Author Topic: Campaign for 2011-2012  (Read 19760 times)

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
Campaign for 2011-2012
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:36:15 PM »
I'm planning on running another long ass campaign. I'm considering another lengthy Cthulhu related adventure, however I'm interested in some other opinions. What are some great published campaigns (other than Road Trip, Masks of Nyarlathotep, and the New World) ?

I'm going to record the sessions and post them on the community site, so if there is something out there that you believe just needs to be run and recorded - I might just give it a shot.

Thanks!
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Campaign for 2011-2012
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 02:38:35 AM »
Delta Green is perfect for a long campaign - start by focusing on one of the minor groups like Karotechia - PCs investigate one of their pawns. They work their way up the ladder, find their South American lair and then have a glorious battle to wipe out the evil nazis.

Then you can switch to a major group - MJ-12 or the Fate or the cult of transcendence - the players fight them to a stalemate or possibly even win at a great cost but they find out that the mythos is eternal...

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:09:35 AM »
Though they are more like setting book rather than adventure, I'd suggest The Deadful Secrets of Candlewick Manor. I GMed a few games for it, and the setting is simply amazing.

Another great alternative would be The Mysteries of Mesoamerica by Pagan Publishing. Though it has a few adventures, I could definitely see running an entire campaign by linking those adventures together.

Delta Green, as Ross said, can be easily converted into a long adventure. Eyes Only features many more adventures, as well as expanding on the Fate. And Targets of Opportunity could provide great starter enemies, ones that could be more easily defeated than the big players but that could link to the others in later scenarios.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:04:33 AM »
World of Synnibar!
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Ross and Dom!

What about more non Cthulhu genre things?
I wish I was Tom.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 12:21:09 PM »
EDIT: hey I just saw that 'Cthulhu related adventure' bit.

MY BAD. :downs:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:25:04 PM by Moondog »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 12:47:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Ross and Dom!

What about more non Cthulhu genre things?

genre things? Do you mean ideas or published campaigns? What genres?

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
Not cthulhu or horror related I guess is what I meant by genre things.

And yes, published campaigns. Classic campaigns that you could recommend. I'm shooting for diversity in these suggestions.

Is there a campaign book for synnibar? Otherwise that's just too much work for me at this point Moondog.
I wish I was Tom.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 03:53:31 PM »
The Enemy Within - Warhammer Fantasy - considered one of the best campaigns ever written for any RPG

Night Below, Rod of Seven Parts, Against the Giants, Temple of Elemental Evil, Scourge of the Slave Lords - classic D&D campaigns

MrThoth

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 04:38:56 PM »
It has been years, so I am not sure if this is the full title, but I was in a game for old World of Darkness Vampire called something like "The Transylvania Chronicles".  It was a four book series from spanning the Dark Ages to modern nights, and kind of lead itself to go straight from there to the End of Times books White Wolf did before they reset.  I was pretty good, assuming you like the old Vampire rules, although I suppose you could use the story and the new Vampire rules pretty easily.

That is the only epic style campaign I can think of that I actually was a part of, so not much help otherwise.

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
Ebay the World's Largest Dungeon and upgrade it for Pathfinder!  ;D

Oh, and while I definitely stand behind Mysteries of MesoAmerica... The scenarios are pretty cool, but they have very different styles, geographical locations, and chronological timeframes... my read of them does not have them flowing well together as a single campaign. Plus that one scenario *WILL* kill all your players. See either Ross's AP on the main site or my AP on the community site if you have doubts.

I'm just about to finally finish up your Masks campaign, I'm an hour into Welcome to Die right now. I can't wait to hear new recordings of your games soon!

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 09:33:44 PM »
Red Hand of Doom is pretty horrifyingly lethal good. I enjoyed it.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »
We've got the world's largest dungeon at my FLGS.

I'm still super conflicted as to what I want to run. But I was thinking WFRP. The enemy within you say? Sounds like a winner.

I wish I was Tom.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »
The reason I ask is because my thesis is on roleplaying games as a collaborative storytelling medium and what effect that has on narrative. The plan is to end up with a final product that which consists of 1) My "original" game written up as a standard adventure, 2) the actual play transcript and 3) the discussion of the transcript vs the original write up.

Ideally I'd like to model it on a longer campaign but at the moment  I'm happy to run pre-written things for practice and work out some things both as a GM and as an academic experimenter.
I wish I was Tom.

BobThePaladin

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • "Smite Evil! SMITE EVIL!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »
Oh, and while I definitely stand behind Mysteries of MesoAmerica... The scenarios are pretty cool, but they have very different styles, geographical locations, and chronological timeframes... my read of them does not have them flowing well together as a single campaign. Plus that one scenario *WILL* kill all your players. See either Ross's AP on the main site or my AP on the community site if you have doubts.

They don't call the Well of Sacrifice the "Boneyard" for nothing!