Author Topic: Good RPG to run for complete gamer newbies? Please Help.  (Read 16250 times)

Kemlin Dragos

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Good RPG to run for complete gamer newbies? Please Help.
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:24:18 AM »
In a few months, at our annual guys getaway weekend, I have a chance to run a game for my two best friends. One of them has only played in three sessions of 4E D&D (that I ran), and the other has never played any Pen and Paper RPG. The one that has played D&D loved it, but the one that hasn't has no interest at all in playing D&D, but I have been able to talk him into playing another type of game.

So I am turning to you, RPPR Crew and Listeners. I am looking for a suggestion for a fun, easy to learn game that will hook my two best friends. I'm up for running anything.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
Re: Good RPG to run for complete gamer newbies? Please Help.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:17:48 AM »
Something using the FATE system (Legends of Anglerre for example) would not only be easy to run, but very easy to learn; the primary mechanics are very straightforward and simple to grasp.

If you want to stick to d20 systems, Mutants and Masterminds (Superheroes, huzzah!) is, once you get past CharGen (which is a bit of a bear), pretty straightforward in terms of play.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
If they like horror at all, Call of Cthulhu is dead simple, and the starter rules are available for free download on the Chaosium site. It comes with a starter adventure, The Haunting, which is a simple little investigation into a haunted house.

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
I wouldn't recommend D&D 4th ed as a starting RPG at all, there are way too many combat rules, and even veteran gamers get lost in between so many powers.

I agree with Call of Cthulhu, it is very easy to pick-up and understand. The problem is that it requires an experienced GM since horror and investigation games are harder to run.

Savage Worlds could also be an alternative if you're looking for a game more oriented towards action rather than horror.

dlouismartin

• View Profile
    • Storyteller Discussion Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
I would say that it depends on the people you are running the game for. Sounds like they are your good friends. That being said, I would sit down and ask them what they think would be cool. They may surprise you. 

-Dean
When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.
-Thomas Paine

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »
You people like CoC way too much.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »
All Flesh Must Be Eaten is pretty easy to run as long as the GM understands the rules - it's also dead simple to run a "make yourself as a PC and then try to survive the zombie apocalypse" kind of game

Wushu and Risus are the easiest games out there and fun.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 03:15:42 PM »
Ah man, can't believe I forgot Wushu. Clockworkjoe is totally right, it's very easy.

Discomonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 06:41:30 PM »
Old School Hack is also a good choice. Rules are really simple, both for creating characters and coming up with the game on the fly when it inevitably goes flying off the rails.

Kemlin Dragos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 09:49:57 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have the CoC 6th Edition book, and had thought seriously about running "The Haunting" for them, but I really like writing my own scenarios.

I took your advice and asked them, and they both said they thought a Superheroes game could be fun. They are both college educated guys with a pretty deep videogame and comic background, and one is a professional actor, so RP comes naturally to him. So, if I did go that route, which system would you say is the best for beginners, Wild Talents, Godlike, or Mutants and Masterminds?

Once again, thanks for all the great suggestions. I had never even heard of FATE, so I'm going to research it tonight.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:26:27 PM »
I'm not familiar with Wild Talents or Godlike, so I can't answer that.

Mutants and Masterminds is pretty simple if you're already familiar with the d20 system; I know you said one of your players knew D&D 4.0, and Char-Gen aside, D&D is much harder to play than M&M2e.

The one issue with M&M2e is that it's character creation involves a good deal of math and planning, and for new players, that could very well prove overwhelming.  It does come with a lot of pre-made character archetypes already written up in the book (and you can easily find some online), which your players could of course repurpose for their own needs.

Combat and damage are pretty simple; if you want to hit someone with a targeted attack, you roll your attack bonus for that attack, and compare the number to their defense; if you roll higher, you hit, if you roll lower, you miss.

Area attacks always 'hit' - but they allow reflex saves for half (or no) damage. Perception ranged attacks always hit no matter what, so be real judicious about allowing these.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 10:26:46 PM »
I would say Wild Talents and Mutants and Masterminds are roughly the same in terms of learning it from scratch - WT is more frontloaded than M&M but both systems are fairly complex.

The best way to introduce totally new players is to give them pregens or make their characters for them - i.e. they tell you what they want and then you build them and explain it to them. Way easier than trying to get totally new people to generate powers.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:12:58 PM »
I would say Wild Talents and Mutants and Masterminds are roughly the same in terms of learning it from scratch - WT is more frontloaded than M&M but both systems are fairly complex.

The best way to introduce totally new players is to give them pregens or make their characters for them - i.e. they tell you what they want and then you build them and explain it to them. Way easier than trying to get totally new people to generate powers.

I definitely agree with this; let them use their pregens or build/help them build their own stuff for a bit, if/when they get comfortable with stuff, then let them go all out and make whatever they want.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »
For a one/two-shot just hand out pre-gens seems like the easiest way. Too bad Better Angels isn't out yet.

Or not enough?

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »

What do you mean, 'you people'?  ;D