Author Topic: How do you envision RPPR stories while listening to them?  (Read 18609 times)

DustinKoski

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
How do you envision RPPR stories while listening to them?
« on: February 24, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
I imagine this varies significantly depending the time the story is set in and such, but if it was a visual experience, what does it tend to look like to you? For example, I just listened to the Bryson Springs one, and I envisioned it having a sort of widescreen, somewhat desaturated look kind of like No Country for Old Men where I'm sort of seeing the characters mostly in wide shots. Like if it was a movie, I imagine the producers would shoot it like that because it requires a distinct ambiance and the producers would want to take advantage of that. But with Candle Cove, it's more like a handheld video production because the setting is so much more mundane. But sometimes it kind of feels like it would be some sort of fps game

I guess this probably doesn't really happen for a lot of people because they break character so often or riff on their game that silly things happen. When that happens, it's just like The Princess Bride or The Fall with me where we cut back to these guys sitting around a table chatting and then we just cut back to the story already in progress when they get back into character. When there's a dice roll things just kind of freeze.     
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:02:39 PM by DustinKoski »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: How do you envision RPPR stories while listening to them?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »
Mine is more like The Gamers. Most of the time I'm imagining the players themselves because it's hard not to after you've actually met a fair number of them. When their characters do something really cool I usually get a mental image of the event but quickly return to the player.

Generally it's simply pleasing noise, I seldom sit still and listen to RPPR, I'm usually traveling from one place to another or doing another activity (like playing Minecraft or Skyrim).

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »
I usually listen as backround noise to dome other activity, but in my head its much more like the holodeck on star trek, but with some gamers moments mixed in.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

DustinKoski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:57:56 PM »
it's hard not to after you've actually met a fair number of them.

Note to self: don't meet any of the RPPR players in person.

FuzzyDan

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 12:29:07 AM »
it's hard not to after you've actually met a fair number of them.

Note to self: don't meet any of the RPPR players in person.

Sounds like a road trip!
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 03:35:54 PM »
I've envisioned, the eclipse phase: Know Evil in two ways while listening, usually like mass effect, and then when Prescott is doing his thing (eg. the talk down to the bimbo actress on that show) like a scifi anime. It is very entertaining.
Liquid Water?

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »
Even while at the gaming table, I picture Ross as the Inquisitor from Venture Brothers: "IGNORE ME!"
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 05:15:27 PM »
I've envisioned, the eclipse phase: Know Evil in two ways while listening, usually like mass effect, and then when Prescott is doing his thing (eg. the talk down to the bimbo actress on that show) like a scifi anime. It is very entertaining.

I would pay big money to see an Eclipse Phase anime

unitomega

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:44:23 AM »

I would pay big money to see an Eclipse Phase anime

As would we all, Ross. As would we all.

crawlkill

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • helo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:50 PM »
I think I've seen pictures or video of errbody but Thad and RJ at this point, and it's a weird blending of how I used to think of them before I'd seen photos, how I know they look now and a primitive filmreel of the action. not a very visual person, tend to think more in abstractions of RPPR settings than in mental setpieces. Thad and RJ are both totally glamorous in my head, Thad because he fills me with happy and RJ 'cause he's a sassy gay and I feel better about myself assuming random internet queers are pretty.

on the topic of the value of knowing real faces, I think it's totally worthwhile. I find that I like Aaron a lot more having seen his "Send Aaron to GenCon!" Kickstarter video. when all you've got is a stuttering goodytwoshoes planruining voice on the internet, it's easy to dislike somebody, but once you've actually gotten a look at them, some of those ape empathy instincts kick in. which is a good thing. it's always better not to be annoyed at internet voices.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 10:26:58 PM »
I find that I like Aaron a lot more having seen his "Send Aaron to GenCon!" Kickstarter video. when all you've got is a stuttering goodytwoshoes planruining voice on the internet, it's easy to dislike somebody, but once you've actually gotten a look at them, some of those ape empathy instincts kick in. which is a good thing. it's always better not to be annoyed at internet voices.

I find I like Aaron more when I'm not trapped in an apartment with him for a week because of a once-in-one-hundred-years ice storm (that Springfield got nailed with again the year after we left).
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 10:45:02 PM »
I think I've seen pictures or video of errbody but Thad and RJ at this point, and it's a weird blending of how I used to think of them before I'd seen photos, how I know they look now and a primitive filmreel of the action. not a very visual person, tend to think more in abstractions of RPPR settings than in mental setpieces. Thad and RJ are both totally glamorous in my head, Thad because he fills me with happy and RJ 'cause he's a sassy gay and I feel better about myself assuming random internet queers are pretty.

You'll be happy to know that RJ is indeed a beautiful man. Now excuse me while I go slink into my hole and feel creepy.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

BeyondSandrock

• Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 01:46:50 PM »
I find I like Aaron more when I'm not trapped in an apartment with him for a week because of a once-in-one-hundred-years ice storm (that Springfield got nailed with again the year after we left).

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 02:12:40 PM »
In response, just consider me the janitor on Scrubs.

BeyondSandrock

• Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »
In response, just consider me the janitor on Scrubs.

Sorry, Tom already has claimed that title. You can be The Todd.
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"