Author Topic: Getting old episodes on an iPhone  (Read 5041 times)

King Joey

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Getting old episodes on an iPhone
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:51:01 AM »
Hello all,

I've just discovered this site's AP podcast, and as my other favorite AP podcast is not making episodes as fast as I'm listening to them, I'm really in need of a new source.

The problem is, I cannot figure out how to get the older episodes on my iPhone because the &*$#@^* thing will only load podcasts from iTunes, and iTunes doesn't carry any episodes before Halloween 2010.  Is there a way to download the old episodes from y'all's site, have iTunes convert/import/whatever them, and then put them on my iPhone?  I don't need step by step instructions (hopefully I can figure it out eventually), I just want to know if it's possible at all before I spend a bunch of time trying to figure it out.  If you do have pointers, though, they would be appreciated.

I am fully aware that, despite some unimpressive feats of computer tinkery, I am quite capable for being completely ignorant about such things (especially when it comes to my nemesis, "all things Apple"!).  So if this is a dumb question, feel free to berate me accordingly.  But since even dumb questions need answer, please try to include an answer in the berating if possible.

Thanks, and this looks like an incredible setup you've got here.  Look forward to hearing y'all!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Getting old episodes on an iPhone
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:08:07 AM »
If you can sync your iphone with your computer, you could download older episodes manually from the site and then transfer them in itunes to the iphone like you would with music you download.

King Joey

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:13:39 AM »
Ah, well that gets to the crux of my hatred of Apple products.  Every mp3 player I've owned before this iPhone I could simply plug into my computer's USB port and click and drag any files I wanted back and forth, just like any windows directory.  With the iPhone, though, I have not yet been able to figure out how to do it directly without using the accursed iTunes.

I did manage to get one episode to copy directly to my phone, but it came through as a song and I can't move it to my podcasts.  I can't think of a reason why this should be a problem (since songs and podcasts are basically interchangeable on the phone), so maybe I've found my answer!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »
Download from website, drag into iTunes, right click on file in iTunes > Get Info > Options, Set Media Kind to Podcast.

I think it then goes off the album or something for the podcast title ,and will show as a different podcast then the normal one, but it will be seen as a podcast now.