Author Topic: The Shadows of Eseren  (Read 15751 times)

Pyrite

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
The Shadows of Eseren
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:44:01 AM »
Last year I was engaged proofreading a localization of a French RPG called Les Ombres d'Esteren. It looks like it's finally ready for English release now, and I thought I'd share some details about it with you guys.

http://www.esteren.org/shadows_of_esteren/

I was actually pleasantly surprised at the production values of the final product. The art turned out to be really decent.

The Shadows of Esteren is a gritty fantasy horror RPG set between three major factions of civilization, each with their own way of warping reality, either the Demorthèn with their cultish magic, the Magientists with their science and factories that basically drain life from the land, or the dogmatic faith of the Temple. The cities are far from each other, and many of the roads infrequently traveled, largely because of unnatural creatures called Feondas who lurk in the wilderness.

To a degree, the Feondas can be fought with sword and bow and magic and faith, and it's very easy to die a hero when the mass up and maraud cities. Many of them however are far less straightforward, with more mysterious ways of overcoming human strength or senses.

Each of the three kingdoms on the peninsula of Tri-Kazel blames the others for the existence of the Feondas, and for a number of conspiracies and mysterious going's on besides. They're all about half right, too.

The biggest difficulty I can see in it is trying to justify the menagerie of character types that most play groups seem to want to put together in the face of how little the factions trust each other, but there's enough variation of roles within each of the factions to allow a faction specific party.

I thought it was an interesting take on the normal fantasy concepts, and overall an effective setting of fear and uncertainty that allowed for a decent horror game in the fantasy genre. Because of this, I thought it might be of interest to the RPPR crew in particular.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:48:32 AM by Pyrite »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: The Shadows of Eseren
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:16:49 AM »
Interests me.

What are your main sources of inspiration?
Mel Gibson's Braveheart, with its ruggedness and romanticism, gives a good idea of the daily life in Tri-Kazel's peninsula. Tim Burton's universe, especially Sleepy Hollow's, as well as the movie Dark City, have inspired us regarding the technological aspect of the game.
Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Princess Mononoke represent two major manga inspirations. For other aspects, Berserk, by Kentaro Miura, and the Final Fantasy saga are important sources of inspiration for our game. As for literature, Lovecraft and Masterton are the major references, as are Anne Radcliffe, Bram Stoker, and Mary Shelley's Gothic novels.
Regarding role-playing, Shadows of Esteren would be somewhere between Warhammer, Ravenloft, and Call Of Cthulhu.

This right here sounds like something I want to check out.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
I'll have to check this out for Gencon.

Nelyhann

• View Profile
    • Esteren Website
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 08:27:47 AM »
Hello everyone!

Pyrite, thanks you very much for your kind support. You have helped us a lot as a proofreader, thank you again!
Tadanori and Clockworkjoe, thanks for your interest, it will be a pleasure to meet you at Gen Con. I have the great chance to come this year! We will present Esteren and do sign session on Studio 2 Publishing booth.

By the way, i am author and illustrator as well as the coordinator of the Shadows of Esteren series in France but i reassure you, i a m NOT the translator of the game... :p Please forgive my horrible mistakes.

Here are some artworks :

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Nel

“There are mysteries which men can only guess at, which age by age they may solve only in part.”
― Bram Stoker

Shadows of Esteren - A Horrific and Gothic Medieval RPG

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
Well that's pretty cool. One of the reasons that I'm particularly interested is that I haven't heard of any RPGs crossing over into America from Europe. The only one I know of personally that's transitioned from a French game is "In Nomine", which was quite a polarizing game.

I imagine that a game written by French authors taking inspriation from England will have a different flavor than a similar one written by Americans. Crossing cultures by comparing works on similar themes helps give gamers a broader world perspective which in turn should lead to a richer roleplaying experience.

Any idea when the signing session is going to be?

Nelyhann

• View Profile
    • Esteren Website
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:38:28 PM »
More recently, Qin is also a French game, you can find more here.
But you are right, if RPGs crossing over into Europe from America is quite common, the opposite is rather rare.
The particularity of Esteren is that we made everything ourselves, including the translation. But we were helped by a dozen of English speakers proofreaders without whom nothing would have been possible. It was really an amazing experience. You can find more information about the history of the project on this open letter.

