Author Topic: GenCon 2011 Shoutouts  (Read 11131 times)

AmishNinja

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NaturalOne
GenCon 2011 Shoutouts
« on: August 08, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »
I guess I'ma spearhead this one and get it out of the way. GenCon 2011 was awesome and was made even better by hanging with the RPPR crew. SHOUTOUT TIME.

Caleb: Great Dirty World game. I'm glad I bought the book and want to run a noir game for my friends back home soon. I don't feel like I had my head 100% in the scenario, partly because of my lack of familiarity with the setting, it being early, and not having fully read my 'known persons' section on the sheet before it began. Overall I had a lot of fun! I can't say how refreshing it is to have a GM that is willing to split up groups and do frequent scene cuts. Most would avoid it, and I think that much of the time, dividing up spotlight time makes for a more interesting game.

Aaron: dude, you ran a kickass NIHM game. I set aside my expectations beforehand and ended up getting really into it by 20 minutes. The way you acted out the spirits was excellent. Too bad the shaman player didn't bother to read his character sheet much! Ditto with what I said to Caleb about willingness to split the group up and do scenes.

Ross: the Thursday night game was amazingly fun. I think you outdid last year's improvised game, because the energy was much higher (as was the amount of booze). Truly a shame we didn't get to record it.

Ean&Violet: congrats on making new contacts and sealing the deal on some artist gigs. Violet: way to make mythos horrors look cute. Lovecraft might be rolling over in his grave but I don't care because your byakhees are the best thing.

Everyone else: Tom, Shallazar, ristarr, Tad, David... pretty sure that's it; Good meeting those I hadn't already, and nice seeing those I had last year again.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: GenCon 2011 Shoutouts
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:13:34 AM »
this gencon was the best one yet. ARGH SO MUCH TO SAY

we gonna do 2 episodes about it

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:33:51 AM »
Seconded in regards to Aaron. I had the pleasure of playing in the friday night game, which went quite well.

Getting the chance to meet Caleb was amazingly, hopefully I didn't sound too crazy and obsessive. Sorry I almost didn't see you guys at the mall, I was totally focused on food.

A shout out to everyone who came to my game, especially TPKthulhu, the only guy from the forums I know was there.

ArcDream for their entertaining meeting and good upcoming news for the Oath and for Delta Green. Mr. Glancy handed out a few extremely disturbing teasers.

Probably more, can't think right now, I just got back home a few hours ago.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
  • I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »
I had a great first time experience. Running my game went better than I could have expected. I got a great group of players in both sessions who managed some awesome to create some role-playing moments despite working in new system. If I get to run a game again, I plan on keeping an international focus with my scenario; I got to play with more people from different cultures than I have ever had opportunity to meet at any point previously in my life (Germany, New Zealand, Russia, France, etc).  My only regret is that I didn't run the game another time.  There were some great guys and gals that saw their general tickets wasted by a five-minute late player; it broke my heart every time.

It was awesome to meet with everyone from the forums (Tad, Shallazar, HPLustcraft, etc), and the meet-up game was loads of fun.  The games with Greg Stoltze, Shane Ivey, Glancy, Simian, Meg and the rest of the Arc Dream crew were a blast, and I have to thank all of them for allowing "that weird little toady following Ross around" to roll in. It was a pleasure to meet Violet and Ian, finally; I kept wanting to grab those sketchbooks out of their hands just to see what they were working on.

Old School Hack was the bomb. I am so thrilled its creator came out and ran a game for us. I learned a lot about GMing by watching him work, and I plan to use the rules if I ever get a chance to teach game design or collaborative storytelling to my students.

The DG panel got me excited enough to buy the old books. The Eclipse Phase panel was...edifying, to say the least.  Aaron seemed to do great job running his game, as did Tom with the WT zombies scenario. I had great roommates and our hotel was the bomb (thanks David).

