Author Topic: Good anime series?  (Read 33636 times)

Ferc

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: Good anime series?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 12:12:10 AM »
I would like to second Paprika and recommend a series by Satoshi Kon, Paranoia Agent.
This is not a signature.

dragonshaos

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 01:55:44 AM »
Both are good anime.  Also check out something no one probably knows of, 'Gon'  http://tinyurl.com/q24an7

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

vcdaniels

• Utopian Dystopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 02:52:24 AM »
I'm probably gonna get askew looks for this but:

I like Saint Seiya (please, not Knights of the Zodiac, but Saint Seiya).  You'll probably have to get a version in Japanese with English sub.  The subbing is usually a little bad for the earlier eps, but the more recent ones - like the Hades episodes are ok.

Also, Hades Project Zeorymer is okay for giant mech action.

If martial arts and gore are your thing, The Fist of the North Star is pretty ok.

Also, I found Karas interesting.
"Love is a lie, and I never lie to those I love"
                                -- Khea, Whore of Yomyael

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 06:09:15 PM »
Whoever suggested Guyver is wrong. This series sucks dick.

It is so bad because it combines the "political intrigue" (basically, one character who is morally gray) of Gundam Wing with fight scenes that feature characters who are the most powerful thing anyone has ever seen until the next episode ala DBZ.

Though some of the fight scenes are kinda cool, this series is just missing something.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

xHero

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Dorothy: "Fuck it, I'll stay here."
    • View Profile
    • Swing And A Miss Forums
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 01:06:22 AM »
I would like to second Paprika and recommend a series by Satoshi Kon, Paranoia Agent.

Paranoia Agent is amazing... until the writer went insane, now I'm permanently cross-eyed. Also just for Cody, I think you should watch Golden Boy.
"Mmm...Franklin Salad: Tastes of 100 dollar bills, semen, and shame!" - APFMT gone terribly wrong... or right. Check out the Swing And A Miss Forums

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 01:41:57 AM »

It is so bad because it combines the "political intrigue" (basically, one character who is morally gray) of Gundam Wing with fight scenes that feature characters who are the most powerful thing anyone has ever seen until the next episode ala DBZ.

Though some of the fight scenes are kinda cool, this series is just missing something.

Step up to my face a say that!

But yeah, alot of it does suck. Which series did you see, cus there's like three. The oldest one is horrible by any modern reviewing standards. I enjoy the rework they made in the early 2000s. I think there's been something else since them too.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 01:58:09 PM »
I just picked up Cromartie High. It's pretty funny and its only 15 bucks at Best Buy. Clip here
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

nekomata

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
I recomend Planetes if you like realistic scifi. Its got all the crunchy science of 2001, without all the mind numbing boring. Lots of drama and psycology though, but I hate drama and I still enjoyed it. Then again, I watched 2001 to the finish, book is better.
Just because you aren't drunk now doesn't mean you won't have a hangover tommarow.
The only thing worse then zombies is nanotech zombies that are immune to disintegration.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2009, 06:35:53 PM »
I just picked up Cromartie High. It's pretty funny and its only 15 bucks at Best Buy. Clip here
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

I love that one.

pwvogt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »
So I was a fan of Gundam all through high school (actually had all three of the movie hey made of the original series before I even heard Gundam Wing as coming to Cartoon Network, so I have street cred, yo). I've recently been thinking I'd like to see what they've done since Wing was made and to check out some of the new series.

My favorite stuff was everything in continuity with the original series, or those series fitting in the Universal Century timeline. I liked the continuity as well as the more militaristic, less superhero kind of stuff. My favorite Gundam series is the 08TH MS Team miniseries.

All that being said, what would come recommended as far as the recent Gundam series go? I understand that there's something called "SEED" and then the most recent series was just called "00 Gundam" and the latter is what I'm interested in from what I've read. 00 Gundam is available on Netflix so I was going to try it out that way. Anyone seen these and could give an opinion on if I'd like them before I queue (sp?) them up?

Also, anyone see the remake of Evangelion? I guess the DVD's are supposed to be released this fall for the first movie, so that's pretty cool. If anyone wants to recommend anything else based off the fact that I like giant robots with heavier themes, I'm all ears.
The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 11:03:43 PM »
I'm not sure if they were mentioned already but RahXephon and Berserk are two pretty good serieseseses.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Chibi Jae

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »
I would recommend Record of Lodoss War for anyone in the mood for a high fantasy anime, just please for the love of all things anime do not listen to the dub. Its beyond dated in the quality of the voice acting, going with the old mantra of anyone hanging around the office can make a good voice actor.

The other series I recommend are Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Hunter X Hunter and Great Teacher Onizuka.

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 06:03:51 AM »

It's mostly loved for its nostalgia factor and large amounts of blood.  There were also a couple of shitty American-made movies made back in the day (of which I have both and love even though they are utter crap).

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »
There were also a couple of shitty American-made movies made back in the day (of which I have both and love even though they are utter crap).

Oh those where some great bad movies. Costumes, dialog, plot, it had crap covered from all angles. Amazing work.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 02:52:31 PM »
Also Mark Hamil.