Author Topic: DayZ  (Read 27619 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: DayZ
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »
British man trying to work out this game. I'm a TotalBiscuit fan, I was surprised to see he'd talked about this game. I don't know if my computer can read my mind but I opened this thread, then opened youtube and this was the top "random" video. I think I've been made.

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »
he started with a pistol? WTF? I never started with a gun.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 01:17:07 PM »

He said he found it when he logged on, a guy was AFK and he looted him.

Yeah it sounds like the whole gun thing (i.e. not having one) is a potentially temporary thing that is intended to get players to band together...

Seeing the explanation for it in that respect makes me still interested in giving it a shot...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »

He said he found it when he logged on, a guy was AFK and he looted him.

Yeah it sounds like the whole gun thing (i.e. not having one) is a potentially temporary thing that is intended to get players to band together...

Seeing the explanation for it in that respect makes me still interested in giving it a shot...

yeah but because you are helpless without a weapon and it's fucking hard to shake even one zombie chasing you, if you can't find a gun before zombies spawn on you, you might as well restart.

We should at least start with a melee weapon so we can take down one or two zombies.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Might I recommend this.

http://dayzmod.com/su.php

Its a launcher so you don't have to manual search for a server. and most servers if you extend it out have what time zone there in. so pick on that is day time. ive been having a blast playing this game. I logged out last night with an m4 and when i logged back in (same area) some survivor killed me. haha I recommend not logging out in an area with stuff. Ive been having a blast playing this game with a buddie. if anyone needs a buddie to play just ask me on steam.

Steam id scottec1425, In game name Boyos.

Also, axe one pumps zombies, great weapon and quite. Bit it uses your main hand slot so you cant have a rifle out at the same time. Rifle great for pvp.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:48:20 PM by Boyos »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »
Not to repeat the party line but this is an Alpha. Dying on the beach without a gun because one zombie always kills you is the kind of thing they are trying to work out while keeping the sense of danger they want to invoke. As the developer says in the video, one of the things they really want to push is that other humans are going to be the biggest problem.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 04:52:29 PM »
well finally lasted more than 5 minutes - started in daytime, found a medic tent and got some ammo, a hatchet and healing supplies. No gun though.

How are we supposed to start a group though? Is there some way to start off in the same area? I don't mind starting over in a group but finding other players manually must be a nightmare.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 05:15:30 PM »
It is. From what they say in the interview that's intentional. Players have to literally advertise in game to get human level intellects to pay attention. Since the zombie AIs don't understand patterns or images players have to use silent (because they can hear) attractions. It also sounds like those features aren't in the game yet (alpha) but they seem to want to eventually allow players to build simple things in the game.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »
I find night time to be the best time to loot buildings. The zombie's cant see as far at night so walking around upright is less of a danger.
Start looting gas stations and then move closer to town. The apartment building has tons of good stuff.

One strategy is to walk around in the wilderness looking for tents. Zombies tend to congregate near towns. Also, finding polaris or googlin' Chenarus and whatnot.

I typically never group up with people because I don't trust them. But if I stumble upon you things might be different. My current character's name is Bevis. But I change characters ever time I die anyhow.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 02:41:44 AM »
The way to survive DayZ is to -

• Crouch-run, Crawl or Sneak EVERYWHERE. Run through the woods only when you have weapons and can happily defend yourself.
  • If you are seen, RUN. Preferably up a hill where you are reduced to walking speed, Zombies walking speed is much slower than a players so you gain more distance and the Zombie will lose interest.
  • Play with friends over a VOIP (Teamspeak, mumble, etc).
  • Go to DayZ Wiki and pull up their map, Use this to find out where you are and try to join up with said VOIP friends.
  • TRUST ONLY THE PEOPLE YOU KNOW. You said it yourself, the survivors are more dangerous than a Zombie ever will be.
  • If you're on your own, break your leg and you don't have morphine, you will die.
  • The most accessible hospital for blood bags, morphine, epi pens and bandages is on the very north section of Chernogorsk. It is also the most popular, be very wary of other survivors. To the west of there are three apartment buildings, they should be the best chance you have of getting some good basic equipment.

Good Luck Ross Payton, Gods be with you.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:55:02 PM by Wooberman »

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 03:44:39 PM »
Me and my friend that are playing have the map pulled up, mine on my phone, he plays window mode. When you first spawn in, or log in. Bottom right will tell you were you are. If you first start and your in wilderness, just start a new guy tell it gives you a city, then try to meet up in the middle. Threw the woods has little to no zombies.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »
A more common experience for first time players right here. Things get started around 3:20. 4:25 it gets great.

ftmfwb

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »
That was hilarious.  The part towards the end when he's walking out of the building and the runner comes is top notch.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »