Author Topic: The Shadows of Eseren  (Read 15765 times)

booga

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: The Shadows of Eseren
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 12:58:46 PM »
What I'm most focused on would be the lethality; how gritty the combat and damage systems feel. There are two systems I've considered using: the World of Darkness and Song of Ice and Fire. World of Darkness has a very generalized system of damage. Song of Ice and Fire has an abstracted system where details about the kind of damage can easily be filled in. What I'm curious about with Shadows is, if my character is hurt, do I feel where and does it feel like I'm hurt?

The combat system was designed to be fast and deadly, but I wouldn't call it gritty.

Here's the rundown (terms may slightly vary from here to rulebook, I'm translating on the fly):

1. Determine order of action (based on Quickness stat (=Combativeness+Empathy) +1d10). The "Quick" combat attitude can be chosen before rolling the d10 , to affect the Quickness.
2. From lowest to highest Initiative, each opponent declares a combat Attitude for the round : Standard/Offense/Defense/Move. That choice will alter the three main combat attributes for the round: Attack/Defense/Quickness. These numbers are already calculate on the character sheet, and differ only by a Variable called Combat Potential.
3. From highest Initiative to Lowest Initiative, opponents proceed with their maneuvers. When attacking, only the attacker rolls (adding his Attack for that round based on the Attitude), then success is determined by comparing to the opponent's Defense (also based on his attitude this round). Damage is based on a success margin plus a set number for the weapon (I believe some advantages could modify this as well), minus the defender's protection (fixed number provided by armor and shield). It's pretty quick because there's only one roll per attack.

There are also typical modifiers for conditions (attack form the back, etc...). Damage is added to the Health chart and move the character from Good health to Dying (5 stages total, each of them adds a modifier to any roll performed by the character : geometric progression indeed). There is no hit location system, however it would be easy to add by any gm.

There is also the ability to learn "Combat Arts", which improve some combat aspects : Devious Attack, Two Weapons Attack, Parry, Archer, Cavalry.

In my experience, combat was very deadly, even when fighting animals such as wolves (not even Feondas). I think this reflects well the game's aspect of man vs nature and how vulnerable characters should feel when facing this hostile world.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »
Excellent, that sounds pretty good.

Nelyhann

• View Profile
    • Esteren Website
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »
Thanks Tadanori!

I signal you the existence of a very complete thread on RPG.net about Esteren.
One of the participants introduces our work very well! He is Kyadark.

For exemple :

(English is not my native language, sorry for the weird sentences...)

Shadows of Esteren never claimed to re-invent anything, it just take several concept, atmospheres or gameplay options that alreadu exists and intricate them rather smoothly to make a rather coherent and very well designed game.

En résumé, I'd describe three axis which make SoE a different game :
- The harshness of the daily environnement
- The complexity of the clash between cultures
- How fantasy and horror are dealt with

I can't help but comparing it to Westeros in the first book of ASOIAF (before magic comes to make a mess). I haven't seen the new Pixar movie yet, but Brave appears to illustrate a lot of the atmosphere of the Tri-Kazel environnements.

It's a classic medieval setting, kinda projecting what would have the british isle become if christianity didn't get up here.
Tri-Kazel possess a feudal society where a lot of celtic culture has remained. Most villages evolved from ancient clans and kept their social structure. In some place mens keep wearing kilts, the battle axe is still the weapon of the village chiefs (while sword is more a weapon for feudal lords and knights)
People worship the spirits of nature and the Demorthèn (druids) try to keep the balance between humans and nature, bards (not like in D&D where the bard is only some music player) plays the role of teachers or diplomates and use the arts to get a different point of view of the world.
Dolmens and erected stones belong to the landmark and the whole land is full of a history not perfectly remebered.

The nature is very harsh on the inhabitants of Tri-Kazel. The peninsula is surrounded by furious seas, and most of it's land is covered by huge mountains that cross the peninsula in it's length. So most of the people have no choice but to live in a mountainous environnement, where winters can be so cold that villages can be cut off the rest of the world for months. Flat land exists, but is either covered by thick and dark forests, or dangerously exposed to the winds.

So, basically SoE presents a rather common setting, but when you look closely you can see how it's swarming with little details that send shivers down your spine when you read about it and picture this setting in your mind.

One of the main theme of Shadows of Esteren is the clash of cultures.
About two hundred years before the recommended date of setting for the game, people from the mysterious continent came to Tri-Kazel and brough with them two different thing :
- The Temple brought Faith in a one true god, spreading very fast since the purest believers are granted miracles much more impressive than what the mysterious arts of the Demorthèn can give. Bringing down menhirs to building churches and monasteries (no, the monks in here don't know kung-fu), it looks like the christian religion coming a bit late, but still as determined as ever. The feudal lords don't like them very much but they are very popular with some peasants.
One of the main inspirations for SoE is the Name of the Rose, you get quickly why when you read the chapters about the Temple.
- The Magientist brought an anachronic science, with strange devices using a fuel, the Flux, extracted from rocks or living beings. They can do extraordinary things, the first magientists came in a flying engine, their medicine can cure almost any diseases... It's rather steampunk, the point of this faction is that everyone can become a magientist if he has the capabilities, it's a way to raise socially thanks to your mind rather than your strengh or your blood.
But the costs are huge, the machines use tons of Flux and the liquid needs a lot of natural ressources to be collected, and the by-products of it's extraction causes pollution.

These two + the traditionnal society of Tri-Kazel can hardly live together on the peninsula. It even turned to a war between the three kingdom as the Temple tried to whipe out the magientists. Now there's peace but the war left behind a lot of orphans and ruins are still present in numbers near the borders. The point of playing after such an event is that the tensions are still strong, but the situation can change in still many ways 'cause no one really wants the horrors of the war to return and none of the three factions really has an advantage over the two others.

