Author Topic: Wild Talents question  (Read 188691 times)

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
Re: Wild Talents question
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »
I don't have their sheet in front of me so I don't remember. I believe they don't have any LAR or HAR extra added onto it.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2011, 01:13:58 AM »
Who wants to help me make a portal gun?

Useful
Range
Permanent
Focus
Accessible
Obvious

Useful for lifting objects also.

I want to include a Coordination check to avoid falling into the portal or some other type of resist roll but I'm not sure if there is a flaw for that or not...

Thoughts?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 01:37:21 PM »
Use the if/then flaw for your resist check. That way you can setup your own terms for the avoidance check.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
Got this email from one of my players today, how should we stat this?

I have one idea for a superhero… his power is adaptation. He can learn physical motions (wrestling moves, fighting styles, etc) by watching them be performed and he can learn though patterns (which may eventually include some powers) by listening, learning, etc (maybe by brain delving ;)

Probably would start out just being really smart, catching on to things quickly and being really athletic (out of nowhere… like Peter Parker suddenly doing backflips and being in great shape)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »
Pretty simply. One power called "Learned Tricks" with Attacks, Defends, and Useful and Variable as an Extra on all of them with a collective Limitation that he has seen the trick done before.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
Pretty simply. One power called "Learned Tricks" with Attacks, Defends, and Useful and Variable as an Extra on all of them with a collective Limitation that he has seen the trick done before.

Sweet! That was my plan as well I must be learning the system after all!

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »
So what's the deal with miracles with the self capacity and the flaw self only? Seems like it's redundant...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 05:49:27 PM »
So what's the deal with miracles with the self capacity and the flaw self only? Seems like it's redundant...

self only flaw can only be applied on useful powers

useful powers can only select the following power capacities: Either Mass, Range or Speed, your choice.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Defends is automatically Self so you can't take "Self Only".

As for Attacks... why would you do that?

Could be a hell of a one off though.

Brain Bomb
2 HD
Attacks
-Self Only
-Area x2
-Engulf
-One Use

"Stop villain, or we're both going to regret this!"

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »
Defends is automatically Self so you can't take "Self Only".

As for Attacks... why would you do that?

Could be a hell of a one off though.

Brain Bomb
2 HD
Attacks
-Self Only
-Area x2
-Engulf
-One Use

"Stop villain, or we're both going to regret this!"

HA! (That looks like it's only 1 point per die now so...lets get 5hd to make sure he goes out with a bang.)

So The Dead Ringer Power has Variable effect, and then a flaw to If/Then Variable Effect is only for picking different appearances.

Is this necessary? It seems like the ability to change your appearance is strictly a Useful ability. I suppose an argument could be made that you need it to have more than one alternate appearance but from reading Variable Effect it seems like the intended use is to be able to mimic other powers or effects by changing the dice to something else...

I guess i'm still a little green....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:25:18 PM by Flawless P »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 11:17:54 AM »
Useful is supposed to be a single specific ability.

I assumed Dead Ringer was designed to emulate ALL aspects of the subject, appearance, sound, mannerisms, all the little things.

Useful is a broad field and it largely falls to the GM's judgement. If you think it should be a general Useful effect in your games, just do it. It probably isn't going to alter game balance significantly.

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
So, I carried out my threat and made a thing!
Richard Chen - "Dinoguy"
Archetype: Leader of the Pack
250 point character

Source: Paranormal (5) (Free)
Permissions: Power Theme (Pack of Velociraptors) (5)
Intrinsics: N/A
5 points spent on Archetype

Will:
Base Will: 5
Willpower: 5
Loyalties:
-Velociraptor Pack 1
-Arcadia University 1
Passion: Knowledge 3

Stats:
Body 3
-Athletics 3 (6d)
-Brawl 2 (5d)
-Endurance 2 (5d)

Coordination 2
-Drive 1 (3d)
-Dodge 3 (5d)
-Stealth 3 (5d)

Sense 4
-Perception 2 (6d)
-Scrutiny 4 (8d)

Mind 5
-Biology 4 (9d)
-History 2 (7d)
-Paleontology 4 (9d)
-Research 4 (9d)
-First Aid 2 (5d)
-Language: Chinese 1 (6d)

Charm 2

Command 3
-Stability 3 (6d)
-Pack Alpha 4 (Hyperskill) (7d)

Other
-Wealth 1 (+1d)

95 points spent on Stats, 86 points spent on Skills

Powers:
Leader of the Pack 6hd (Miracle - Minions)
Qualities: U
1 points/die, 12 points total

Useful (Velociraptors)
Capacities: Range - 32 yards
Extras: Permanent +4; Subtle +1
Flaws: Delayed Effect -2; If/Then (Current# of dice of raptors only) -1; If/Then (Smart puppy-level intelligence) -1; Reduced Capacity (Range) -1; Slow -2
SUDDENLY, VELOCIRAPTORS - EVERYWHERE VELOCIRAPTORS

Big Freakin' Claws 6d (Miracle - Harm)
Qualities: AA
2 points/die, 12 points total
Attacks (Big Freakin' Claws)
Capacities: Mass - 160 lbs.
Extras: Attacks +2; Penetration +1; Go First +1
Flaws: Attached (Leader of the Pack) -2; Horrifying -1; If/Then (Limited to current pack size) -1; Reduced Capacity (Mass) -1
Even on an animal the size of an excited turkey, that killing claw is a hell of a thing.

