Author Topic: HAY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS THING (Forum Shout Out Thread Thing)  (Read 420031 times)

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics

Twisting H

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: HAY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS THING (Forum Shout Out Thread Thing)
« Reply #361 on: December 21, 2016, 06:15:07 PM »
Gentlemen,

According to Something Awful:

From a Random Anime Twitter posted:
C91 Notice of Distribution】 C91 On the 1st day TOKI - 22a, we will distribute the Cthulhu myth TRPG, Silver Dynasty Campaign Scenario Chapter 2 "Tiananmaki". This time, in addition to the original standing paintings for sessions, we have delivered in volumes exceeding 100 pages in addition to the numerous past editions that started the story of "Tenshi no Tenshi"!

I know not what it is. But it begs to be found and reviewed.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #362 on: December 21, 2016, 10:18:45 PM »
fansub pls

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 23, 2016, 07:36:09 PM »

So, the artist started that piece by tracing over a luxury car ad?
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 01, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »
I'm sure most of you are familiar with Denis Villeneuve's more recent work, but I thought that before the new Blade Runner comes out, you might want to have a look at some of his pre-Sicario work, if you haven't yet:

Polytechnique:
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Incendies:

Enemy:

Prisoners:
http://youtu.be/bpXfcTF6iVk (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 04, 2017, 08:01:59 AM »

Moonlight has a lonely, haunting glow befitting of its title. A triptych illustrating the tidal ebb and flow of identity, Jenkins’s film is awash in dreaminess, while still examining the life of one young man with piercing clarity. It’s a major achievement for second-time director Barry Jenkins, and a refreshing, exhilarating portrait of lives that are so rarely depicted on film.

We meet a boy called Little (heartbreaking Alex Hibbert), living in poor Miami. He’s harassed at school for something his peers see in him that Little doesn’t yet. While at home, he’s increasingly alienated from his mother, Paula (a vivid Naomie Harris), who is succumbing to drug addiction – and indeed, through her haze, she also sees that her boy is different. Little is a boy lost, swallowed up, receding into himself. He only opens up, barely, in the presence of Juan, a kind, sad-eyed, mid-level local drug dealer (the terrific Mahershala Ali), and Juan’s girlfriend Teresa (Janelle Monaë). It’s unclear what their motivations are, but they offer a vital haven for a boy who desperately needs it.

In this first segment of the film, we see the first glimmers of Little’s awareness – of himself, of the world – bloom into being. Jenkins gently, persuasively illustrates these first flashes of dawning realization: the pain and yearning of discovery, the glimpsing of a life’s narrative inexorably folding out before you as you begin stumbling into yourself. Even for those of us who have had far safer and more supportive circumstances than Little’s, these scenes feel startlingly true to the experience of discovering one’s identity – in slow and pained fits, in quick, angry starts.

The second section of the film – the quickest and angriest one – finds teenage Little (the marvelous, wounded Ashton Sanders), now going by his given name, Chiron, more directly grappling with that budding identity. Chiron is gay, or at least not entirely straight, and his classmates torment him. School is a hell, while Paula’s drug use has worsened into a chronic condition. Chiron still has the modest comfort of his semi-adoptive second family, but he’s swelling with the rage and desperation of adolescence, bombarded by the insistent looming of a bleak and seemingly hopeless future.

Here Jenkins strikes his most overtly dramatic chords, falling into a few too-convenient high school narrative clichés, but he still finds moments of dizzying beauty and feeling, particularly in a scene on a nighttime beach, where Chiron and a friendly, loquacious classmate, Kevin (Jharrel Jerome), have a charged, surprising romantic encounter. The scene is shot with a bracing, invigorating intimacy, Jenkins dexterously capturing the tentative trembling, longing, and scary sexiness of first physical contact. (The way he shoots the boys’ hands turns them into vessels of possibility and danger.) It's a commanding, film-defining scene, somehow understated and enormous.

This brief moment of connection sets the stage for the film’s third and most stunning chapter, gliding forward in time some ten years to when Chiron, now called Black (the tremendous Trevante Rhodes), has become his own hulking, haunted mid-level drug dealer in Atlanta. An unexpected phone call from the past sends Black back to Florida, to grapple with his mother and to revisit that moment on the beach with a now grown-up Kevin (André Holland, utterly magnetic).

Here, Moonlight takes on the quality of an Ian McEwan story, showing how a single moment of intimacy, however doomed or blissful, can come to shape an entire life. Jenkins deftly, insightfully meditates on the fraught intersection of black masculinity and homosexuality, while also giving his film the quiet murmur of something mythic and elemental. This third segment is among the strongest stretches of film I've seen in quite some time. It’s so carefully written, and prodigiously, fluidly acted by Rhodes and Holland, that it creates an almost unbearable air of presence and immediacy.

Jenkins has made a breathtaking film, one with political urgency and a deep, compassionate humanity. Moonlight is timely and timeless, a study in limits that casts its gaze up toward something transcendent.

– Richard Lawson, Vanity Fair

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 05, 2017, 07:08:44 PM »
So I was listening to an episode of WoD the Heck (guess which one) and I was reminded of another geek podcast which I have yet to mention here: Métis In Space.

This is a podcast by two geeky Métis ladies who deconstruct sci-fi/fantasy/horror movies & tv shows featuring Indigenous Peoples from a decolonial perspective.  The podcast is currently on hiatus, and I don't know when or if it will return, but there are 30 episodes to listen to.  The bulk of each episode consists of the two of them commenting on a movie or tv show which they've just watched, with a critical view to indigenous representation & issues.  Métis In Space review shows & movies that they love as well as those that they hate, so I'd recommend starting with an episode about something they're fans of, like Star Trek: Star Trek: The Original Series “The Paradise Syndrome” or Star Trek: TNG "Journey's End" before moving on to stuff they hated, like Avatar.

constructacon

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 21, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
this so needs to be a Base Raiders power

https://youtu.be/mYP-2UCS5nY

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #370 on: January 29, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
orbitaloperations.com/

Warren Ellis' newsletter. It's fantastic for learning about interesting books and stuff. The most recent one has a list of his current podcast subscriptions. Good news if your into weird electronica.

Also games:

https://alexiskennedy.itch.io/cultist-simulator-prototype

http://versificator.net/detectiveland/ (Has background music be careful)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:02:39 PM by Adam_Autist »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #372 on: February 10, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »
Scrivener is pretty useful!

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #373 on: February 10, 2017, 10:23:08 PM »
I will second that – Scrivener is so useful
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 15, 2017, 12:20:39 AM »
Some bloody genius on /qst/ (4chan's /tg/ quest thread forum) is running a Lego version of Constantine's Hellblazer as a Quest.

Behold

http://boards.4chan.org/qst/thread/1153912

In 1152, an alchemist named Abdul Abdulavichskison was said to have cut off his own hand and traded it to the world beyond. In exchange, he was given the power within his other hand to enscribe, in a tome bound in the flesh of infants which he called the Necrobibliograph, the names of the thousand horrors that waited beyond our paltry understanding of reality. When he was finished, the book would act as a doorway and the nightmares spilling out would mean the end of the human race.

Of course, that didn't matter to Abdulavichskison, who had gone bloody stark-raving loonie by that point.

On the case

edit:

Lego Quest has a variety of story arcs.  Link to the past SEVEN years of it here: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=lego%20quest

Wiki: http://legoquest.wikia.com/wiki/Lego_Quest_Wiki