Author Topic: New Project-a cheap gametable  (Read 4406 times)

Addled GM

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
New Project-a cheap gametable
« on: June 14, 2011, 07:46:25 PM »
I was browsing the net and came across this:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Over the next month (in between my move to a new house and acclimating to new employment), I am going to put this idea to the test by making a game table with one of my older PCs and a projector that was given to me.  I'm first going to see how it works with maptools and move to other applications, such as lackey CCG and Vassal.  If anyone has any suggestions let me know.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:54:24 PM by Addled GM »

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: New Project-a cheap gametable
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:13:15 PM »
Maptool could work really well, though I honestly feel that it's strength is in everyone having their own screen.  That said, this would still be really cool for the more "professional" map looks...

Addled GM

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: New Project-a cheap gametable
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »
I know that maptools works best for multiple screens, but I still want the old school map feel with better looking maps than my chicken scratch on a mondomat.  I just like all my players seeing where they are for some games, which is odd because the majority of games that I run are really not that tactical.  Most have systems where combat is so frantic and abstract that it is impossible to map (WUSHU and RISUS).  My players that have never played D&D (mostly because I run and don't really like it) have been pestering me for a game, so I figured it'd be a good excuse for a project.

If this would have been around when I was sinking paychecks into the massive garbage pile that has become my 3.5 D&D collection my life would have been much easier.  As it sets I've used Mondomats, regular graph paper with this clear plastic that they sell by the foot over it, whiteboards, tables with a whiteboard top and about ten other things to get the effect that I want and so far short of dropping a couple of grand on real minis and props this is the best financial choice.  I've got some truely ancient computers at home so I'm gonna see what the bare minimum computer is that is needed for this.  I'm also going to check out DIY projectors and see how well this works with them if possible, so it should be a fun experiment to say the least.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:25:05 PM by Addled GM »