Author Topic: Random Ass Thought That Won't Go Away Thread  (Read 6772 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Random Ass Thought That Won't Go Away Thread
« on: July 05, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
Why the fuck would the Fremen on Arrakis have developed knife fighting as an internal conflict resolution? Wouldn't a society that reveres water use a method of ritual combat that doesn't spill blood? They should have learned to beat one another with rocks or strangle each other.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Random Ass Thought That Won't Go Away Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:07:38 PM »
Pickles.

Seriously, I have no idea how to answer that question. There are so many things that bother me about the Dune universe. I'll probably slot your concern somewhere after BIGGEST PLOT HOLE FILLING DEVICE: SHIELDS CAUSE MASSIVE EXPLOSIONS WHEN SHOT WITH LASERS SO EVERYONE MUST FIGHT WITH SWORDS.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »
you think...

you would think that would, well,

you know, be um

more of an incentive to use lasers...

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »

more of an incentive to use lasers...

Hence why it's a plot hole filling device.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »
Green Lantern spoilers, in case anybody cares about that.

Why the fuck did Sinestro put on the yellow ring? Hal Jordon just proved that an entity comprised of equal parts pure fear and one of the race of immortals that fucking forges the power rings could be beated by a Green Lantern. Even if he believes he's smarter and stronger than the other Lanterns he already failed to kill the thing himself so he knows there's at least one Lantern he has to watch for. Why would he do anything before making sure the one guy who's proven he can actually fight fear based energy and win is out of the picture?

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:40:28 PM »
Why the fuck would the Fremen on Arrakis have developed knife fighting as an internal conflict resolution? Wouldn't a society that reveres water use a method of ritual combat that doesn't spill blood? They should have learned to beat one another with rocks or strangle each other.
Green Lantern spoilers, in case anybody cares about that.

Why the fuck did Sinestro put on the yellow ring? Hal Jordon just proved that an entity comprised of equal parts pure fear and one of the race of immortals that fucking forges the power rings could be beated by a Green Lantern. Even if he believes he's smarter and stronger than the other Lanterns he already failed to kill the thing himself so he knows there's at least one Lantern he has to watch for. Why would he do anything before making sure the one guy who's proven he can actually fight fear based energy and win is out of the picture?

No reason.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 06:48:15 PM »
Thank you Ross, I actually feel a little better.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 08:36:52 PM »
green lantern was a superhero parody movie. Right? I mean something as silly as the yellow power of fear isn't a real thing, right?