Author Topic: Indies rpgs for podcasts  (Read 13444 times)

gaigaia

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Indies rpgs for podcasts
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »
Hello RPPR crew. I'm here to ask if it is in your plans to try some indie rpgs and recommend some titles I think would be very interesting.

For the possibility of podcasting some of them, I very much liked the don't rest your head session. I imagine that this liking is restricted not only to myself, and other viewers would find this idea very amusing. So, I would like to present some titles that I think are the most innovative, fun or geniously well built systems. I would like to hear your opinions and plans on the comments, if possible.

Tittles:

. Dogs in the vinyard: A setting with a very heavy religious tone, but with a even more innovative system of task resolution. Very, very unique.

. The Questing Beast: Using a variation of the system "The Pool", Questing Beast is a rpg of anthropomorphic animals in the king's arthur fantasy era.

. 3:16 - Carnage among the stars: You've hinted in your podcasts that you know this. I thin its an amazing setting with a very distinct resolution of combat. A short series of sessions would make an interesting event.

. Trollbabes: From the same writter of sorcerer, Trollbabes has one of the best narrativist system I've ever seen. In fact, on par with Apocalypse World, this is one of the best rpgs I've ever seen.

. Sorcerer: A very intense rpg setting with a very unique view in angels and demons and sex. This book is almost as a rpg lesson, and his expansions are one of the most well written I've ever read.

. Conspiracy X (old system): I dont know if you can find it in its old system (now it uses the Unisystem, same as All flesh must be eaten and Angel), but the setting is amazing and has a very unique vision on the Grey, Attlanteans and Saurians. A must read if you loved Gumshoe - Fear Itself and Esoterrorists.

. StickGuy and Risus: Both systems are overly simple and funny. Maybe for spinnofs, but I think you could make a very funny session with those two. Or maybe try something different and use them for serious rpgs.

. Cthulhu Dark: A very simple and straighforward investigative system. Centers around narrativism. Even if you dont podcast it, you, as a cthulhu fan, should read it. Its free and 5 pages long. http://www.thievesoftime.com/news/cthulhu-dark/

. Bad Attitudes: A rpg about movie action flicks, where your central atribute is Atittude. Funny, intense, amazing. Its very alike Wushu, and its free: http://berinkinsman.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/bad-attitudes-free-rpg/

. Apocalypse World: This might be the best story-driven rpg I've ever seen. The setting is, although cliche, perfect. The system is simple, and yet complete. The book is very confusing and very poorly put together. Nevertheless, this is a way of looking at rpg very different from all the mainstream focus.

Out of these, I would like to point specially Sorcerer, Trollbabes and Apocalypse world, specially the last one. Those 3 rpgs changed my view of 17 years playing this lovely hobbie of mine. Although I grew up on D&D and AD&D, those 3 really are something.

So...I would like to hear from you, viewers and crew. Until them, see ya'll

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Indies rpgs for podcasts
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »
I'm aware of all of these systems but the main limiting factor here I think is the amount of games I have recorded versus the the podcast posting cycle. The rapid posting experiment (4 GURPS sessions in a week) has shown that the download numbers aren't nearly as good when I post games more rapidly - also the GURPS games aren't getting as nearly as many comments as normal games do. 

I have recorded a game of Old School Hack run by the game's creator at Gencon this year. I will post that next. I have recorded a few sessions of Dogs in the Vineyard but I don't know when I'll post them. I'll probably put them in the next preview ransom batch though.

Z

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »
I'm aware of all of these systems but the main limiting factor here I think is the amount of games I have recorded versus the the podcast posting cycle. The rapid posting experiment (4 GURPS sessions in a week) has shown that the download numbers aren't nearly as good when I post games more rapidly - also the GURPS games aren't getting as nearly as many comments as normal games do. 

I have recorded a game of Old School Hack run by the game's creator at Gencon this year. I will post that next. I have recorded a few sessions of Dogs in the Vineyard but I don't know when I'll post them. I'll probably put them in the next preview ransom batch though.

I never download the GURPS games because they are always really silly and uninteresting to a listener BUT HEY JUST AN OPINION.

also ross play nemesis

or twilight 2000 with aaron

gaigaia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:40:30 PM »

Maybe the problem is GURPS itself. I'm not a huge GURPS fan myself and I'm still listening at the 1st post. This could be one of the reasons why not many people downloaded it yet. But with the indie games, I just thought that it would be very alluring seeing those. I think people would be curious about it.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »
I really enjoy the GURPs games, all the modern day league ones and the yakuza one. Didn't comment because I enjoyed most of them a few months back when they where ransomed.

mrlr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 03:49:22 PM »
Don't forget about Magical Burst.  The RPG where you play a team of magical girls so popular in Japan's dumbest animes.

Random Character Creation (I can control people's minds through sugar!), Random Enemy Creation (My nemesis is a Gelatinous Motorcycle!) and just a plain silly concept could be podcast gold.

Although I'm not sure who you'd get on board to actually try the system.

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:28:03 PM »
Yah, the problem with using the GURPS games as the experiment is that they've been listened to in a ransom already.

"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

beowuuf

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • DM.com - forums dedicated to a 25 year old PC game.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »

Remember the community RPs touch on indie titles too, such as fiasco

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 04:49:41 PM »
oh yeah I recorded a fiasco game at gencon that I will post. I'll do a home game of fiasco too.

BeyondSandrock

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
twilight 2000 with aaron

As long as it is with the Cadillacs and Dinosaurs setting, I'm okay with this.
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"