The factions are well described, the Temple isn't just a bunch of religious maniacs trying to destroy everything that doesn't believe in their one god for example, it's a faith base on purity and respect in front of the creation, believers are hard workers and help each other a lot, the clergy gives an opportunity to get a new start in life.
On the other hand Demorthèn are not just peacefull nature-lovers who meditate to help the life of their fellow citizens, they have a rather strict look upon life (abandonning weak newborns to the spirits of the forest is an old tradition), don't like their autority to be discussed, and jealously protect their secrets.

And in the middle of this, everyone tries to get the best of the opportunities that are given to them. The implications are rather coherent, with the various political applications of every faction on different levels and the troubles it causes. Villagers, knights, messengers, bards, dukes and kings...
Travels are also an important part of the setting, and discovering the variety of situation (you can't find two identical valleys) and the powers at play is a recurring plot-point in most adventures.
It's more complex than it first appears, but everything is logic and you can easily imagine new situations that make perfect sense.

Fantasy and magic have a somehow subtle presence in this universe.
Some chosen priests can unleash ice storms to freeze the ennemies of the Temple, Demorthèn can aquire strange capacities by communiating with the spirits, some magientists study esoterism and even witchcraft...
But it's still a rather discreet part of the setting, the most obvious supernatural forces despicted in the book are the feondas.
Feondas is a generic term (meaning "Ennemy" in the old tongue) to describe a wide range of creatures, sometimes humanoid, sometimes just monstruous; animal, vegetal and even mineral beings that all have in common a furious and unexplained agressivity towards human beings. Coming from the dark corners of the misty valleys and dark forests, they are present everywhere and have no organisation whatsoever. Omnipresent in folklore and legends, you can spend an entire life without seeing a single one, but sometimes they gather together and perform deadly raids upon the villages, towns and even capitals.

Unknown and capable to appear in a great variety of appearances, feondas are one of the main sources of horror in the game. But actually most horror come from the humans themselves.
In Shadows of Esteren, you play really fragiles characters. Not weak, usually they do a god job to perform most actions, just that they don't have a lot of "life points" and even small wounds can harm their capabilities greatly. The combats are deadly and usually comes to an end in a matter of three turns, there are numerous ways of dying and even the character's minds are vulnerable.
Shadows of Esteren offers a really interesting mental health system and you quickly see that psychology is an important part of the game. Not as extreme as the CoC system, it is meant to give a slow progression into madness, specific to each player.

After this description that was much longer than I expected it to be when I began to write this post, I'd like to finish on a few thing that might not mean a lot to other people, but that personally when straight to my heart when I discovered this setting.
First of all, the book is stunning you can all see that easily, but the writing is stunning too. The description of the setting is just like a folder of letters, notes, book extracts and other texts written by very different characters from everywhere across Tri-Kazel, gathered together.
It's dynamic, easy to read, and give several biased description that only makes sense when you put them together.

I don't know how it would look in english, but in french the texts are really excellents, there's a whole double-page describing the Tri-Kazelian cuisine, that can seem like a rather boring/useless topic but it's written so well, like a fable of some witty bard, that makes it absolutely captivating.

Plus the book swarms with small ideas, not enough to make a different setting on their own, but that together helps to make Shadow of Esteren a really unique universe.
For example, centuries ago a new people appeared on the peninsula, called the Tarish. Very mysterious, they claim to have reached the peninsula with a huge boat that no one has ever been able to find, but they don't say a word about the place they came from. Now several of their caravans roam across Tri-Kazel and they behave pretty much like bohemians, performing shows and original arts when they get into a new town, but stays shadowy and mysterious everytime they travels.
Horses are usefull to travel the few real roads the peninsula gets, but in the mountain the best way to travel is on the back of a caernid, a deer-like domestic creature, very agile, like the mount of the hero in Princess Mononoke.
One of the rare large flat area that is not covered by trees is the giant beach that surround the biggest forest of the peninsula. Since you can't grow anything on sand, there are not a lot of villages there, but it's in the middle of one of the main commerce road between south and east. So the main way to travel along this beach is with a sand yacht.

You can find it here : http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?635016-Shadows-of-Esteren

Hope it can be helpful,

Regards,
Nel

“There are mysteries which men can only guess at, which age by age they may solve only in part.”
― Bram Stoker

Shadows of Esteren - A Horrific and Gothic Medieval RPG

booga

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 05:11:58 PM »
It seems that the Shadow of Esteren Kickstarter now has only 7 days left. So if you haven't checked it out yet, I'd recommend to do that soon. It'll definitely be worth your time :)

Kickstarter link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1176616619/shadows-of-esteren

Since there has already been a few strech goals and each pledge is getting cool bonus materials, you can find a nice and clear summary of what bang you'll get for your bucks:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1176616619/shadows-of-esteren/posts/271599

One of the most popular pledges is the Hilderin Knight, for which you can find a full summary here : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1176616619/shadows-of-esteren/posts/270861
(The GM screen and game soundtrack are well worth the extra dollars IMHO).

Nelyhann

• View Profile
    • Esteren Website
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »
Hi everyone!

I can not resist the pleasure of sharing it with you ...

This is an illustration for a new NPC for the Shadows of Esteren, commissioned by one of our generous patron of the Kickstarter campaign that will be included in an upcoming release..

By the way, thanks for your support during our KS campaign!
We hope you will like our books,

Regards,
Nel
“There are mysteries which men can only guess at, which age by age they may solve only in part.”
― Bram Stoker

Shadows of Esteren - A Horrific and Gothic Medieval RPG

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »
holy shit that is awesome :O

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 03:59:49 PM »
Reminds me of the Black Raven tribe from the New World campaign.

Great job!