Personally speaking, I am a fan of Ravenloft, I played years with ADD2. It is just like that that I discovered the RPG back in the 90' and that I became a tabletop RPG lover. It is a very special moment to see our work being introduced on the country where come from tabletop RPG. I really hope you will enjoy our interpretation of this classical kind of setting  :)

The signing session is going to last during four days. I will be there with the translator of the book and the French editor. We will also bring some home made goodies for this occasion.
“There are mysteries which men can only guess at, which age by age they may solve only in part.”
― Bram Stoker

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 02:27:43 PM »
That sounds pretty cool, meeting an RPG author from another country will be a treat.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »
Thanks for showing up! It's great to hear from a RPG developer. Do you think someone from your company could run a game of Eseren for the RPPR AP podcast at Gencon?

Nelyhann

• View Profile
    • Esteren Website
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »
Thank a lot for the proposal!
It would be a pleasure but i can't do it myself, i am afraid my english is too poor...
However, i will ask our proofreaders, i think some of them will go to Gen Con, maybe they can do that ?

By the way, i am very happy to announce you that our Kickstarter campaign is now alive :
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1176616619/shadows-of-esteren

Thanks for checking out!
― Bram Stoker

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
Cool. That is a nice looking book. I don't know if you are familiar with "The Witcher" game series or the novels it is based on, but I've been wanting to run a table top game based off of them for a long time and haven't quite found the right game system to do it in. Would Shadows of Esteren be a good potential system for that kind of game?

booga

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
Thanks for showing up! It's great to hear from a RPG developer. Do you think someone from your company could run a game of Eseren for the RPPR AP podcast at Gencon?

Hi there,

I'm one of Shadows of Esteren proofreaders, and will be attending Gencon (my first one !). I'm definitely up for GMing a short (2-3 hours) SoE session for one of your podcasts. I have however a bunch of games already scheduled, so we'll need to find a timeframe.  Here are the openings I currently have:

-- Thursday  all morning until 1pm and 5pm-8pm
-- Friday, Saturday  8am-10am and  6pm-8pm
-- Sunday after 4pm

Hopefully we'll find a way to make it work :) PM me if you want to work details out.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:35:20 PM by booga »

Pyrite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 02:16:10 AM »
Cool. That is a nice looking book. I don't know if you are familiar with "The Witcher" game series or the novels it is based on, but I've been wanting to run a table top game based off of them for a long time and haven't quite found the right game system to do it in. Would Shadows of Esteren be a good potential system for that kind of game?

It would take some modification of the magic system, as I don't believe things like teleportation are possible, but a lot of the setting elements definitely fit. I never got a proper look at the rules for Feondas (not in the half of the book I proofread) but the general concept of them could definitely be adapted to things like the Striga.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »
Teleportation wouldn't be a problem, those things exist in the Witcher but they more often function as plot devices; players don't get access to "high magic".

What I'm most focused on would be the lethality; how gritty the combat and damage systems feel. There are two systems I've considered using: the World of Darkness and Song of Ice and Fire. World of Darkness has a very generalized system of damage. Song of Ice and Fire has an abstracted system where details about the kind of damage can easily be filled in. What I'm curious about with Shadows is, if my character is hurt, do I feel where and does it feel like I'm hurt?

Pyrite

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
Teleportation wouldn't be a problem, those things exist in the Witcher but they more often function as plot devices; players don't get access to "high magic".

What I'm most focused on would be the lethality; how gritty the combat and damage systems feel. There are two systems I've considered using: the World of Darkness and Song of Ice and Fire. World of Darkness has a very generalized system of damage. Song of Ice and Fire has an abstracted system where details about the kind of damage can easily be filled in. What I'm curious about with Shadows is, if my character is hurt, do I feel where and does it feel like I'm hurt?

Combat is rather deadly, with a condition track for damage taken and successive penalties. The rules don't incorporate hit locations, but that does keep things smoother and less complicated. You get 19 spots on the condition track before incapacitation, and damage is the difference between the attacker's skill roll and the defenders skill roll, plus damage bonus from the weapon, minus armor.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »
Interesting. Is the system geometic? As you take damage you get larger penalties proportional to the damage you've taken?

As an aside, how "wahoo!" is the combat design? Does it make room for the possibility of Princess Bride-esk duels or is it a more feet on the ground style?