Author Topic: Roll20: Online Tabletop  (Read 5642 times)

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Roll20: Online Tabletop
« on: June 05, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Roll20 is an web-based virtual tabletop with webcam support and online libraries for tokens, maps and music/sound effects.

Some of you might remember the Kickstarter for Roll20, which was extremely successful.

Now, it has gone into open beta. Just register an account and you can try it out yourselves.

http://roll20.net/

It looks really neat, I'm thinking of running a one-shot on it to test it out myself.

Twibbit

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: Roll20: Online Tabletop
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »
Currently attempting to build a oneshot in Roll 20 actually. Needs more scifi tilesets sadly, but you can always upload

Addled GM

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »
They changed their site to integrate a marketplace...apparently they want to make some money DLC Style.  Some of the things look cool like the 8-bit characters.

I've been playing around with the interface a bit, and it seems a lot better than tabletop forge right now. It isn't quite at the level of maptools yet, but it is promising.

The only thing I cannot figure out is why there is a music player.  It seems kinda distracting.

Addled GM

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:53:25 PM »
Ran a game of WUSHU via Roll20 and Google+ hangout. All my players enjoyed it.  I planned on running a game of Marvel Heroic Roleplay, but I had a person that had never played an RPG before so I decided that rules light was the way to go. 

The players all found the mapping to be great as did I.  You can make a good looking map in about 3 minutes.  The best feature about the mapmaking is that you can pull images from the net into the game as tokens, maps, and portraits on the fly. 

The players were roughly 100 miles apart, which isn't that bad and there was virtually no lag.  If you do not have a group there are tons of players on a very active forum.  The only downside to this is that I have found there to be very few DMs.  The DM to player ratio is something like 100 to 1.  I'm hoping that more GMs and DMs and Moderators and Judges and Storytellers show up soon.  I'm going to be running quite a few games on it and I'll post invites here.     

Overall, I would have to say that this is a great way to game and I endorse it.  It is still not as fun as sitting around the table with your friends, but if that is an impossibility this is a great way to game as well. 

Also 100 postsssss!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:57:21 PM by Addled GM »