Author Topic: Why do you game?  (Read 35479 times)

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you game?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 12:42:46 PM »
I game with my students at school because they participate more in class and care more about our school in general since they have felt like they belong more.

I like your new avatar haha!

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 01:38:32 PM »
I have to say it would have been realy cool if I had a teacher that gamed with me when i was in school....what grade do you teach?
Kenders Rock

Mason

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 11:29:46 AM »
well Im not gonna lie about it. I game to get away for a bit, to escape reality. I have a very stressfull job that doesn't meet its pay, a wife, and son who has entered his "terrible twos". its nice to have one day a week to hang with my friends from college and kill some zombies for a couple of hours. it allows me to keep my sanity.

Im also a curious guy, I'll watch a movie where the protagainst does some really cheesey heroic thing and I think to myself "what would my group do if I placed them in that same scenario?" then I set out to find out.

but I've also been gaming since I was seven, with D&D advanced(I'm 23 now). so its also more about something Ive done since I was little, something that has actually become a part of who I am as a person. If someone were to ask me to give it up I dont think I could. Its hard to give something up you've been doing for 16 years.
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »
I enjoy the social aspect too. How many people can say that they have three, four, or five people who they spend several hours with a week in a face-to-face environment.

I'm one of the only people in my office who has friends that I see for long periods of time, nearly every week.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »
I game for a lot of reasons. For fun is the obvious one, but I can break things down farther than that. I play some games just to let out steam, maybe be a bit of a jerk, and relieve stress by way of doing horrible horrible things to NPCs and sometimes taking their stuff. Gods know that my Shadowrun game turns out to be that way most weeks. For other games, it's a creative outlet where I get to use my imagination and think of cool and awesome things to do and become. I also play games for the social aspect. Let's just say that I'm not good at getting out and interacting people because of medical/mental health issues and roleplaying is a good way for me to get out of the house, interact with people, make friends, and do fun things.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

Mason

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 11:13:39 PM »
I enjoy the social aspect too. How many people can say that they have three, four, or five people who they spend several hours with a week in a face-to-face environment.

I'm one of the only people in my office who has friends that I see for long periods of time, nearly every week.

yeah everyone says they want to do that but not to many people make the effort.
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

codered

• Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
Yea I make my work go  around my weekly game just to hang out and have a good time with the same ppl every week.
bad part is that school is out for the summer so one person moved back to Ohio to live with his parents how lame is that. so the 4 player game went too 3. o well I hated that guy any way...
Kenders Rock

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 11:19:13 PM »
I started gaming because family game night during my formative years revolved around Hero Quest.
And then I got interested in online roleplay- which then directly linked to paper and dice games consequently I found myself back where I started.

Now I game to bullshit, do wizardy things, hang out with friends, and also so I always have wild stories to tell folks on the street.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

White Zombie

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 06:52:45 PM »
I game because I enjoy the idea of a group of people using some dice and their minds to entertain themselves. Unfortunately I must be the only one because WoW destroyed my fucking gaming group.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 05:11:34 AM »
I game because I enjoy the idea of a group of people using some dice and their minds to entertain themselves. Unfortunately I must be the only one because WoW destroyed my fucking gaming group.

Strangely, about half of my Star Wars (and Shadowrun, since there's now 100% overlap) groups are recovered MMO addicts, though a couple of them still dabble a small bit. The one remaining serious WoW player eventually quit the Star Wars game because of very thin reasons that basically amounted to he wasn't getting enough WoW time. Good riddance to him, I said. He was pretty lazy and kind of a jerk and I hated seeing him slavishly try and recreate the bastard love child of Han Solo and Boba Fett anyway.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

rayner23

• Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 09:11:27 AM »
Did his backpack have jets?
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 10:51:54 AM »

I would think that if he was the basterd love child of them, he would be more finesse about it, like rocket boots.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »

I would think that if he was the basterd love child of them, he would be more finesse about it, like rocket boots.

I've never connected "Han Solo" with "finesse" before.

codered

• Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 12:05:41 PM »
I just made it t0 80 in wow but I love to roleplay and i technichally suck at wow becuase I don't instance. My friend failed his last 2 semesters in college becuase of wow and lost a full ride to college also.
Kenders Rock

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 12:52:51 PM »
Did I mention that I game so I can learn real magic? Because that's why I'm doing it.