Author Topic: Fortunes of War - the RPPR Iron Heroes campaign  (Read 72557 times)

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
  • I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Fortunes of War - the RPPR Iron Heroes campaign
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »
Sorry about the wrong dice thing. Where do my two dice go that I started with. Is that unattached to any market?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »
Sorry about the wrong dice thing. Where do my two dice go that I started with. Is that unattached to any market?

Do you mean the 2 points in company qualities you started with?

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »
Yeah, I meant the 2 points in qualities I started out with. Do those never get invested in a market?

Do I have dead weight in my portfolio?!

Jason

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 09:30:01 PM »
So how many raises to our qualities do we get?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »
NEW ASSET AVAILABLE

You all know you must travel through the desert in the next leg of your journey. You can buy the following asset before the next adventure begins:

Desert Supplies:

Bonus: Each unit of desert supplies (extra rations, desert clothing, camels, water etc) allows you to act without penalty in the desert. If you do not spend at least one unit of desert supplies, your company will lose qualities from the journey. You also need one unit of supplies to conduct business as normal. You may get additional units to attempt company actions or go on special missions in the desert.

So to summarize, if you don't buy at least 2 units, your company will suffer.

Each unit of supplies costs 1 raise. You may buy as many units as you wish - there is no cap, nor do they count against your cap on assets.

Market shares for Vo (Caleb) in adventure 2

Vice
Demand: 20 raises.
NPC Competition: 18 raises among 5 NPC companies and Vo.  Any newcomer will be attacked by criminals. Any defeated NPC company will be replaced after 1 adventure.

Requirements: Influence 1, Might 1, Treasury 1. Territory 1 in the underground kingdom. (Territory 2 will be necessary in the desert) Sovereignty helpful to keep followers from skimming profits.

Note: Any company that gets more than 3 raises per adventure will be punished by army officers. If the demand goes above 20, all vice businesses are punished.  This punishment can be avoided or stopped with a successful side mission or asset usage.

List of NPC competitors

1. Red Tails gang
2. Black Knives gang
3. Sister Yan's cohorts
4. Demon-eaters gang
5. The Unspoken

Results: Vo did nothing to change the market and neither did the competitors. Vo gains 3 raises from Vice.

Crow Amulets (NEW MARKET)

Demand: 5 raises

Competition: 2 NPC companies and Vo.

Requirements: None for this adventure but it will require territory 1 in the desert, and then will raise further as the army moves further west.

List of NPC competitors:

1. The Quartermaster
2. ???

Results: Vo did nothing different but 2 new competitors entered the market. The Quartermaster and Vo each get 2 raises and the third competitor gets 1.

Military Equipment:

Requirement: All qualities must be at least 1.

Demand: 10 raises plus 2 from Vo's actions = 12 demand

NPC competition: 8 raises among 2 NPC companies.

Note: The army will only give raises equal to the average quality of a company unless there is an appropriate asset (contact in army officer, blood relative to an officer etc)

Special order: The army will have 1d20 worth of raises per adventure for special orders but this amount is kept secret. The selection process is secret as well.

List of NPC Competitors

1. The Quartermaster
2. The Unspoken

Results: Vo enters the market with her company but her average quality is 2 so she can only get 2 raises from the army. She will be eligible for bidding on special orders next adventure. The other NPC companies eat up the rest of the market.

Final results for Vo: 3 raises from vice, 2 from crow amulets, 2 from military equipment = 7 raises total.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:05:43 PM by clockworkjoe »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
Using Raises for reputation and titles

1 raise = 30 reputation

Raising a title costs 1 + the number of times you have improved your title.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »
Vo will buy 2 raises in desert supplies.

She will spend 1 raise on "Foundries, Smiths, and Armorers" to upgrade Lao Man's smithing abilities. He will provide +2d when rolling to expand market share in armaments (I'm willingly sacrificing the as written bonus to Might rolls and making it market only).

She will spend 1 raise on the "Mole" asset and ensure she flips someone inside the Quartermaster's operation. His meddling in two of her businesses grows tiresome, and some poor sap in too deep for her at Mahjong is going to provide a one time +3d bonus for screwing up his operation on the sly.

The last 3 raises she will use to upgrade treasure from 2 to 3. That fleet of boats isn't going to come cheap.

So Vo now has 3 assets (Keen was already on the books), 2 desert supplies, and 2 in every quality save Treasure at 3.

