Author Topic: Science Fiction Games  (Read 5910 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Science Fiction Games
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »
I try to bring up RPPR with people at my local game store as often as possible to encourage new listeners (and so people understand me when I randomly quote phrases from RPPR games and shows) so I was talking about Eclipse Phase and sci-fi games this weekend.

One of my buddies spring boarded off of that into a info dump about what is apparently his favorite game of all time: Alternity. I have no idea if this is hard sci-fi since I know nothing about it but boy could he talk it up.

Anybody else know any sci-fi aside from Eclipse Phase?

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Science Fiction Games
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:16:10 AM »
I'm still excited about "The Void" which will be/(is for Cthonian Stars which is already out but under a different system) which is a space setting for Cthulhu. I've been interested in it for a while since I saw it pop up on Yog but I haven't tried it yet. The one thing that really interests me is the setting is supposed to be displayed as hopeful and not grimdark. Though everything is still likely doomed.

Cthulhu Advantus is supposed to be similar, I've listened to some games, it's sort post-apocalyptic dystopia with stargates where the players investigate the horrible things that happened not only to Earth but other places. Not sure how "hard" the sci-fi is supposed to be.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:48:11 AM »
is there any sci-fi aside from eclipse phase that doesn't feature the supernatural?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:32:02 PM »
Traveller

Transhuman Space

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
I don't think that a/state had any supernatural elements.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »
http://www.jiawen.net/sfrpg.html#hardsfrpg

googled.

Diaspora from Evil Hat, y'know- those guys.

Does the BSG RPG count? I'd like to think it does.

But I mean, you could do Hard Sci-Fi with Wushu or Savage Worlds, they've got lots of sci-fi skins for it with pdfs and everything. There is even a decent Fallout one. Strange that RPPR hasn't run a Savage Worlds game, I'd like to hear that or a Spirit of the Century game. Wouldn't that be right up Cody's alley?
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 04:36:03 AM »
There was a Stargate rpg a while back (I think two?). As well as a Star Trek.

And I'm going to go out and say that the Cthulhu Mythos is Sci-fi and not supernatural. The creatures are by and large aliens and extra dimensional beings. Depending on how you see the magic it's also closer to psychic powers or odd shortcuts around the laws of the universe achieved by ends other than sorcery.