Author Topic: Good RPG to run for complete gamer newbies? Please Help.  (Read 16248 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Good RPG to run for complete gamer newbies? Please Help.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »
You people like CoC way too much.

What do you mean, 'you people'?  ;D

He means the posthumans that inhabit this board. Don't worry. Just fork yourself into another body.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

JuddX

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • I love dem pencil and paper roleplaying games!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 04:51:19 PM »
Dread. If they have ever played Jenga, then they have already mastered 90% of the game.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 10:58:16 PM »
Monsters and Other Childish things has a pretty low barrier and serves as a good intro to ORE.
And Wushu is good for getting people to learn roleplaying as a skill, more descriptive, creative.

My go to is CoC, super simple core mechanic and most people that I rope into roleplaying understand horror tropes and some are fans of HPL. Very few in my circle like super heroes or wizards and fairy bullshit. I might try Cthulhu dark for a more beer and pretzels game though.

But the choice between ORE and D20 for noobs, gosh I'd choose neither and just abstract to Wushu for an intro to the hobby. And then if they're committed explore the other systems.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

malkavianmadman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
Well I have found the FFG 40k games to be rather easy and I personally love the rogue trader character gen chat. But im a 40k Fan boy.

Kemlin Dragos

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 12:15:36 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions! I think I have decided on Call of Cthulhu, I was going to try Wild Talents, but since this will be a one shot, the character creation seemed a little too much.

I've even got the beginnings of an idea for a story. It will be based on the now defunct Heritage USA theme park in Fort Mill, SC. I've been multiple times and is seriously one of the creepiest places on earth, I'm working through all the plot hooks and character relationships now, and I will post more once I have a definitive outline done.

Here's a link to the Wiki page for it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_USA

Klivian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 12:16:34 AM »
I've used the PDQ system (core behind Ninja Burger) and Spirit of the Century (sans feats which I found a bit too fiddly) to teach RPG noobs.  I used pregens for both and tried to keep the rules explanation as short as possible and then set up the scenario to ease them into more and more advanced rules (aka skill checks before straight up combat).

My general tips:
  • Make pregens
  • Dumb down the system a bit if necessary.  Keep things simple and streamlined
  • Make rules summary handout

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 12:07:39 AM »

What do YOU mean: you people?

Had to go there XD
Liquid Water?

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 11:05:13 AM »

What do YOU mean: you people?

Had to go there XD

Thank you, I've been waiting a month and a half for someone to acknowledge that joke.  ;D

Call of Cthulhu, divorced from the overt Lovecraftian themes, is a terrific way to introduce people to the hobby. You're in a horror movie - what do you do? Get the adrenaline pumping, get people involved, they'll dig it. Just roll these two little dice, I've colorcoded them for tens and ones already, roll under this number and you succeed, roll above bad things will happen. Freaky shit happens? People die? You get to go crazy and backstab your buddies to survive or for kicks.
My players have dug it. I ran it for some family who like the Ancient Astronauts theories on the history channel, and ran them through an Indiana Jones-esque Mayan tomb with great success. Aliens and mummies they got, they didn't need to know they let Yig out to have fun.