Author Topic: Wild Talents question  (Read 189053 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Wild Talents question
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
I don't remember how it worked. If I was included to have a player with that I'd probably go with:

Useful (Know anything known to man)
2 Hard Dice.

That'd cost 8 points and, as the Storyteller, I'd put a Willpower cost on that (pay 1 Willpower to use the ability). No Duration, no extended function, and self only is build into the wording. It would let you know one thing (GM's judgement about the size of "one thing") known to humankind.

That's more or less how I set it up for RJ - I gave limitations but I don't remember what off the top of my head but it was a 2 HD useful power.  I think I also gave it variable since it could ape any skill.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2012, 04:46:12 PM »
You could also use augment to add two hard dice to knowledge skills. That way you are guaranteed a knowledge roll of 2x10 minimum. If this power only pertained to facts this would be the best way imo
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2012, 05:53:33 PM »
That rights a bell... I think it might have been two Hard Dice in a Profession skill for knowledges. Like, he was trained in all Knowledges.

That'd make it 20 points.

Froggycleric

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »
So a Jack of all trades power, would consist of Useful: Variable Effect, Augment, If/then(Die pool may not go above 7) for 9 per die.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2012, 10:36:28 PM »
If you want a true Jack of All Trades power it would be:

Useful (Emulate Skills) Base 2
Variable Effect +4
If/Then: Only for Variable Effect -1
If/Then: Can only emulate skills -1
Augment +4

Total cost per die: 8

This would allow you to turn the dice in this power into any skill that exists or can be made up or you can add the dice to any of your existing skills with a Useful function (not Attacks or Defends).

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2012, 02:48:50 AM »
Does the Augment Extra automatically make the useful quality a self only quality?

If not then(assuming you weren't using the augment feature and instead using the Variable effect) you would need Self Only -3 to make sure you we're only giving yourself these skills. Not sure if Variable effect has the same caveat about needing power capacity range added to give others those abilities.

For instance

Useful[Range]
Change Appearance

and
Useful[Self]
Change Appearance

Both have Variable Effect but two very different effects.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:29:48 PM by Flawless P »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »
According to the text in the Wild Talent's book, by default Augment only applies to the user.

Yeah, it probably should have self only on it due to the Variable Effect.

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2012, 07:04:56 AM »
So I'm trying to figure things out and make a DIY super team in the process, question one: can you add the Spray quality to the brawl hyper skill so they can punch people in all the places?

I will have more questions.

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2012, 07:13:42 AM »
Yes. I personally enjoy finding extremely weird ways to apply Spray to different skills and abilities (research + spray: read multiple books / screens simultaneously), so I can attest you can. Picture it as a fighting game's rapid-fire flurry of punches, or reskin it how you like.

As a practical example: For the Star ORE game I'm probably never going to end up running, Darth Maul-style characters with double-bladed lightsabers get Spray 1 to show multiple hits with the lightsaber's two blades. This is modeled in-game with a hyperskill (Lightsaber) with a focus, and Spray 1 along with various levels of attacks and Penetration.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2012, 10:08:21 AM »
Okay, so see if I have this right:
Short story: he's a pilot/martial artist, he's heard rumors that in the next three years a semi-obscure Taoist goddess will choose a new companion for 800ish years of immortality so he's started worshipping her and set out to prove himself a hero worthy of legend.

Stats (80 pts)
Body              3d(5d+2hd)      Mind 2d
Coordination   3d(+2hd)             Charm 2d
Sense      3d(6d)             Command 3d
Base Will   6 (3)         Willpower 7 (1)
Motivations: Prove self worthy: 3 Help out the struggling: 1
Passion: Hone skills: 2

Skills (54 pts)
Athletics 3d(5d)      First Aid            Interrogate
Blocking                  Knowledge: martial arts 3d   Intimidate
Brawl 3d+3hd+1wd      Language [Chinese] 1d      Leadership
Endurance 3d              Medicine            Stability 2d
Melee            Navigation 2d
                    Research
Dodge    3d(6d+3hd)   Security System
Driving (jet) 3d              Survival
Stealth               Tactics
Ranged
            Lie
Empathy 1d      Performance
Perception 2d      Persuasion 1d
Scrutiny 1d

Powers
Archetype (5 pts)
Life Force, power theme: martial arts (5pts)
Hyper stats (52 pts)
Body: 2d+2hd (24)
Coordination: 2hd (16)
Sense: 3d (12)
Hyper Skills: (45 pts)
Brawl: (+Spray: 2pts) 3hd+1wd (23, 8+12+3 unhyper skill)
Dodge: 3d+3hd (9)
Athletics 2d (2)
Stability: 1d+2hd (5)
Melee [Escrima stick] 2d+2hd (6)
Misc. (8pts)
Multiple Actions 2hd (8pts)

