Author Topic: H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival (Portland)  (Read 6927 times)

Great Scott!

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival (Portland)
« on: May 11, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone is going to the film festival in Portland this weekend.
I've never been to any of these festivals before so I was wondering what to expect and I was curious about just how amazing it would be!
I can't think of anything worth putting here, so I decided not to have anything of consequence.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival (Portland)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone is going to the film festival in Portland this weekend.
I've never been to any of these festivals before so I was wondering what to expect and I was curious about just how amazing it would be!

I got excited when I saw Portland, but then I realized it was OR and not ME. I love Portland, ME. However, since I'm stuck in Milwaukee, I really can't go to the festival no matter what Portland it is in.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Great Scott!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:31:24 PM »
Well I'm sorry to get your hopes up.
How is Portland Maine by the way? I've never been and have always wondered how it would relate to Portland OR.
Portland OR is a pretty strange city to be honest. I mean, there is a sign saying "keep Portland weird" and Portlandia has done wonders for promoting the nationalism of the population making it even stranger.
I can't think of anything worth putting here, so I decided not to have anything of consequence.

Great Scott!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 01:36:42 PM »
Well I went and it was amazing! I finally got my hands on the Delta Green source book for only $40 and I even met Adam Scott Glancy and had him sign the book for me. There were a lot of really cool shorts, and the short that won first place actually came from my university so that was pretty exciting.

On a different note, I think I was by far the youngest person there. Everybody seemed middle to late aged. I would have thought that more younger people were into Lovecraft. Has anybody else found this same phenomenon?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »
I'd say Cthulhu fans range in age pretty far but this is a small film festival with a niche audience. Aside from locals, the only people able and willing to go would be older since they would be more likely to have the money and time. Younger people are in school this time.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »
Young people probably have better taste.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Great Scott!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 07:16:13 PM »
Haha, maybe most younger people do have better taste.

But yes Ross, you do make a good point. It is a small niche audience, although it was on a Sunday that I went and it wasn't that expensive. But, I'm glad to hear that it is in fact popular with younger audiences as well.