"Like the mighty Orinoco, you must learn the weight of a stone before running around it"

Just keep good ole Tonto in mind. Also, compare people to animals, and mention buffalos often. Especially the white buffalo.

If you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you can learn to head off your foes with a balanced attack.