Author Topic: Fight! The Fighting Game RPG  (Read 9703 times)

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
Fight! The Fighting Game RPG
« on: September 04, 2011, 12:16:18 AM »
So Fight! is the newest in my collection of systems, and as I recently finished writing up a character (my Bagheera from OWoD, in fact) and learned the rules, figured I'd say 'This system owns'.

For what it does, at least, it's great. It sets out to emulate the fightin' game style both in mechanics and tone (as well as some details), and generally does a damn good job of it. Perhaps because of this, other things that're also important (non-combat stuff) gets a very brief skim-over, before it just delves directly into the meaty goodness of combat.

All in all, I'd say it's actually pretty great. The Char-Gen is pretty fun, the combat flows nicely, even if it is a bit complicated, and it succeeds at what it sets out to do. My only quibbles with it are actually about the PDF/Book, rather than the system proper.

All black and white is somewhat straining on the eyes, and without bookmarks in the PDF, navigation is a pain. The art is also a little erratic, which strikes me as odd, but altogether, good stuff. 7.5 outta 10?

Anyone else got 'dis?
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Fight! The Fighting Game RPG
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:12:10 AM »
i liked it better when it was called street fighter the rpg

(white wolf made it)

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/wtf-street-fighter.php

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 02:27:33 AM »
Having seen SF:tRPG, I'd say Fight! is the superior product.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 02:46:11 AM »
The art's amusing at times though.

Makoto prepares to show off her new Special Move: Nutcracker

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 03:35:01 AM »
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
I like Fighting!, especially with the new stuff they added in the second book, but I haven't been able to get anybody to sit down and play it yet. I'm going to do a demo of it at my local game shop down the line to try and con some saps into trying it.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 01:36:45 PM »
I like Fighting!, especially with the new stuff they added in the second book, but I haven't been able to get anybody to sit down and play it yet. I'm going to do a demo of it at my local game shop down the line to try and con some saps into trying it.

Round 2? Yeah, it's a neat book. Lemme know if you get some players, I'm interested in hearing how well the combat flows in person.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »
I'm going to start recording the playtests when I do them (sound quality will not be great since it's during the middle of the day at a game store) but I'll be happy to put it on the Community AP site when it's done.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 03:20:22 PM »
I'm going to start recording the playtests when I do them (sound quality will not be great since it's during the middle of the day at a game store) but I'll be happy to put it on the Community AP site when it's done.

Sweet.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »
SO, I have run the first game in my Fight! miniseries. I have a few observations:

First off, the rules are great at emulating the genre, and it feels very Fighting Game-y. This is great.

Second: Don't ever allow anyone to combined Priority with Temporary Invulnerability; it is broken and any player who attempts it must be bludgeoned with a heavy object.

Third: PL 1 (the beginning) characters are painful to watch in combat, much like people just learning a fighting game; they're prone to whiffing, getting hit by things that nobody has any business getting hit by, and otherwise being pathetic, albeit awesome at the same time.  Thankfully, a character can, if they win one combat, stand a good chance of actually moving up from PL 1 to PL 2 in one session, as it only takes 25 or so glory to do so.

THIS IS GOOD. Steady power-advancement at the low tiers means that players will naturally get more invested because they can steadily watch their characters become more bad-ass, as well as moving things along better for the game master, who can pit them up against simultaneously more and more awesome things.

All in all, I actually really like the game. Gonna buy me the hardcopy once it's available.