Author Topic: HAY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS THING (Forum Shout Out Thread Thing)  (Read 420013 times)

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
Re: HAY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS THING (Forum Shout Out Thread Thing)
« Reply #225 on: November 03, 2015, 03:19:27 PM »
Here's the newest Twitch streaming superstar: http://www.twitch.tv/bobross
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #226 on: November 03, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »
Here's something that sounds like it's up Ross's vaporwavey alley: What to Alvin and the Chipmunks sound like when you slow them back down into normal vocal range?

Answer: heavy.

https://soundcloud.com/alvin-thechipmunkson16sp
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2015, 06:55:36 PM »
There is this game Ultimum that I stumbled across. It is a far future, optimistic post-apocalyptic scifi game.

Although there is the ruins of two alien empires that invaded earth to explore and scavenging to do; the humans and the crocodile-men, ape-men, robot-men, wolf-bear-men (yes you read that right), elf-men, energy-men, and sort of dwarf-men all interact in a mostly harmonious fashion. 

This isn't fallout. To me the tone is more survival and exploration of a vaguely familiar world, rather than say an colony planet that is alien to all the players.

https://youtu.be/0TWrTc0d54E

The tone of the beta rulebook is very much "Heroic, Fuck Yeah!" and it is rather endearing. :allears:

For example:

They had a kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409548667/ultimum

The free beta rules (139 pages), character sheet and adventure are here:

http://www.ultimumrpg.com/downloads.html

The other major thrust of Ultimum is "online support".  This is suppose to include smartphone app and a computer program of the Ultimum rules.

From the website:

Concept

Ultimum is a tabletop Role-Playing Game that is built around a dramatic, science fiction story about races and peoples that are all learning how to live together in the face of survival. The setting is Earth in the far future. The continents have collided and created Pangea Ultima. New sentient species, both alien and terrestrial now populate the Earth and humanity has just returned. There are galaxy spanning threats to overcome, but for now, we need to regroup.

In Ultimum, the players determine the course of the story. In kitchens, living rooms and gaming stores all over the world, players will be playing out their Ultimum sessions from week to week. Once they're finished, they'll upload their progress to the Ultimum website. The developers will organize and trend the player data and start building the future storyline from there.

The other novel feature of Ultimum is the acquisition of gear. Evidently money doesn't exist.* Every player has their own personal fabricator called a RFD.  This fabricator scans the local area and teleports all the useful minerals from the area into its reserves.  So populated areas have been "all mined out" and this is to foment exploration I guess?  If you want to make a piece of gear like a SMG or a piece of armor you construct it based on what materials you have and you also roll randomly for quirks and features on a series of tables.  At least that's the impression I'm getting from a very quick skim. 

It feels very video game like but that is not necessarily a bad thing in this case.

*Money doesn't exist but you can barter mineral for goods and services so yes a common currency does essentially exist.

Alethea

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #228 on: November 03, 2015, 09:18:32 PM »
Yup, totally would play a wolf-bear-person. Artwork sold me.
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

TRNSHMN

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Even less impressive IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2015, 10:22:11 PM »
I'm sorry to be that asshole, but this immediately grabbed my brain and refused to let go. "No Statistics, Only Math." This is that whole stupid meme of GURPS requiring calculus and differential equations. Unless you're playing Phoenix Command you're not doing anything other than basic algebra. If you can't do division or multiplication during character generation, get a calculator like I do. It's not hard, it's literally in your phone and computer already.

Besides, that's making statistics seem bad somehow. I do statistics on dice rolls for fun and it helps me grok the system better.

This also feels like an odd comment because the game's die system seems decidedly weird, and a touch difficult to crunch the math for.

Also, it's your book. If you feel like you want to swear, you can swear, and don't need to censor yourself. If you want to swear but also want to censor yourself, you may want to reconsider doing so, unless your target demo is young teens.

Otherwise, it seems alright. Vaguely reminds me of a less silly and/or Fallout-y Gamma World.

No-fun curmudgeon away!