So overall, it was a super time...except now I'm flat-ass broke. Sadly, that will probably be enough to keep me from coming back in the future, but I hope everyone Google+ or facebook's me.  I met a lot of really interesting, fun people there.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
I actually spent alot less than I thought I would. I blame the fact that I had to run games this year, I didn't have the time to wander the dealer room and buy random junk like I did last year.

If you want extra money you could always sell off unofficial games. Anybody from the RPPR staff could easily auction off spaces in a personal game, one where they didn't have to fight the GenCon registration system and other gamers going for the spaces. I'd be willing to pay ten to fifteen bucks for a spot in an unofficial game. If you can get four or five people to match that you'd have between 50 (5 people at 10 each) and 90 (6 people at 15 each) dollars extra. Or ransom off something awesome, like we did with Aaron last year. It's amazing the amount of money Ross has squeezed out of the fan base before.

Speaking of which, Aaron, good to hear the DVDs are nearly done.

SimonLucid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Don't put that in there is doesn't belong there
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »
Never been to a gaming con...maybe I'll go next year.
The question is how faggy can I get...

If you like my avatar check out Seriousbreakfasttime on deviantArt for more great works.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »
Hopefully within the next 3 years ill make it to one. Wife needs to finish school and start outearning me then maybe I will make it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:27:42 PM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 04:17:46 PM »
We'd welcome you with open arms. A few more RPPR fans at the meet up and we'll have to start trying to find a more established place to hang out. We had over ten people (not all at the sametime, people came and went sometimes) at the meet this year.

BobThePaladin

• "Smite Evil! SMITE EVIL!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 08:55:52 PM »
Hey I had fun meeting all you guys at the con.  This was my first year at GenCon and I was still trying to get over the hurdle of how the hell everything worked.  Note to self: sign up to games early. 

Goddamn that exhibition hall was a black hole, spent most of my time in there instead of going to all the seminars I had signed up to.

Wish I could have stuck around for Ross' improv game, next time for sure.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 11:35:32 AM »
I'm just now beginning to come out of my GenCon Haze. I met Tom Church, it was glorious.
Thanks to Ross for cutting out of his game and dumping it on Tom, otherwise we would have never been able to have our moment.

Caleb's game rocked the house for a different reason and ended up being my friend and I's favorite game we played. Super great.

The unspeakable oath panel was great, the Gumshoe panel I attended was pretty stellar as well, apparently they are making "lorefinder" (pathfinder gumshoe) fantasy investigation system. Pretty excited about that.

Played in a new Esoterrorist scenario, was ruined by "that player" but the scenario was a great and it was my second undercover character since Caleb's game- once again I did not get found out.

Thanks to Aaron for killing us in the mall.

Looking forward to Next Year: Tom, Tom maybe running a game (an original Tom), The meetup. You were all super friendly and I was glad I went to the panel after not knowing where the fuck embassy suites were located. I'd be willing to run a game for fans sometime other than the meetup night. Amish you seemed pretty cool. And Tad was great too.  Got to play another game with David and he once again had a broom. I'm not sure who else I met, but you are great too. It was an exciting time for me, thanks! Next Year BIGGERRRR!
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Rawtooth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 01:38:14 AM »
/melodrama

I was having a great time until CALEB!!! kicked me out of the game he was running!  /melodrama_off

More seriously, my first GenCon was fun and interesting, but honestly... PAX and Templecon are far more enjoyable for me.  GenCon felt very much like a vendor-con, which there is nothing wrong with, but isn't for me.  I did create some great memories, like explaining to the Eclipse Phase booth-guy that yes the two Alaskans had heard of Eclipse Phase and love it, but I don't think GenCon is in my cards for the foreseeable future.
Fractals are our friends.

Patrick

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »
Damn. I really want to go to Gen Con. I've been desperately trying to talk my gaming crew to go, but money and time are generally the limiting factors.

The RPPR meetup sounded pretty epic! I can't believe you didn't record that game Ross. Next time, next time...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:20:34 PM by Patrick »
[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]