Author Topic: Armada Skill Challenge Fight  (Read 5082 times)

gaigaia

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Armada Skill Challenge Fight
« on: June 24, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
First, I would like to say that I enjoyed the combat resolution very much and would like to add a question: What was the AD&D book which had simillar points that Ross said was pivotal in inspiring him? I'm very curious, specially since it's a ilithid's fortress invasion.

Please, which book was it?

Also, I really think that combat could be resolved by just skill challenges. It would make the game a lot better, in my opinion. Anyway, I just dislike fights that takes 2 hours of rambling game statistics.

Jason

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Armada Skill Challenge Fight
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »
Right there with ya.  I loved the skill challenges, mostly because I hate grinding for most of our allotted gaming time.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Armada Skill Challenge Fight
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Below:_An_Underdark_Campaign

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_5950.html

Some of the specific plot-points also include very special rules to cover the steps that PCs need to take. For instance, determined PCs could just slash their way through the kuo-toan City of the Glass Pool, killing everyone until they render the place empty. The reference cards and books, however, introduce a social control system to help the DM model the effects of kuo-toan racial mental instability, and to show how their society deteriorates as the PCs destroy vital control points. An intelligent group that makes a study of the enemy and exploits this can find ways to destabilize the entire city and drive most of its inhabitants to insanity (and, thus, spread chaos to cover the PCs' attack) just by striking certain critical areas. Similarly, the final battle requires the PCs to puzzle out the rules of magic in the D&D system and then creatively apply their spells and items to cover several magical schools of theory; wizards who focus solely on blowing things up will be forced to retreat and learn more breadth before the PCs can finish matters.