Author Topic: Whirlwind RPG Tour for Noobs  (Read 6254 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Whirlwind RPG Tour for Noobs
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:21:03 PM »
Just had this idea for something fun I would like to do next quarter with some friends (as I might actually have time with 4 day weekends every week :D).  Basically I want to run my friends through some of the "quintessential" RPG systems/games.  This would be for a group of pals that haven't played before, and I was wondering what systems/scenarios people think would be good to include.  I figured I would do a standard dungeon crawl in DnD, but didn't really have much for sure beyond that.  Anyway, I'm trying to go more "classic/quintessential," and not so much "stereotypical," if that makes sense...

Thoughts?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Whirlwind RPG Tour for Noobs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:46:31 AM »
Call of Cthulhu
World of Darkness - preferably Vampire or Hunter
Shadowrun

A sci fi game - either Traveller or Battlemech or a new game like Eclipse Phase or Ashen Stars - make it pure sci fi - (no shadowrun)
One indie darling like Dogs in the Vineyard, Fiasco, or Don't Rest Your Head
A superhero RPG
a military themed RPG with brutal combat - Twilight 2000, Godlike or Warhammer 40k - just to show them how fragile PCs can be
A game with crazy cinematic combat - Exalted or Feng Shui or Wushu
A diceless RPG like Amber or Dread

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:49:57 AM »
What do they like? If they're part of the Kung-Fu film club than start with some kung-fu games.

Something funny, ParanoiaXP gets my immediate vote though "It Came From The Late Late Late Show" or similar can also be fun.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »
Looking for something to tie together a scenario I'm thinking about running...

It will be for whatever modern horror game I decide to run for this.  I am fairly certain of a few elements I want to include, but am not sure about what in the "mythos" as it were I can use to tie it all together.  I want the action to largely revolve around a large, suburban housing development (likely almost complete, and almost completely empty), and something with number stations.  I know it's a bit of an odd approach (as I would usually start with the "mythos" idea and flesh it out), but any thoughts on what the strange and bizarre "cause" could be?

I realize I haven't said much here (and that it might actually be way more similar than I can remember to Ross's Slenderman game), so if you would like to offer suggestions/ask questions, I'd appreciate it...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
Look at creepy pasta and/or the SCP entries for inspiration

failing that: Carcosa.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:27:20 PM »
This is your setting: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32255580/ns/business-real_estate/t/fla-highrise-has-stories-just-tenant/

I'll dig through SCP for a good one to put in it later.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 02:09:41 AM »
Dunno if you're still looking, but one of the games that has character generation as a mini-game (Traveller, Cyberpunk etc) might be a fun thing, or look for some of the "lifepath" options online.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:46:01 AM »
Dunno if you're still looking, but one of the games that has character generation as a mini-game (Traveller, Cyberpunk etc) might be a fun thing, or look for some of the "lifepath" options online.

Thanks, I am still looking.  It's been on hold because I've got a TON of papers to write in the next week and a half or so (which for a physics major is hard to really start on), but I will definitely be looking at all of this in two weeks or so...