Author Topic: CoC 7th Edition  (Read 5220 times)

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
CoC 7th Edition
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Unspeakable talks about the 7th edition. Sounds like some interesting changes to the rules.

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/?p=1024
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: CoC 7th Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »
I'm apprehensive. Significant changes are being made to the rules; most important to me many of the skills have been renamed. Trading out Fast Talk for Charm and Intimidation doesn't feel like a win to me because alot of what I like about Call of Cthulhu is the feel of the setting, the skill names actually help with that. Of course, that's just a language pack, I can put that back in place if I want as long as the new system works.

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:31:31 PM »
Looks good to me. I am kind of disappointed they didn't move to the blackjack system but the other changes make me happy. I also hope there was a good bit of skill consolidation that we didn't hear about.

metalwhisper

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 02:54:51 PM »
I guess I'm kind of concerned about the changes as well. Don't get me wrong, nothing against updating rules and CoC is far from perfect. At the same time, for me at least, the Call of Cthulhu rules have a sort of charm to them, even though there are obvious flaws to the system. Just hope it feels like the same game. At the very least I hope the changes aren't so sweeping as to make all of the previous CoC material obsolete. All I ask for is backward compatibility to some extent. It also raises the question how well it could integrate into the BRP rules. It's my favorite universal system so far.
On a minor note, I kind of hope for the monster illustrations in the bestiary section they go back to just showing the silhouettes of the monsters they had in previous editions, if anyone remembers those, rather than the way the have them fully illustrated in 6th. Leaves a lot more to the imagination (Of course, I really like how they did creature art for Malleus Monstorum as well.)
Just thoughts.

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:05:15 PM »
They did say they wanted it to be backwards comparable in the seminar. Though likely a five minute conversion would be needed.