Author Topic: Episode 72: World of Darkness  (Read 13506 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Episode 72: World of Darkness
« on: April 07, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »
As a major player of New World of Darkness I wanted to just open up a thread for myself and others to nit pick the RPPR guys on their latest episode.

There isn't actually much to call you guys out on. nWoD is largely up to the perspective of the individual since it doesn't explain a lot of the details. You guys where off a lot on some of the specific rules; not like it really matters.

Just as an aside, if Jason and some of the other RPPR guys really want to play in a New World of Darkness game and there's nobody in real life to run one I would be happy to run a short Skype campaign.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 72: World of Darkness
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 04:58:57 PM »

Just as an aside, if Jason and some of the other RPPR guys really want to play in a New World of Darkness game and there's nobody in real life to run one I would be happy to run a short Skype campaign.

I would love to do that, but I'm sure my wife won't let me. I don't have any of the books, but I have an idea for an Akashic Brother who is an underground street fighter by profession.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »
Speaking of Mages I do like how Ross managed to sum up Mage: The Awakening. For somebody who hasn't played the game and hasn't read the whole book he got the theme there really well.

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:15 PM »
I am not sure Mage is the best WoD game to start new players in. Vamp is good if you want a lot of rp. Changeling is not hard to pick up (if you don't get into Pledges right away).

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 03:39:49 AM »
Unfortunately, there's no way to ease someone into Mage. You either play it or you don't. All the magic systems in nWoD are fairly different from one another so learning now to play a Vampire doesn't really get you ready for playing a Mage or a Werewolf. People just have to sit down the the Mage book and get a good idea of the Arcana and the spells available to them and learn through trial and error.

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 09:23:49 AM »
I don't disagree with that, but having a good grasp of the basic game might make understanding mage easier.

EndersLegend

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »
I'm only being able to listen to it in pieces at the moment.  So far, the only thing I noticed was that their facts on Werewolf the Forsaken were off as far as the backstory goes.  It's forgivable for anyone who has barely read it though.  I've heard worse synopsis for World of Darkness games.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 06:00:50 PM »
uploading a nWoD game I ran Friday. 5 hours long. Shit got REAL. :D

BenignSpy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »
uploading a nWoD game I ran Friday. 5 hours long. Shit got REAL. :D

SO REAL! (Not to hype it or anything.....)
Who Dares, Wins

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 06:39:11 AM »
As a major player of New World of Darkness I wanted to just open up a thread for myself and others to nit pick the RPPR guys on their latest episode.

There isn't actually much to call you guys out on. nWoD is largely up to the perspective of the individual since it doesn't explain a lot of the details. You guys where off a lot on some of the specific rules; not like it really matters.

Tad! I'll skype campaign with you! But it's been a while...
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Z

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 12:42:30 AM »
nWoD is silly but my character could flip cars and that was cool

Capitalocracy

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »
I played Vampire back in the day (either right before the new stuff came out or it came out and we just didn't buy it, I don't remember) when I was in high school. Good memories. We were actually rather underpowered compared to the world around us... we were really just total scrubs, pothead vampires getting mixed up in stuff that was way over their heads. I played a pyromaniac Malkavian with a katana and an uzi. I am not joking. I didn't hit a lot with that uzi in my left hand. It was not really all angsty and goth, it was actually more like a vampiric version of Boondock Saints. It's supposed to be like this huge deal in the game if you actually kill other vampires, but we did it all the time... they kept trying to kill us! And then they kept sending more vampires to kill us for having killed other vampires, so we just kept it up. I think at one point we drank vampire blood because someone was going to kill us if we didn't or something, so we were in trouble for that, too. It was ridiculous, but we always managed to escape, leaving a trail of fire and destruction in our wake.

And the Craft skill saved my life.

Undertaker01235

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:42:37 AM »
I really enjoyed the podcast. I liked how you guys went though the history of the game and all of the different books, I actually picked up some of the books now and will be running a one shot for my group soon. Could you guys do more episodes on specific systems?
Currently writing:Boxing/MMA RPG and Cops/Robbers with a morality system if interested message me for my draft.

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" ...unless it dismembers, breaks, blinds, or paralysed you.

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 03:58:37 PM »
What WoD book did you guys use for the Candle Cove game?
Liquid Water?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 05:14:59 PM »
What WoD book did you guys use for the Candle Cove game?

just the base book and my own opium fever dreams