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »
Coming in January from Lego:

LEGO Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters (75827) Official Images Revealed

LEGO Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters (75827) by Allen Tran, on Flickr

LEGO Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters (75827) by Allen Tran, on Flickr]

Dr. Peter Venkman: What do you think, Egon?
Dr. Egon Spengler: I think this building should be condemned. There's serious metal fatigue in all the load-bearing members, the wiring is substandard, it's completely inadequate for our power needs, and the neighborhood is like a demilitarized zone.
Dr Ray Stantz: Hey. Does this pole still work?

Dr Ray Stantz: Wow. This place is great. When can we move in? You gotta try this pole. I'm gonna get my stuff. Hey. We should stay here. Tonight. Sleep here. You know, to try it out.
Venkman looks at Spengler. Spengler slowly shakes his head. Venkman turns to the real estate agent
Dr. Peter Venkman: I think we'll take it.
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #231 on: November 11, 2015, 03:50:19 PM »
Speaking of Legos, there's a campaign on the ideas community for a Lovelace and Babbage set (with working Analytical Engine): https://ideas.lego.com/projects/102740

They're at 5K in supporters but Lego doesn't review sets until they hit the 10K mark. So go support them!

Did I mention that the Engine fits a Raspberry Pi 2.0?

Go support the Tron Light cycle set too ;)
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/120006 
All the social media:

BeyondSandrock

• Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #232 on: November 11, 2015, 08:51:03 PM »

LEGO Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters (75827) by Allen Tran, on Flickr

Quote from: Aletha

I'd heard about the firehouse, but the Lovelace/Babbage set is equally awesome. I have an Arduino that would be right at home in there. Also thank you for the Tron update as well.
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #233 on: November 13, 2015, 06:48:18 PM »
So this is a thing that exists - the International Journal of Role-Playing, http://ijrp.subcultures.nl/

And if that isn't niche enough for you, there is the Eaton Journal of Archival Research in Science Fiction, http://eatonjournal.ucr.edu/
All the social media:

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 16, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Back with his first film in eight years, legendary Taiwanese director Hou Hsiao-hsien wowed this year's Cannes Film Festival (where he won Best Director) with his awe-inspiring THE ASSASSIN - a wondrous take on the traditional wuxia film. The story is simple, if elusive - in 9th-century China, Nie Yinniang is a young woman who was abducted in childhood from a decorated general and raised by a nun who trained her in the martial arts. After 13 years of exile, she is returned to the land of her birth as an exceptional assassin, with orders to kill her betrothed husband-to-be. She must confront her parents, her memories, and her long-repressed feelings in a choice to sacrifice the man she loves or break forever with the sacred way of the righteous assassins. Rich with shimmering, breathing texture and punctuated by brief but unforgettable bursts of action, THE ASSASSIN is a martial arts film like none made before it.

I was reminded in some ways of Slow West: slowly-paced with gorgeous cinematography.  Even amongst (western) wuxia fans this will probably only appeal to a niche audience, I counted at least 5 people walking out of the screening I attended at a local indy theatre.

TRNSHMN

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Even less impressive IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »
That description reminds me of Hero (2002, starring Jet Li). Would you say there are some similarities, CAD?

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #236 on: November 16, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »
Nice!

Now at the more Feng Sui end of the spectrum i present AMC's Post Apoc Martial Arts Western:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fgod2DIKLs

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #237 on: November 16, 2015, 10:16:42 PM »
that trailer was out of sync and missed like a minute of footage

! No longer available

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 16, 2015, 10:35:12 PM »
that trailer was out of sync and missed like a minute of footage

! No longer available

I was wondering when someone was going to create Murder Hobo: The Series.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2015, 10:49:12 AM »
That description reminds me of Hero (2002, starring Jet Li). Would you say there are some similarities, CAD?

There's a fair amount of drama & court intrigue, but the style of the fight scenes are even less "high action set piece" than Hero.  And the cinematography is less epic but more beautiful.

And it's also not a propaganda piece about one's duty to sacrifice one's free will, happiness & life to a tyrannical government.