Author Topic: Need help for running first game  (Read 3965 times)

Damascus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Need help for running first game
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:15:27 PM »
Hi, I'll jump right into this, I'm going to be running my first rpg this weekend. It's going to be a game of KAMB, and I'd like some help getting the adventure written up. I've been listening to the podcast for a while so I'm aminaly looking for content ideas, here's what I've come up with so far.

our band of heroes have been charged by King Torg to retrieve a baby that's been stolen by the local evil wizard. They will have to leave the safe squalor of their kobold cave and trek across town to the wizard's tower.

Here are some of the "encounters" I've come up with for the players to encounter while on their way to the tower:

A group of black clad teens performing dark rites using the blood of chickens. The kobolds can take the chicken carcasses and eat them, or kill the teens and take whatever magic link to Things That Man Was Not Meant To Know.

A large group of various unsavoury creatures are camped outside the tower with signs and sandwhich boards, they're part of the magic lackey's union and are on strike for better work benefits. The minions on strike will assume the kobolds are replacement workers brought in and will shout "scab!" and harass them as they enter the tower.

while wandering through the woods the lead kobold has to make an ego roll to avoid the rather obvious snare. as they dangle in the air a large man in khaki and pith helmet steps out of the brush with an offensive ethnic stereotype luggage bearer in tow. The man is a big game hunter and will try to use the kobold as bait to attract something larger.

and so on... I don't really want too much in this category, since I want the players to get to the tower mostly alive and ready to die horribly there. Here's all I really have for the tower so far for stuff inside the tower.

A band of DND adventurers are moving through the lower levels of the tower, clearing, crawling on their belly looking for traps ad killing orcs guarding pies.

One room contains a busy illithid, it will stop for a snack if it can, but will ignore any kobolds with an ego of 4 or less.

as the kobolds walk up the tower they glance out of window and see a bowl of petunias fall past, this is shortly followed by a curious whale.

I'm really short on what the characters have to do to get the baby, who would be guarding it? Any ideas are appreciated.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Need help for running first game
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:19:28 PM »
SPARKLE LORD

Damascus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:21:26 AM »
I like that for the big bad. Hard to imagine any kobolds surviving, but then that's the point in KAMB.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:58:09 PM »
A trap/distraction room idea for you: kobolds have to sneak by a room where the wizard has been discarding the dead babies he has used for a sacrifice (using x-magic to gain x-magic ability). The babies are dead, but they're still warm. What's a kobold to do?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read