Author Topic: Star Trek?  (Read 4335 times)

dlouismartin

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
    • Storyteller Discussion Blog
Star Trek?
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:05:03 AM »
Anyone out there run or play in any Trek games? Does anyone know of any Trek systems out there besides LUG, Decipher, and FASA? I understand Fantasy Flight has a deal with Paramount now. Any plans for them to come up with something? Any system converters out there for Trek? I have been messing with an ORE version.
When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.
-Thomas Paine

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »
Forgive me for what is about to be a long winded post.

I am currently running a Star Trek DS9 era game using Mutants and Masterminds as the base system. Power Level 8 limits with a varying degree of PP between different crew memebers.

The system definately proved to be the best for my group. One new roleplayer and 3 3.5 players.

Now as far as story content goes I only have one big piece of advice and that is:
Techno Babble is king in Star Trek.

If someone wants to reroute the plasma flow path regulators ignition induction coil to the backflow manifold. You should let them. It might be a good idea to give them an indication of what that "modification" could do if the skill rolls fail.

I also use the Skill Challenge rule from 4th edition Dnd and I use it often, if you are not familar it is where you have to get X successes before getting Y failures.

I also try not to get into Starship battles very often. Also, since a lot of the story telling in Star Trek is character focused I would keep a list of NPC names/races on hand since star ships have crews of 100's of people. Making sure that some crew men have compelling personalities helps... Also, remember that the Doctor and Chief Engineer are the two positions that may do the most twiddling of their thumbs depending on the story content.

If you have any other specific questions feel free to post them but otherwise I am going to be sitting going on and on.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »
From what I have heard, Rogue Trader lets you do that sort of thing very well, though it would probably be better for mocking up the Mirror Universe as the 40K universe sort of runs on general evil shit. Very good starship battle system, from what I've read.

dlouismartin

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
    • Storyteller Discussion Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »
Thanks for the tips gents. I haven't done M&M in like 20 years (old bastard alert), but that is the 2nd suggestion for RT that I have come across.
When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.
-Thomas Paine