Author Topic: Research Paper Ideas  (Read 8906 times)

TimyJ

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Research Paper Ideas
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
I'm a senior in highschool and its coming up on that magical time of year where research papers are getting started. My teacher said to do something that I am passionate about so here I am. Anyone got any ideas on a topic related to gaming?

Oh, and hi! I'm new here, but have been listening to the show since episode 35.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Research Paper Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »
The effects social gaming has on individuals as oppossed to individual gaming, if your looking for a soft science. You could also research game theory if you want hard numbers and evidence.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »
If you include video gaming, the use of video games in education could be a pretty interesting topic.  There are a ton of references on this (i.e. scientific studies), of course that's where my mind jumps after writing papers at the university level (which may be more involved than you need to).  I wrote a paper on this topic and it was pretty easy and interesting.  Found some surprising results too...

TimyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks to both of you for the ideas. Though I was looking for something a little bit more tabletop gaming oriented I liked the idea of how it can be used in the classroom. Remember reading something like that on popgun chaos too. As far as soft or hard science I'm leaning more soft at the moment.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »
Alright.  What kind of research are you supposed to do?  Depending on that, there would probably be more or less feasible topics, and I would love to keep thinking about it...

TimyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »
As far as what kind of research is required its pretty much just anything we can find that we can verify is credible.  So no blogs or wikis, but anything else is open.  Topics are open to just about anything.  One kid is doing the development of Skyrim if that tells you anything.  Its limited to 5 pages at least 10 sources.  He wants concise writing not long writing.  So it has to be pretty fact packed. If you want to keep thinking about it be my guest.  God knows I can use the help from the creative front.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »
Some of my colleagues are doing impressive work in game theory and narrative theory, particularly in how game design limits character growth and development. The counter to this is the number of ways that players win games by playing them "wrong." For instance, playing a war game but not killing anyone.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
Here's a thought.  From my experience, RPGs at their finest boil down to collective storytelling/problem solving.  It would be cool to look into this and it's application (much like you said) to the school learning experience.  The one problem you might have with this is I don't think there is necessarily specific information on it.  But on the flip-side, if you pull it off, it would be incredibly impressive.  Essentially what I'm kind of curious about (namely because I am preparing for a career in teaching high school science) is the possibility of something RPG-esque in say, a physics classroom.  I can imagine an activity where the instructor introduces a situation and the students explain how they want to address it, doing the proper physics to discover if it's feasible or not.  Then you have the back and forth of they have this solution and the teacher introduces tweaks to the situation (much like combat) and the students react and make changes.  The research would likely revolve around the academic benefits and effectiveness of RPGs (or similar social activities).  You would also likely need to do some research on timing to see whether or not it is actually feasible to run something like this (i.e. how much physics or whatever could be taught in this manner, because, unfortunately, schools are on a time budget).  In short, I guess your topic could be: using concepts and structure of tabletop RPGs to teach school lessons.  Because even if you can't just straight drop a DnD encounter into the classroom, there is definitely a unique relationship between GM and players that actually is quite similar to how a classroom could be run.

The more I think about this, the cooler this idea seems (to me at least :P).  Let me know if you would like to chat some more, especially because I could see myself trying some of this in a few years...

TimyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 10:05:30 AM »
Hey Mckma.  Just wanted to let you know that I'm going to run with that idea.  English teacher is being a bit of a bear about it though.  So the major trial in this actually becoming a paper will be whether i can find 5 hardcopy sources on the subject.  Other than that though the idea is an amazing one.  And yeah I'd love to chat a bit about it.  Even if its just stealing your ideas  ;)  Oh, and sorry for this taking so long.  I just moved out and I don't have net at my place yet.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »
Hey Mckma.  Just wanted to let you know that I'm going to run with that idea.  English teacher is being a bit of a bear about it though.  So the major trial in this actually becoming a paper will be whether i can find 5 hardcopy sources on the subject. 

That's why Google Scholar was invented: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%22role+playing+games%22+AND+%22collective+storytelling%22&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=1%2C50&as_sdtp=on
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 11:54:09 AM »
Hey Mckma.  Just wanted to let you know that I'm going to run with that idea.  English teacher is being a bit of a bear about it though.  So the major trial in this actually becoming a paper will be whether i can find 5 hardcopy sources on the subject. 

That's why Google Scholar was invented: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%22role+playing+games%22+AND+%22collective+storytelling%22&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=1%2C50&as_sdtp=on

Yes if "hardcopy" includes research papers, I think you would be totally good to go.  There are all kinds of sociological studies that you could tie into your topic...

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »

Yes if "hardcopy" includes research papers, I think you would be totally good to go.  There are all kinds of sociological studies that you could tie into your topic...

Hardcopy should include any scholarly journal that is normally bound even if you could only access the electronic copy. Before someone says, "but you have to pay for a lot of these," I suggest finding which local library subscribes to the most databases and doing your searches there.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 12:44:01 PM »
Hardcopy should include any scholarly journal that is normally bound even if you could only access the electronic copy. Before someone says, "but you have to pay for a lot of these," I suggest finding which local library subscribes to the most databases and doing your searches there.

True 'dat...