...and I'm calling Pirate King "Monkey King" next time I see him, just to devil Ross.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 03:57:13 PM »
Results for Ja'Qim (Jason)

Markets

Guards/Protection racket:

Requirement: Might 1. Influence 1 to engage in a protection racket.

Demand: 1d4 raises for normal guard duty. I rolled a 4 for this adventure.
Protection racket: Up to 6 raises can be extracted from the fearful.

NPC competition: 3 raises among 3 NPC companies.

Note: Every raise of profit extracted by protection racket requires 1 point in influence. It is possible to risk and extract more out of it but that requires a company action (i.e. rolling dice) failure indicates severe criminal punishment.

List of NPC competitors:

1. The Red Tails gang
2. The Quartermaster
3. The Unspoken

Results: 4 competitors (3 NPCs plus  Ja'Qim) in the guard market results in 1 raise for each competitor.  The Red Tails Gang has 1 influence for protection racket. The Unspoken has 1 influence for protection racket. The Quartermaster does not participate in the protection racket market. Ja'Qim has 2 influence so he gains 2 raises from that.

Amulets, charms, healing and fortune telling:

Requirement: One appropriate asset (fortune teller, healers, contact at the local monastery etc)

Demand: 1d10 raises. I rolled a 9 for this adventure. Ja'Qim raised market demand by 4 for a total of 13.

NPC completion: 9 raises among 3 NPC companies

NPC Competitors:

1. The Unspoken
2. The disciples of Ji'an
3. The Monks of Fudan

Results: Each NPC company gets 3 raises. Ja'Qim gets 4 raises.

Final results for Ja'Qim: 1 from guard duty, 2 from protection racket, 4 from Amulets, charms, healing and fortune telling for a total of 7 raises.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:03:40 PM by clockworkjoe »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 04:57:30 PM »
Results for David (forgot your character's name)

Markets

Food, common:

Requirements: Territory 1 Treasury 1. Territory goes up when the army leaves civilization. Territory will be 2 in the desert.

Demand: 6 raises plus 3 from David's company action and 2 from Aaron's action = 11 demand
NPC competition:  8-adventure number among that many groups  = 6 competitors
Note: Hawkers and other means can be used to increase demand.

NPC Competitors
1. Yuan family
2. The Consortium
3. East Empire Trading Company
4. Northern Villages traders
5. Peach Blossom Traders
6. The Trappers of the Underground Kingdom

Results: 8 total competitors (6 NPCs plus David plus Aaron) for 11 demand - All NPCs get 1 raise. David gets 3 raises. Aaron gets 2.

Food, luxury:

Requirements: Territory 1 Treasury 1, and Gourmet connections Asset. Territory goes up when the army leaves civilization.

Demand: 7 raises
NPC completion: 5 raises held by 1 NPC competition.

NPC Competitor:
1. The Quartermaster

Results: No change in market. Quartermaster gets 5 and David gets 2 raises.

Final results: 3 + 2 = 5 total raises for David.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:02:44 PM by clockworkjoe »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »
Results for Aaron

I am only aware of Aaron competing in the common food market. He gets 2 raises from that.

If you wish to compete in anything else, let me know. If you compete in a market some other PC is in, I may have to recalculate their market shares.

---
As you see, raising demand raises total market demand, not demand for your specific company. You get leftover demand if you did do any action to raise demand though.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:02:31 PM by clockworkjoe »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
Some advice:

Caleb has done well because he has integrated working on his business with his adventuring - the spear throwing competition and so forth. He has also expanded into 3 markets, allowing him to grow quickly.

Jason has done well because the two markets he is in are doing very well so far - I've rolled high for those markets so far. That may backfire later on.

I will say this - next session, the other companies are going to react to you as well - they may try to bribe or scare off your employees - steal from you or band together to better compete against you.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 05:47:02 PM »
Good god. How much of this is Reign and how much have you made up?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 06:25:26 PM »
Company actions/qualities/assets are from Reign

The business/market share stuff I made up.

Jason

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 04:51:23 AM »
I will be looking to eliminate the drug cartel and start muscling my way into vice next session. Which competitor is in charge of the drug market?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 04:08:58 PM »
I'm not going to divide the vice market further - the drugs, women, and gambling are all mixed up together. Vo has a gambling racket but it's not like she bars drug dealing in her gambling tents for instance. If you take any out of the competition, you will move into drugs. Note that you do not HAVE to remove a competitor - you can just enter the market if you want.

That being said, the Unspoken are the most powerful of the gangs and the Black Knives are the weakest.