Author Topic: What do you want the next RPPR campaign to be?  (Read 95333 times)

Scribbleykins

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want the next RPPR campaign to be?
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2011, 09:24:27 PM »
I think you could pull of the post-apocalyptic game very well, Ross.

That or the Rogue Trader game. I'd like to see how bad you'd make things for people with the insanity/corruption scale. I'd also like to see someone play an Explorator and have to say everything with a deadpan voice.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2011, 09:46:29 PM »
post apocalyptic paladins

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215962

gives me an idea of doing a post apocalyptic iron heroes game

I think I'll do a RT and Yakuza one shot.

and for no good reason: http://conceptrobots.blogspot.com/

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »
I totally support an Iron Heroes game with post-apocalyptic setting.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »
I think I'll do a RT and Yakuza one shot.

Mix them together. Then Tom's cannibal psycho will be the normal one.

attic

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2011, 04:14:20 AM »
yeah I could do a zombie/fallout influenced post apoc campaign.

This and Rogue Trader both have my interest most piqued.  Reading some of the ideas Ross had for the post apoc has really tipped my vote firstly in favour of that one.

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2011, 09:33:58 AM »
Rogue Trader is my favorite from that list.

The post apoc talk is making me think back to Tales of the AfterNow, which would make quite a good campaign setting.

already ran a mini campaign of invictus - 4 sessions of play

Go on.....

Thad's character in Invictus was a senator but role played as Hedonism Bot from Futurama

Good. Good.

Z

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
The post-apocalypse can be a really interesting setting when you give it to people that aren't just hamfisted Fallout imitators. I look forward to what Ross could do with it.

nemesissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

joecrak

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2011, 11:47:37 PM »
Of all the one's listed I vote Iron Heroe's, because i want to hear how that plays.

My own suggestion is Legend of the 5 Rings.  Feudal era samurai, many different clans and families to choose from, cool disadvantages and advantages to choose during character creation. 

Great system mechanics too, d10 Roll and Keep. 

A reason i think the group would enjoy it is, it is incredibly lethal combat and because of this it encourages players to try and talk things out with their enemies.

The same makers also made one of my favorite games 7th Sea, but while i think it would be possibly fun to hear the group play that, its known for its cinematic swashbuckling elements where the hero's rarely die, sort of the complete inverse of L%R.

Though both systems have lovecraftian horror's which is always great!
Freedom is not a license for chaos.

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2011, 05:34:14 AM »
If we're naming obscure systems, I cast all my votes for "Dark Continent" a game of Victorian exploration and exploitation in Darkest Africa. Great White Hunters, Jungle Lords and frenzied Explorers brave malaria, hardships and forgotten magic in the quest for fame and glory.

Originally it may have been thought up as a Cthulhu supplement but then it became its' own beast and is a joy to play. Here is an audio game (the first of 12 I think) from Yog-sothoth: http://www.yog-sothoth.com/docs2/av-dark-continent-01.mp3 sadly you have to become a patron to get the rest but well worth it.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
update: I bought Black Crusade. Gonna run a one shot of that at some point. :D

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »
I'm running a Black Crusade playtest this weekend. If you can drive 2,000 miles by saturday your welcome to see how its done.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2011, 02:13:20 AM »
post-apocalyptic campaign update: One of the ideas/tropes I want to challenge is the idea that an apocalyptic event utterly wipes out all technology, science and knowledge except for the remnants. I want to create a post-apoc world that still has wireless computer networks

Enter the global mesh/darknet http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/11/the-darknet-plan-netroots-activists-dream-of-global-mesh-network.ars

Instead of a global internet, imagine countless local wireless networks, some connected to nearby settlements/enclaves - some not. People use repurposed computers to use it - old PCs, refurbished cell phones etc.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2011, 03:15:13 AM »
Makes perfect sense to me.

So pipboys? Or does technology continue to advance in the Wifi hotspots?

When it comes to the post-apocalyptic I'm not too familiar, mostly through the Fallouts and Chronicles of Future Earth(the BRP RPG), I'm just interested on hearing more about your process of "world building" especially in this instance.

Please do keep us updated and it would be interesting to see your process, sort of devblog-like or what have you.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2011, 03:18:42 AM »
post-apocalyptic campaign update: One of the ideas/tropes I want to challenge is the idea that an apocalyptic event utterly wipes out all technology, science and knowledge except for the remnants. I want to create a post-apoc world that still has wireless computer networks

Enter the global mesh/darknet http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/11/the-darknet-plan-netroots-activists-dream-of-global-mesh-network.ars

Instead of a global internet, imagine countless local wireless networks, some connected to nearby settlements/enclaves - some not. People use repurposed computers to use it - old PCs, refurbished cell phones etc.

This seems like a really interesting jumping-off point.  And actually makes a lot of sense, as I don't think that it's necessarily reasonable that we would fall so far back technologically (though since it hasn't happened, who can say)...

Ezechiel357

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »
Let's do some apocalypse, shall we ?

How much of the population was wipped out ?
This will determine what kind of settlement you can find. The more apocalyptic it was, the more disperse the groups will be.

How global or pinpoint was the destruction ?
This will tell you what chance you have to find large, organised, possibly almost intact town/city.

Did the apocalypse affect only humans, only living beings or was it also a global destruction ?
The more "global" the destruction, the less likely it is that large infrastructures (like dams, nuclear plant, power station) remains untouched - hence reducing the probability of electricity being available.

A suggestion: the apocalypse was cause by a massive solar flare, which roasted a good chunk of the population, toasted everything which was high tech. However, as a side effect, earth is now constantly generating radio-wave of various level and intensity. The radio-wave soup allows to have wifi and radio communication with very rudimentary, mechanic based system: instead of having to emit something, you just tweak the ambiant waves.
Of course the more accurate you want the information, the more performant and high tech becomes the equipment. And because it is free flowing, you have to be careful to who could be listening.
That could be a fun way to have radio system without much electricity and the whole infrastructure required (servers, antennas & such).
And maybe there are some strange immaterial creatures living in these ocean of radio-wave.

What about some weirdos who decided to apply metal sheet straight on their brains so they can listen to the Signal...

Nothing can stop the Signal !