Author Topic: Campaigns You Would Run If You Had The Time And Players And Energy  (Read 88551 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Games you would run if you didn't have the players that you do
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 07:43:18 PM »
monsters and other childish things. my players couldnt let someone else control they're monster, let alone play as a small child.

You can let a player control both the kid and monster. Whatever works best for your group. I've done it both ways and they're both viable.

yeah but just having them play kids is a stretch for my group. they see role playing not as you playing the role of someone else but more of a "what would I do" in this scenario. in some cases its okay, but if your playing a samurai who runs from a fight I immediately have an axe to grind. god damn "Jessica" players.

Pitch it like this: What would you do if you were back in school...with a Lovecraftian monster at your beck and call? Oh and there's some evil shit you need to fight. Try to get them in a session and let them indulge in their dreams for a bit..getting revenge on the bullies...impressing the ladies and acing those tests. Get them hooked on the idea then throw in the wizards and rival monsters and so on.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 05:03:10 AM »
What I'd run (and will run, as soon as I find other players and have time), is D&D and 4th Ed specifically. None of the gamers I play with now like D&D at all. In fact, most make a point of bashing D&D on a regular basis and they especially hate 4e (though I find it ironic that most of them love Saga Edition Star Wars while hating D&D4e). So, while I do like all these people and they are my friends, I can't run D&D with them. Almost any other game I'd think about running (In Nomine, Cthulhutech, Call of Cthulhu, etc), they'd be great for. But I want some fragging D&D, damn it.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 11:03:55 AM »
What I'd run (and will run, as soon as I find other players and have time), is D&D and 4th Ed specifically. None of the gamers I play with now like D&D at all. In fact, most make a point of bashing D&D on a regular basis and they especially hate 4e (though I find it ironic that most of them love Saga Edition Star Wars while hating D&D4e). So, while I do like all these people and they are my friends, I can't run D&D with them. Almost any other game I'd think about running (In Nomine, Cthulhutech, Call of Cthulhu, etc), they'd be great for. But I want some fragging D&D, damn it.

I'm beginning to come 'round to the idea that players exist to spite GMs.

Mason

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 05:21:29 PM »

I'm beginning to come 'round to the idea that players exist to spite GMs.

its really a damn shame that RPG tracker site, that Wizards was working on, is busted. it was suppose to be like facebook for gamers so you could find groups in your area.
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 08:37:38 PM »
its really a damn shame that RPG tracker site, that Wizards was working on, is busted. it was suppose to be like facebook for gamers so you could find groups in your area.

Gleemax? Yeah, that isn't taking off like they said it would. Be better off actually using Facebook to look for gamers.

Phelanar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 09:45:01 PM »
Because Gleemax was freaking broken as often as it was working. Login problems, downed servers, broken code, and other issues just didn't make people want to put up with it. If it had worked the way it was supposed to, it could have been a nice resource. As it stands, got to find gamers through old fashioned game store notes, meetup.com, nearbygamers.com and all those other sorts of places.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 10:14:42 PM »
Same here. Finding new people is seldom easy. Those I have found have been accidental. I carry my books with me where ever I go and sometimes people notice.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 11:20:51 PM »
monsters and other childish things. my players couldnt let someone else control they're monster, let alone play as a small child.

You can let a player control both the kid and monster. Whatever works best for your group. I've done it both ways and they're both viable.

yeah but just having them play kids is a stretch for my group. they see role playing not as you playing the role of someone else but more of a "what would I do" in this scenario. in some cases its okay, but if your playing a samurai who runs from a fight I immediately have an axe to grind. god damn "Jessica" players.

Goddamn Jessica players indeed!

I wanted to play Mutant City Blues!
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 09:54:36 AM »
Just a thought, but I'm willing to let someone run my IRL character for awhile. He's a 27 year old, graduate teaching assistant at UW-Milwaukee in the English Department. His main tasks for the next two weeks are churning out 60 pages and grading student essays. Who's in?!?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Phelanar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 10:34:50 AM »
I'll trade. My character has to proofread and correct a 1500 page government document in 3 days.

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 02:18:28 PM »
All I ever play is d&d so I would love to play anything  out there
Kenders Rock

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 02:22:06 PM »
I'll trade. My character has to proofread and correct a 1500 page government document in 3 days.

hmm...I'll have to check my clearance level.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 02:27:58 PM »
My RL character answers phones and arranges for people having medical devices inserted into them eight hours a day. Sometimes he eats a muffin. The muffin encounters are my favorite.

jonnygadfly

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Was not put on this earth to 'get it.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 02:30:15 PM »
I'd like to play any game that presents problems to which the solution is not "KILL THEY ASS."

My players do very well at any game centered around violence (DnD, Cyperpunk, etc.), unfortunately they tend to approach ALL games with the same mindset. I especially like investigative games, but the two attempts I've made to run games in this gameplay style have ended in violent shoot-outs involving vehicular homicide and violent kidnappings respectively.

I'm currently organizing a Doctor Who game using Skype because the only players I know with the temperment for such a think live very, very far away.
"See? That was nothing. But that's how it always begins. Very small." -Egg Shen

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 02:42:48 PM »
Kidnapping. There's one I'm glad they've avoided so far. Outright murder is, at least, easy to roleplay. Kidnapping, the person is, theortically, right there. It's uncomfortable and hard to manage.