Author Topic: Kickstarter as an episode topic?  (Read 5657 times)

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Kickstarter as an episode topic?
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:55:08 PM »
I was wondering Ross if you'd consider doing a discussion on Kickstarter?  You've had several and Caleb has succeeded.  Stuff like monetizing your time, collaborating with artists and the like?  May have Ean or Violet on? If their willing? Maybe Stolze or Glancy as they've run numerous kickstaters?
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Kickstarter as an episode topic?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »
That's a good idea.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:27:28 PM »
Beyond that, kickstarter in general (and the other ones) I'd like to see talk about the various things that are happening with the game world. If it's a boom/bust thing or the new way of everyone who isn't WotC to do things. Also talk about some of the things that have done well or poorly. As well as a few of the odder/cooler things (don't have the link but someone reached nearly a hundred grand selling hardwood dice.)

Otherwise, on rpg.net somewhere there is a compilation of data about crowdsourcing, just numbers and such but I'd like to see that talked about too.

(Also, I'll add my two bits, that crowdsourcing is creating an enormous golden age for gaming.)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 12:07:06 AM »
Can you dig up the link on the rpg.net thread about crowdsourcing?

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:48:36 AM »
Here it is:
http://www.geekindustrialcomplex.com/articles/crowdfunding-report-part-1

Apparently RPG fans are good for about $45 on average.

Also here is the dice thing because it's cool. Somehow it involves 50,000 year old wood (I think that's in the $500+ bit though.)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1929694110/artisan-dice

EDIT:
Thinking more about this, things I'd like to hear more musings about would be things like the "Will GM a game for you" reward tier, difference between ransom and not-ransom, the "professional publisher" version, ie, the DG novel that had a $25,000 goal and was structured much more like a business/middleman. Also the gonzo type of rewards, "I'll fly to your town, cook you dinner and run a game" "you get to be on our board of directors" and so on.

As an example, Caleb has I believe sold out the game seat reward at $100 but no one dropped the $1,000 for Dennis Detwiller to run some of his game or the $3,500 for the whole thing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:48:01 AM by Journ-O-LST-3 »