I'm not sure about the skills, I think he has a brawl and dodge pool of 14 so if he does multiple actions he can use either (replacing the lost hd with one from multiple actions.) If I want to have him dodge and attack in the same action I have to keep his dodge pool equal or higher or I lose the wiggle dice from brawl?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:18:02 AM by Journ-O-LST-3 »

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
Wiggle die from brawl, no matter the circumstances, can only be used in a set for brawl, so keep that in mind.
I am not going to check your math because I just got back from 7 hours of overtime paperwork but yes I believe you have the gist. This is an incredibly dodgy and punchy character, if those are your goals you should be proud.  ;D

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2012, 05:07:46 AM »
Yes. I personally enjoy finding extremely weird ways to apply Spray to different skills and abilities (research + spray: read multiple books / screens simultaneously).

So if I put interference on my research skill, I can keep other people from learning about a thing. Add in permanent and I've checked out all the books and used up all the bandwith. You've gotta beat my hard dice if you want even the smallest scrap of knowledge. MUAHAHA (may use this for a semi-goofy bad guy sometime.)

Or putting traumatic on a skill, survival? Stright to cannibalism. Leadership? Warhammer Commissars fear me.

Burn+Lie means people keep believing what I say long after I've said it.

Daze+Lie means my lies knock people for a loop.

Subtle+attack skills or Persuasion or lie would be kind of dickish too.

Hell, speeding bullet+lie means normal people can't see through my lies, they come too fast and furious for tiny mortal minds to see them.

Too fun.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »
Hokay, now for a harder question, have I got the math for figuring out multi-powers down? As example:

Control Computers UUUUUD: (U (universal interface), U (command override) U (powers computer) U (Binary translator), U (Remote command of armor): 10pts/d
Universal Interface (Duration+2 touch-2
Command Override: (Duration+2 Attached-2 (UI) Touch -2
Powers Computer (Duration+2 Attached-2 (UI) Touch-2 if/then must have suit on -1
Binary Translator (Duration+2 Attached-2 (UI) Touch-2
Remote Command of Armor Permanent+4 Range booster+2 Focus -1
Mind shielding (Permanent+4 Self only-3 if/then: can be bypassed by combined attack on mind and computer -1

This is the nano computer a young lady installed in herself (under the assumption it would not hurt) it is rewiring her brain a bit, grants hyper skills*, hyper mind, command and sense and is the interface jack for hir power armor, does that seem okay for a theme?
*She is unaware it gave her 4d in stability, somehow she never thinks about the chemicals keeping her more calm these days.

Next question: what does mutable mean? Do you need it to add new extras to a power? To buy new powers after the game starts? To change powers around? I am confused.

Nothing to do with anything but also I like:
Pilot and Suit repair systems (Regenerate Suit and pilot (6) Depleted-1 Focus-1 Slow-2 if/then must be linked into suit-1)  (must be fed metal and meat, repairs her and the armor): 1
3hd (6)
Because the girl is bordering on terrified about what it means that she throws scrap metal and discount meat into a "vent" on her power armor and it uses that to rebuild her. She knows lots about nano things but still, she blew some of her foot off when testing out the blaster, and it's right back like new.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
Control Computers

You would need the Universal Interface so she can connect to any computer you want.

Then Powers Computer if you want her to be able to turn on disabled systems.

Binary Translator - I'm assuming this is the actual Control Power although I'm not sure if it would be necessary, instead should could just make a Computer Systems hyperskill check. This would also removed the "command override" requirement.

An easier way to make the Remote command of the armor would be to give the Universal interface a standard range capacity then if/than it so that she has to touch anything that doesn't already have a wireless signal. That way she can control her power armor at range without having to pay for a separate quality that is basically doing the same thing as another quality, just less so.

Technology is My Bitch UU [U(Universal Interface) U(Powers Computer)] 6/Die
Useful: Universal Interface[Duration +2 If/Then -1 Booster +2]
Useful: Powers Computer [Duration +2 Attached -2(UI) Touch -2]

Universal Interface: Allows the character to interface with any computer system this connection can be used at range if the machine already has a wireless signal. Use of appropriate Computer based hyperskill to manipulate the system is required once connected.

Powers Computer: Character can make physical contact to provide power for an electronic device.

As for Mutable I believe that is an extra for Foci? If so iirc it means that the powers in the focus can be altered easily... Don't quote me on that I'd have to look at my book.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:33:36 PM by Flawless P »

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2012, 04:19:02 PM »
Mutable is not an extra for powers, it's part of your archetype. With mutable a character can build and buy new powers at any time using their character points, even during a session (though this costs extra). Without Mutable a character is limited in when they can spend points to add to their characters, and can only add a new power at the GM's discretion.