Author Topic: DayZ  (Read 27618 times)

Alexander

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
DayZ
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
I recently started playing this game after seeing it repeatedly referenced on gaming sites.  The article that finally did it for me was recently published on pcgamer.com : http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/27/day-z-photo-diary/

Anyone up for starting a DayZ group?  Let's try and survive the end of the world together.

I've gone through piles and piles of zombies in the Left 4 Dead series and Killing Floor.  With DayZ, it's a little bit different.  There is still a fair share of zombies to shoot through the head, but that hasn't been the hook for me.  Crawling through the brush, surveying a farmhouse, counting the number of zombies nearby and carefully navigating around them to reach the sweet can of beans I need to live.  Seeing another survivor, ducking behind cover, and playing the dangerous game of judging them as friend or foe.  Moving through an open field, hearing the loud screech of a zombie that spotted me, and then running in a full spring to avoid getting killed by my stupid mistake.  These are some of the things I've had to go through after a couple of hours of playing the game.

Ross has mentioned it before in Zombies of the World, but DayZ gives the concept center stage: People are the real threat in a zombie apocalypse.  The zombies suck, but they're manageable.  The other survivors are the worst.  They can be valuable allies, if they want to, but there are also the lying survive-at-all-costs folks that roam the barren fields.  One of the reasons players are dangerous, is that other players drop the best gear.  A zombie might drop a Coke to quench your thirst, if you're lucky.  A player on the other hand can drop his awesome sniper rifle, GPS, flashlight, and other neat toys.  I watched an exchange where one player told the world he carrying a GPS.  He then greeted another player in front of him, commented on how friendly the player was, and then screamed as he was gunned down like a dog.  The other player looted the GPS from the dead player, and quietly left the area.

The game is still in the alpha stage, so there are still plenty of bugs that need to be fixed.  Zombies can punch through walls, zombies only spawn near buildings, the zombies seem to run and teleport towards their prey.  Even with that, the game still holds its own.

Here's a quick actual play video from youtube:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

I'm usually not a fan of people running around and screaming, but it gives an idea what a game session can be like.

Let's try and get an RPPR DayZ hunting group together!

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: DayZ
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:24:22 AM »
That article was pretty sweet.
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »
I would be all over this, if I owned ARMA II: CO.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »
Arma 2 CO is like fifteen bucks. I bought it just for Day Z.

Totally amazing. Survivor 4 lyfe
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »
Arma 2 CO is like fifteen bucks. I bought it just for Day Z.

Totally amazing. Survivor 4 lyfe

The Amazon version doesn't work on Steam.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 01:03:50 PM »
So?

Day Z isn't a steam specific mod.

For group coordination I can see why you'd want it to be on steam, but you could just use the steam chat client thing while playing. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Its 30$ on steam vs 15$. Just sayin'.
I wish I was Tom.

Alexander

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 11:13:46 PM »
I finally came around to reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road.  If anyone wants some inspiration for a setting based in a dark post-apocalyptic wasteland, give this book a read.  That, and the book is a story of Day Z, without the zombies.

I put the game down for a bit after a long session ended with my assassination by a hidden bandit.  Two days of gathering supplies and weapons, put to a quick and bitter end by my impatience with crawling through the grass.  I was near one of the biggest hubs for players to search for supplies, at night, and I heard gunshots from the buildings every couple of minutes.  I tried to keep away from the shots and travel north from the city to avoid the other survivors.  After I reached a hill, slightly north of the city, I took a chance and began running into the woods.  Not more than ten steps, the sounds of silenced shots whizzed by and I was incapacitated with a shot to my leg.  I did a quick sweep of my surroundings to try and find the shooter, but it was too dark and there were too many bushes for me to find his location.  I dropped to the ground in a prone position and tried to roll out of the kill zone, but that didn't help either.  My screen faded to black, then to a bloody red hand print that informed me I died a horrible death.

This game is fun if you like the survival aspect of games.  There's no boss, no quests, no storyline other than you have to survive.  If you're playing in a heavily populated server, supplies are scarce but survivors are abundant.  Some of them are willing to form quick alliances, and others will watch you and kill you to get your gear.  Yeah, there are zombies.  They shuffle around and chase you if you get spotted, but the survivors are the real threat.

Moral of the story: Read The Road and let's get a RPPR survivor group going!

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 05:57:15 PM »
yes. I support This movement.

What server(s) do you usually play on? I like Chicago 1 or any of the veteran Chicago servers.

EDIT: We need an Identifying phrase, so we know who we are. I come up with new characters each time I die and give them differnt names and backstories.

This could work as a cipher:
Are there any zombie dogs down there?
No, I punched them all.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:19:15 AM by Shallazar »
I wish I was Tom.

Snake-Eyes

• View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 12:12:24 AM »
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

Darksaw

• I'm a wizard, and that looks fucked up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 08:37:45 PM »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 10:51:30 PM »
fuck - got tired of waiting for the steam summer sale so i bought arma 2

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »
yes. I support This movement.

What server(s) do you usually play on? I like Chicago 1 or any of the veteran Chicago servers.

EDIT: We need an Identifying phrase, so we know who we are. I come up with new characters each time I die and give them differnt names and backstories.

This could work as a cipher:
Are there any zombie dogs down there?
No, I punched them all.

How about "Would you like to go to the zoo?"

"Yes but only if I can stay outside."

Little nod to an AP.

I want to play this game.

Need to buy an external HDD and wipe my pc first though.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »

we need to start a bike gang and by bike i mean bicycle

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »
fuck - got tired of waiting for the steam summer sale so i bought arma 2

I'm still waiting... :P

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 02:58:45 AM »
ugh. I installed Day Z and got it working. I've played for a while but so far this mod is really disappointing. Not starting with a weapon is annoying but whatever. What is intolerable is this:

1. Spawn at a beach somewhere. Night time. Near total darkness.

2. Wander for approximately 0-2 minutes.

3. Encounter zombies without any way of fighting or fleeing them.

4. Die.

5. Repeat.

I don't mind a difficult game, but so far this is beyond that. It's just near instant death. If you encounter a zombie before you get a chance to loot something, you're fucked. It's scary and atmospheric the first time, but not the tenth time.