Attacks (Tiny Dino Pileup)
Capacities: Mass - 160 lbs.
Extras: Attacks +2; Spray +1; Go First +1
Flaws: Attached (Leader of the Pack) -2; Limited Damage (Shock) -1; Limited to Pack Size -1; Reduced Capacity (Mass) -1;
What dinosaurs lack in innate ability to inflict nonlethal damage, they more than make up for in enthusiasm to give hugs.

Little Bitty Carnivores 4hd (Miracle - Size Shift)
Qualities: DU
2 point/die, 16 points total
Defends (Scaly Predators)
Capacities: Self
Extras: Permanent +4
Flaws: Attached (Like Birds With Teeth) -2; Always On -1; Armored Defense -2
The raptors are small and hard to hurt, with a thick scaly hide.

Useful (Like Birds With Teeth)
Capacities: Self (Mass)
Extras: Permanent +4
Flaws: Self Only -3; Attached (Leader of the Pack) -2
Some of the most dangerous predators to ever walk the earth - it's just they're 3 feet tall and only weigh about 20 pounds each.

Killer Instincts 8d (Hyperskills - Skilled Raptors)
Qualities: UUU
3 points/die, 24 points total
Useful (Agile Critters)
Capacities: None (Athletics Hyperskill)
Flaws: Attached (Leader of the Pack) -2
Useful (Stealth Hunter)
Capacities: None (Stealth Hyperskill)
Useful (Keen Senses)
Capacities: None (Perception Hyperskill)

What do you guys think? Feel free to steal this dude for your game, if you'd like.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:05:56 AM by SageNytell »

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »
I'm not gonna lie, I hardly understand any of this.

So far I have gotten around to making some really basic stuff so this attached and hyperskills and minion stuff is all making me confused.

I get the concept though, and it rocks.

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 11:37:09 PM »
Mechanics of Velociraptors - Or, A Game of Hide and Seek With Doyouthinkhesaurus Rex
So Mr. Chen here is an experiment into one of my favorite kind of characters - the player character who actually isn't the business end of things. At heart he is a general support character, sort of a dashing, less-good-in-a-fight Indiana Jones with a bit more biology and a bit less gunplay and whips. The main meat of the character is the ability to summon up velociraptors from thin air.

Richard Chen only actually has the use of two abilities - Leader of the Pack, which is a miracle summoning or replacing raptors, and a hyperskill called Pack Alpha. Minions, as listed in the book, gives you your number of dice in a minion pool to do stuff with. Since we're using hard dice, we get 'expert minions', but even that isn't quite what I was going for with this, so we're modifying the hell out of it with the remaining powers. Essentially, when this power is activated, the delayed effect goes off and takes a couple of rounds, and then suddenly six velociraptors appear seemingly out of nowhere. The subtle extra means they simply appear and can't be detected until already there, reduced range means they have to appear relatively close to Chen. Minions as written are capable of acting on their own recognizance, however we've flawed their intellect to puppy-level and taken a Command hyperskill in Pack Alpha to be able to control our chirping, feathered death machines. Finally, the weird if/then flaw about number of dice. This power gives Chen six velociraptors, and no more. They are always the same velociraptors - if one is killed, the next time the power is activated they will appear alive once again. If the power is used again while the raptors are still present, any killed or incapacitated raptors reappear, up to the normal limit. Slow means that if he is taking regular losses he can't just have a steady stream of reinforcements, and the delayed effect again means that dismissing the raptors takes time.
Here's where the 'attached' flaw comes in. Anything attached to Leader of the Pack means that it can only be used by or affects  the velociraptors, not Chen himself.
We want our raptors to fight like raptors, not like goons, so we gave them Big Freakin' Claws, which is pretty gruesome to watch, and since I like the idea of adorable chirping turkey-sized dinosaurs disabling someone by trying to give hugs, we also gave them Tiny Dino Pileup. Both have an if/then flaw limiting their dice pools to the current number of raptors only - if we only have two left standing, this power only rolls two dice.
Itty Bitty Little Carnivores defends our buddies with LAR 4 and a small size, allowing them do get into places larger creatures couldn't. Minions normally drop one die per 1 killing damage or 3 shock, so this extends the staying power of our fine feathered friends.
Finally, expert minions normally get special rules for certain skills based on their numbers. I didn't want to mess around with that, so I flat-out gave them three hyperskills to work with - the raptors roll their own pool of 8 dice for Athletics, Stealth, and Perception, and these are not simply based on remaining raptors, but work with any number.
Also, so we're clear, they look like this with these colors for their feathers. The stealth hyperskill would represent either a duller undercoat of feathers or some limited chameleon-like ability.

I love this system!

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 03:46:32 PM »
I see...

I only had to read that twice to understand it! Woo hoo.... lol

So if you had wanted to make that Harm miracle as a hyperstat instead how do you add extras and all that too it...

It took me a while to come up with an example of what I am trying to ask but essentially

Arm Mace (2/die) 7d (14)
Power Qualities and [Capacities]: Attack[Mass]
Attacks Extra's and Flaws: Reduced Capacities -1, Limited Damage(Shock) -1, Penetration +2
Description: Your forearm becomes a blunt instrument capable of dealing shock damage to an enemy.

What I want to know is if you wanted to use this as a melee weapon hyper skill (instead of a flat dice miracle) how do you stat that?

Happy to say your power examples have given me a more insight into how to build a power with less than obvious extra's and flaws.

Thanks for the example, I'd love read any other characters you have lying around.